• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hey guys havent posted in the CC part of the forum much but I have aquired a Cub 73 I traded an old massey I had for it the Masseys are harder to come by in my state but I wanted something different and Im always up for trading. I cant find the ID plate on it but was told it was a 73 model with the engine swapped for a K241 10hp engine. I like it and know I will enjoy it Its going to be my next project but for now Im going to use it as is. Well after I rebuild the carb tomorrow and treat it to a new Battery of course.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0124.jpg
  • IMAG0127.jpg
  • IMAG0126.jpg
  • IMAG0125.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the pics!
Looks like you got a great tractor

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:54 PM

Nice looking tractor.

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 11:04 PM

Nice Cub! Enjoy!

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 05:47 AM

Nice looking tractor.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 06:53 AM

Your new to you cub looks like a nice straight tractor, congrats! That should make an excellent project tractor, thanks for the pics.

#7 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 11:32 AM

I love the old cub I got a battery barrowed from another tractor and despite the leaking fuel (slow leak) and rode it around the yard and towed another tractor with it. then I parked it in the garage to wait for the carb cleaning and rebuild and a battery hopefully this evening. Its a fairly straight tractor and you cant beat what I have in it Lol. I had a dewalt electric impact (given to me) I trade to the Massey I had (MF12 Ran but no belts body was in restorable condition but needed work 3 of the tires held air but the other tire was bad to bleed off and come off the bead) I Traded the Massey to the cub. I got the massey with intentions of fixing it once I finished my puller but never got done with my puller yet so it sat. Decided to try and trade the Massey and was offered this cub for it. I didnt get to see the cub before I drove up to get it but was told it ran and drove and that it had been used to plow and run a disc. I took a gamble and went up after it I got the Sears I posted in the sears forum about the same day aswell. It cost me 80.00 in gas and over 400 miles later I got two good old tractors. I have got nothing but gas money in the cub and traded an amplifier to the sears I had over 200.00 in for the sears so I got both tractors for a little over 300.00 worth I guess if you look at it that way. I think I did pretty good all things considered not to mention I had to take the wife 120 miles up to the dr. which was on the way so I would have had to do that anyway. I think I did good and would do it again.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 07:12 PM

... I think I did good and would do it again.

I think you did good too! That's a nice original Cub! Should make a great project!

#9 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello yall I thought Id let you know a little about what I did to her today I rebuilt the carburetor and had her running like a singer sewing maching I also found that my fuel tank is leaking quite a bit so I drained it and pulled it off. Im going to try to repair it but dont really know what with Ive reapired 1 or 2 with JB Weld and sanded it smooth threw on some primer but I dont know how well JB Weld will really hold up with the constant flow of gas as its leakining right close to where the filter threads into the tank it looks as if its where the the filter mount flange is mounted to the tank is where the leak is. Id love to hear what yall think about how I should repair it or if I should be hunting for a new tank and if so if anyone has one I may be in the market. Thanks Josh

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 07:11 AM

I repaired the gas tank on my 1951 Case SC with JB weld. It was leaking around the area where the sediment bowl comes out the bottom. On the SC's, there is a small metal disc (about1 1/4" in Dia.) that the actual fitting is in, then that piece is soldered to the bottom of the tank. It was leaking around that piece. It has held up just fine for 3 years now. The biggest thing is, just like with paint, the surface MUST be clean! I guess it depends how large the hole is too. Mine was a very small crack.

#11 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 10:15 PM

The way your sc is sounds very similar to the cub it also haa square plate the filter mount is in the center of it the filter threads onto it. The square was what was leaking on mine it must have been a hair line crack or hole or even maybe the solder came loose it di have a dent in the spot the fuel was coming from so I figured the solder came loos there. I cleaned the tank with my DA sander and 220 grit sand paper then I dug the dirt out of the gooev where the plate was and scuffed it with sand paper the washed the part of the tank I was JB Welding I poured it to it (a full tube of the steel and hardener) and filled in the whole area where the square was aswell as lapped it up to the seam on the tank and the rest of the bottom and corners then I put it next to a space heater set at 90 degrees running wide open non stop for 5 or 6 hours to help it cure. Tomorrow Im going to sand it smooth blow on some primer put me some thread tape around the threads and put the filter back on and of couse the fuel line and then add some fuel and see what Ive got. I got the JB Weld at the parts house because I wanted to see what alternatives they had for a tank repair and they assured me that the JB Weld was just as good as anything else they offered and cheaper than most Well see tomorrow what weve got. I tighted up some loose bolts and stuff today and the foot rest had some how broken the bolt head off so I took it out and replaced it with a heat treated grade 5 bolt (stronger than itll ever need) I was looking for the ID Tag but couldnt find it I did see numbers stamped it the trans housing and the grille but was woundering if anyone knew where the ID tag is on a 73. Thanks Josh

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:23 PM

Josh, I think that Cub Cadet 73 is going to make for a cool little project. I love the old Cubs with round fenders :D

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:48 PM

The way your sc is sounds very similar to the cub it also haa square plate the filter mount is in the center of it the filter threads onto it. The square was what was leaking on mine it must have been a hair line crack or hole or even maybe the solder came loose it di have a dent in the spot the fuel was coming from so I figured the solder came loos there. I cleaned the tank with my DA sander and 220 grit sand paper then I dug the dirt out of the gooev where the plate was and scuffed it with sand paper the washed the part of the tank I was JB Welding I poured it to it (a full tube of the steel and hardener) and filled in the whole area where the square was aswell as lapped it up to the seam on the tank and the rest of the bottom and corners then I put it next to a space heater set at 90 degrees running wide open non stop for 5 or 6 hours to help it cure. Tomorrow Im going to sand it smooth blow on some primer put me some thread tape around the threads and put the filter back on and of couse the fuel line and then add some fuel and see what Ive got. I got the JB Weld at the parts house because I wanted to see what alternatives they had for a tank repair and they assured me that the JB Weld was just as good as anything else they offered and cheaper than most Well see tomorrow what weve got. I tighted up some loose bolts and stuff today and the foot rest had some how broken the bolt head off so I took it out and replaced it with a heat treated grade 5 bolt (stronger than itll ever need)

Sounds good! Let us know how you fare.

I was looking for the ID Tag but couldnt find it I did see numbers stamped it the trans housing and the grille but was woundering if anyone knew where the ID tag is on a 73. Thanks Josh

Try looking on the underside of the seat.

#14 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hey guys I thought Id let you know how Ive faired out. I got the fuel tank patched up and fixed I also completely took apart and rebuilt the glass bowl fuel filter that mounts to the tank put on new fuel line changed the spark plug and just finished running all new wiring. I do have a small problem which I will address this week I took apart and rebuilt the starter gen to the best of my knowlege as it wasnt charging and was getting hader to turn the engine over even when jumping it. I cleaned it all up got the brushes annd stuff lined out and put it all back together to low and behold realize Im still not charging I thought it may have been because it had something to do with dirt and stuff but aparently not I dont know what they do to repair them so they will charge but Ill have to take it down to the starter and alternatpr shop this week and have it rebuilt. Other than that alls I have left to do is the usual routine maintence like change the oil and trans fluid and grease all the fittings new air filter then I want to change the tie rod ends and other little pittly stuff then Im going to use it for a while untill I get to make it my project when I get my hunnydo lists and current projects finished. I just want something safe and worry free that I can use for now to tow my other tractors that aernt running to pull my trailer and other little jobs always good to have one thats ready for work. I have another tractor awaiting the same treatment as this one as soon as I get it finished. I needs a carb rebuild battery which i already have a fresh rewire since Ive got the wire routine maintence and then shell be in good shape aswell. Ill keep youall posted on what I get done and how I fair. P.S. I still have yet to see an ID Tag anywhere I may stumble up on it sometime when Im tinkering I reckon Thanks Josh

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 18, 2010 - 11:19 PM

Is this a generator that may need "Polarized"?

Anyone know?