• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Ive been out for 3 years and it seems all if not most people head to college or another tech school right after. I chose to be lazy for awhile and just do things my way but I feel I can do more so while talking to the Mrs I've finally come to terms that I want to go back. I never really knew what I wanted to do in life but after tinkering it came around to me and starting Wednesday of next week ill be starting my first auto body class and im anxious! :D Ive talked to a few body shop owners that im friends with about some of the paint idea's I have they are completely blown away so while im new to this I want to specialize in painting. Did anybody else go to school and enjoy this type of career?

• hamman said thank you

#2 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Took Auto Body in Vo-Tech while i was in high school in the late 80's. Loved it! Joined the Army and started turning wrenches and still doin it to this day some 25 yrs later. Body work is a challenging, but very rewarding career. When you start with something that looks like a POS and you turn it into a gem with your own hands and eyes.... You'll never want to do anything else. Just wish I had kept up with the body work. It changes so much in a 6 month time frame, you gotta keep on your toes. GOOD LUCK!! I hope the best for you!

• hamman and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Greg on here is going to body school.. Sounds like he loves it.. Good luck with your new choice in work.. Study hard work hard be the best... 

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:05 AM

It sounds like you've taken the time to make a considered decision which is the right way to do it. I've seen so many people jump into an education or training program without really thinking about the work that comes at the end. Many times they end up dropping out or never working in their chosen vocation because they have no aptitude or desire to do the work. Cars are changing quickly and the techniques, materials and tools used to repair them must change as well. Good luck and as others have said give it your best effort! 

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Good for you!  It's always good to better yourself in any way you can.  I took Auto body in Vo-tech in high school.  I was good at it but it took me a while to complete a project.  That's when I knew I couldn't make a living at it.  I don't have the patience for it.  I took a couple of years off after high school and that gave me enough time to figure out what I really wanted to do.  I made the right choice and I believe you are too.  Auto body is not just a job, it's an art and those who do it are blessed with certain skills.  Give it your all and take pride in your work.  We're pulling for you!

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone! David that's exactly what I did I took a few years off to just relax away from school and be lazy but now since im getting older 22 is old right? Lol I want to start looking for something I can stick with until I can retire.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Good to hear your going back to school. The one thing in life no one can take from you is what you know and learn.

I'm 63 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. So far I have had 2 careers. 1 as a factory labor, building farm machinery.

The Second doing clerical work as a Customer Service Rep for the nations largest distributor of DVD's and Blueray product.

I am planning to retire and be a  hobby farmer growing produce.

As has been said the Auto Body business has changed greatly over the years.

My Brother started working in a body shop through a Trades & Industry program (in 1970) while in High School. And He worked in that same shop for 33 yrs making a good living. He then retired from that job and went to work for a Resturant Supply Company as a Chemical Tech and travels all over Iowa repairing dish washers, Coffee Makers and Juice Dispensers. It is kind of funny because Del was a Shy/bashful guy and this job has really made him a lot more open and outgoing.

When my generation was getting out of high school you took a job and worked in that field till you retired. That has changed on average a worker will have three careers through life. So don't be afraid to try something new. We spend too much of our life working to not be doing something we like.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 13, 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Mike your a smart man!  Now that you have taken some time to step back and take a look at what's out there and make your decision you will get more out of school then most of those who just go from high school into it.  This is something you want to do so you will put more into it.  Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes.