#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:28 PM

ss12_numbers.JPG

About all I know is it starts right up, sounds like it could use a good carb clean.  It needs an inline fuel filter and the air cleaner is completely missing.  I believe the wheel weights are origional.  I took a pic but it was bright so the numbers didn't show in the picture.  I have plenty of time to check, now it's here next to the Suburban 10. Time for me to start doing some research. oh, the lights are missing too.

ss12_grill.JPG

ss12_dash.JPG

ss12_left.jpg

ss12_right.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ss12_weight.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Looks like a nice GT.

• robert_p43 said thank you

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Congrats! looks like its got potential.

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Nice.I like it and the 67-68 SS12's are harder to come by then the later SS12's.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Nice looking GT. The grill piece is there, that's a big plus.

These (just like your SS10) had a tendency to fill up the tranny with h20 so do a drain if it's been outside for any length of time.

The extra 2 hp is nice, but not necessary with an 8" plow.

On the upside; it's got a lighter ( :D )

BTW, :thumbs: on the Wheel Weights. Nice to have a set of OEM, they're 35# each

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 09:01 PM

I think you did good.  I need to arrange a time to come see your machines.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Good looking little tractor, ince base for a restore.

It's a '67 most definitely. I would love a set of those wheel weights.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I was able to download the manual here this morning before my internet did it's normal on/off thing that makes it hard to download anything.  I was comparing the carbs and this one is smaller.  Engine is a 143.652062.  I was able to find the engine manual and that shows the air filter set up being on it side, without the big intake elbow that is on my 10.  Anyone know where I can find the bracket and the air filter housing?  I have the battery charging right now as I was starting it this morning to show someone and thought he had turned the gas on but it was off.  Cranked and cranked before I realized it so I thought I should charge it.  I am also trying to figure out just what the carb is so I can get a kit.  As it sets, I turned the high speed adjusting screw and it smoothed right out.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 01:17 PM

They made air filters both ways, don't think it really matter, what ever parts were in stock that day  :D

#10 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Well. I cut the fuel line between the shut-off and the carb and the line was so rotted inside that there was a pile of black dust.  I then removed it and replaced that part of the line with new as well as a fuel filter.  I tried to idle it down and to accomplish this, I had to loosen the cable and turn the idle screw about 2 or 3 complete turns and then reset the cable.  I let it warm up and then adjusted the carb and it now runs surprisingly smooth at any speed.  If I order the rebuild kit, it may just set on the shelf for awhile.

Tahoe, I think you are right about the air filter.  I have seen pictures of both setups.  In the engine manual that I downloaded, the picture on the front page shows it on top, just like the suburban 10.  Then in the following pages and the parts list, it shows it on the front.

I need to change fluids, grease and oil things up a bit and check the front wheel bearings.  There seems to be a lot of slop there.

#11 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:40 AM

I did a little maintenance on the new tractor yesterday.  I went out and bought new wheel bushings for both front wheels.  They wobbled pretty good/bad.  I also removed the large E clip and added a thin machine bushing to the top of each spindle.

Next, I changed the oil and put in a new spark plug.  I drove it around and out to the garden and spotted another pie pumpkin that I had missed and picked it up.  While I was stopped, I uncovered my Troy Bilt Junior to start and move it.  That started right up on the second pull.  That has a 4 hp Tecumseh and while letting it cool off, to recover with plastic, I started at that carb and filter.  It has one of those little tapered cone type filters.  I am betting that it would fit the tractor.  I may just go back out today and try it.  That could hold me off for a bit till I can get one. Then again, it may fit but be to small to let enough air in.  I have searched ebay and of all the filter assemblies on there, only a couple of them come complete with the top cover, bottom plate, metal gasket and bracket.  And they want way to much, since there are probably about a million out there on blown engines. :) 

#12 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ok, here we go! This will work great till I can get one.  Even if it's one like this, I will be happy.  This is from my little Troy Bilt tiller.

tb_filter.JPG

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ss12