• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tron OFFLINE  

Tron
  • Member No: 46811
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hey all, new to the forum, and new to garden tractors. I recently purchased a LGT 145 that runs good, but needs some serious cosmetic work. The one Mechanical issue I have found is the brakes don't work. as far as I can tell, the band is supposed to grip the pulley on the outside of the gearcase. On this tractor, the pulley seems to free-wheel on the shaft coming out of the gearcase. Am I correct in assuming that this is not supposed to be the case? Any insight into how these brakes are supposed to work would be appreciated.

This seems to be a great group of people on this forum, and I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you and sharing what I learn along the way.

I have attached a pic of it in its current state. Hopefully the attachment works. The previous owner painted it black with zero prep work, so it looks like crap right now. I can't wait to get her back to the blue and white paint scheme.

Attached Thumbnails

• tractor.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Welcome to the forum! On you brakes, I have one of these units out of a tractor. I just went out and looked and it has a woodruff key (half moon shape) in the shaft. "Drum" is not on it.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. There should be manuals for the Fords in our manuals section that may help you with this problem. 

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:58 AM

welcome...What you say is how the brakes should work. The band needs to be tightened just enough so that it slips until the pedal is depressed

That said, I have never used the brakes on my hydro tractors, just go to the reverse pedal and it stops

#5 Tron OFFLINE  

Tron
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the input guys. A figured the drum is keyed, but wanted to make sure before pulling it apart.

I guess the brakes aren't all that crucial on these low speed tractors, but I do have a steep incline on my property, plus a parking brake would be nice. I have the seat pan off right now for painting, so want to deal with the brakes while it is open.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me! Hope you get it figured out as the manuals are lacking on that point!

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 07:54 AM

good luck fixing up your tractor! and WELCOME to GTTALK!! cant wait to see progress, Tom

#8 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:00 AM

My LGT 165 brake is the same way, the drum is loose on the shaft.  I think you will find the drum shaft bore is worn out.  I bought a 125 parts tractor because the drum is still good.  Not to scare you, but the whole transaxle has to come out to repair the brakes.  That is why my is still not fixed, I use it too much and don't have time to do it in one day.

#9 Tron OFFLINE  

Tron
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think you are right Sprint 6. I got a screwdriver in there, and the drum is excessively loose on the shaft. I guess I will be looking for a new drum.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I think you are right Sprint 6. I got a screwdriver in there, and the drum is excessively loose on the shaft. I guess I will be looking for a new drum.

Could be the key sheared at some point! I haven't had an issue with brakes at this point, so can't say what a loose drum is about!

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hey all, new to the forum, and new to garden tractors. I recently purchased a LGT 145 that runs good, but needs some serious cosmetic work. The one Mechanical issue I have found is the brakes don't work. as far as I can tell, the band is supposed to grip the pulley on the outside of the gearcase. On this tractor, the pulley seems to free-wheel on the shaft coming out of the gearcase. Am I correct in assuming that this is not supposed to be the case? Any insight into how these brakes are supposed to work would be appreciated.

This seems to be a great group of people on this forum, and I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you and sharing what I learn along the way.

I have attached a pic of it in its current state. Hopefully the attachment works. The previous owner painted it black with zero prep work, so it looks like crap right now. I can't wait to get her back to the blue and white paint scheme.

Believe it or not, That tractor looks better than my LGT100. Its a lot straighter.