• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jbumgarner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 02:30 PM

OK, I recently picked up a rear engine rider to mow the yard at a rental I will be living in when I move.  I rebuilt the carb and got the engine running good.  I then picked through a box of parts and found everything needed to install the deck.  I got the deck on last night and picked up my final belt and installed this morning.  I fired it up and engaged the deck and heard a load banging noise coming from the deck so I shut it down.  Climbed under the mower and found one blade spins freely.  The right blade drives both blades and the left spins freely causing the right blade to hit the left every so often.  I would assume I have sheared a key or broken a gear, but thought I would ask if this has happened to anyone.  I plan to pull the deck off AGAIN this weekend, but thought someone may be able to give a little advise before I pull the gear covers off.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,497 Thanks
  • 7,366 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:11 PM

There are several possibilities. Pictures and make and model will help. Usually he blades are not long enough to hit each other. Some decks have the blades timed so that they can't hit. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 said thank you