• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tractor Man Jeff OFFLINE  

Tractor Man Jeff
  • Member No: 46911
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 01:37 PM

So my first post here and I thought I'd get some advice on my recent money dump. For a trade of about $160 worth of pork, I got this. I found out later it's a 78 GT 19.9 with the massive "Big Block Onan" under the crammed hood. In a nutshell, a sudden need for cash has come up, so It needs to go. I'm sure y'all know that kind of deal when you buy something knowing you'll never have time for, well that's what I got. LOL  :brain_fart:

Anyway, so after being told the engines needed points, I was skepitcal. I messed with it a little and cleaned all the dad blasted mud dobber nests out of the thing, a little gas in the carb and it roared to life. The carb was stuck flat out open, so some lube fixed that. It is in rough shape, but it runs and moves. All it needs is some front tires and bearings in the front, a gas cap, seat, and a fuel pump. It has the factory 3 point hitch. How should I ask for it?

IMG_1114.JPG

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,459 Thanks
  • 29,553 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 02:52 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk Jeff.

"What's it worth" threads are very difficult. SO much of it depends on location, marketability around you, how many GT wingnuts are in your area... etc.

I can tell you what mine cost me.  $250 and that included the Mower Deck and a Sickle Bar Mower. 

It looks like yours is in decent shape... but the front grill (if unbroken) is worth roughly what you had in the pork or a little more.  Same with the engine if it's a good runner.

The best advice I can offer is to put it in your local CraigsList and put in Best Reasonable Offer.  See what the Market will bear.

The other thing is to play around with it, ride it some and learn why we like these machines so much... you might end up keeping it.

• Newpaws493 and Tractor Man Jeff have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,098 Thanks
  • 8,271 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. What you get for it is dependant on what someone in your area is willing to pay. If you put some time into it you can get more than "as is" . It is a good heavy duty machine and you will have a hard time finding another if you want one later. The advice above is good. Good Luck, Rick

• Tractor Man Jeff said thank you

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,519 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hello there and welcome :wave:

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,206 Thanks
  • 42,670 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:56 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk Jeff.

"What's it worth" threads are very difficult. SO much of it depends on location, marketability around you, how many GT wingnuts are in your area... etc.

I can tell you what mine cost me.  $250 and that included the Mower Deck and a Sickle Bar Mower. 

It looks like yours is in decent shape... but the front grill (if unbroken) is worth roughly what you had in the pork or a little more.  Same with the engine if it's a good runner.

The best advice I can offer is to put it in your local CraigsList and put in Best Reasonable Offer.  See what the Market will bear.

The other thing is to play around with it, ride it some and learn why we like these machines so much... you might end up keeping it.

I'm in agreement here. Those old tractors are hard to beat.

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm in agreement here. Those old tractors are hard to beat.

All old tractors are hard to beat! :thumbs:

I just bought that SS12 for $150 running but no attachments except the wheel weights.  I think I got a bargain as last year I got my Suburban 10 for $175 not running.  I ended up putting a couple hundred more into it and probably wouldn't get my money back right now, maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't.  Around here that is.

I emailed about the SS12 on Sunday through 2 different email accounts as I know both services can be whacky sometimes. Monday I had no reply so I emailed again and a half hour later, I got the phone call.  I told him I would pay the 150 if it starts and can drive up the ramps onto my truck and could he wait till thursday.  He said sure.  He had another person showing interest but since I emailed first, he would hold it.  "Come Thursday evening," he said.  I called about 9:30 Thursday morning and he said I could come anytime after 11 am.  I got there right at 11 and followed him into his driveway and bought it.  Last night I noticed he had emailed both my email accounts early Thursday morning saying To please call as he had so many replies, basically folks loned up to pay the price. When it was on my truck, he told me that if I just left it on my pickup with a 4-sale sign, I would probably get $300 for it today.  I think he's right.

I don't know your market area but after being here for awhile, I know that some people will go through States to buy the tractor they want.

• boyscout862 and Tractor Man Jeff have said thanks

#7 Tractor Man Jeff OFFLINE  

Tractor Man Jeff
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:07 AM

H'm, sounds sorta hit&miss. Guess it just depends on the area. Just by chance Robert, where in VA are you located? It will run, but the fuel pump needs a rebuild and that is a dead end as it's the older suction type. An electric pump is probably the answer. I found gravity feed to the carb dont work well on these big engines. The front grill isn't broken, but has had some repairs done. It currently is just sitting on there as the hinges are busted on the upper grill part. Easy fix.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm in Grottoes, 20 minutes from Waynesboro, 20-25 minutes from Harrisonburg or 25 minutes from Staunton.

#9 Tractor Man Jeff OFFLINE  

Tractor Man Jeff
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Oh! Nice area. We go to up that way every so often to get feed form some good folks in stuarts draft. I guess I'll try the best offer thing, Oh, if anyone wants this beast, PM me. :D

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,459 Thanks
  • 29,553 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Jeff, the description of the hood is what they all did when they broke. Kind of a design flaw IMHO.

Not to trash your tractor, it's still a nice piece and worth saving. I have one and that engine is sweeeeeet. :thumbs:

It's a shame Onan is no more.

#11 Tractor Man Jeff OFFLINE  

Tractor Man Jeff
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah I know, but I really need the money. I don't have the time to properly restore it. Pigs come up this next month for processing and that gets $$$$.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,459 Thanks
  • 29,553 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yeah I know, but I really need the money. I don't have the time to properly restore it. Pigs come up this next month for processing and that gets $$$$.

I hear ya, good luck and if you end up with a GT in the future, remember you're always welcome... Heck, GT's aren't even mandatory, just our main topic :D

#13 Tractor Man Jeff OFFLINE  

Tractor Man Jeff
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 09:32 AM

LOL. Thanks. I'm actually into a lawn tractor hobby myself. I love taking Lawn tractors and turning them in to a off road machine. The tractor in my avatar is a late 90s craftsman LT1000. That has been my long standing project and has come in real handy on the farm. It serves as my "Poor Mans ATV". I have learned so much from "Butch" as I call him. I've learned many welding skills, engine knowledge, and basically anything about LTs and GTs.  This hobby uses the modern tractors and on very few cases, some of the older GTs as well. I prefer keeping the GTs of the "Made to Last" era as classics and not modding them.

IMG_0726_zpsa2af6bda.jpg

Edited by Tractor Man Jeff, September 15, 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whats it worth???