Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Or Did Anyone Commemorate 9/11 Today?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I attended a memorial service at a community I work in this evening.  I was humbled by the response on a rainy evening.  Everyone crammed into the local firehouse due to lightning and rain.

I was put in place by a friend of mine who served in the military.  I was kidding around about something before the ceremony and he took me to task.  I advised him I would not have done what I was kidding about, but he kept me on track.  It was a solemn occasion and my kidding around bothered him.  

It was a nice community event.  Hokey enough for all involved, and solemn too.

Did you and or your community do anything?

• hamman, tinbender7, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:24 PM

The local FD had their ladder truck out front fully extended with an 8 x 12 flag draped down.

I actually drove my truck today. I have two 3x5 flags that are magnetic mount I stick in the truck bed.

• daytime dave, hamman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,573 Thanks
  • 3,896 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:37 PM

No memorial in this community that I know of.  Our firefighters/EMT's are in a somber mood this week as Monday they burried the assistant chief - a 34 year vetran.  He suffered a heart attack two-three weeks ago while on the job and was getting better and looking forward to returning to work when he had another, this time fatal attack. 

One of the local radio stations had many short 9-11 memorials all day long.

Edited by Gtractor, September 11, 2013 - 08:38 PM.

• daytime dave, hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Our town had nothing. They talk a big game but unless they get paid for it they woun't do it. (volunteer Dept.) I am almost sorry to say I was a member of the dept for 15yrs.. I stood out side this morning before 8:00 am and looked at the flag at half - staff reflected for a moment and said a prayer. My son went to the stroe where he works and lowered the flag. Then we were on the road for an appointment.  I wish we could get our community to do something for this every year. It is so important to remember this tragedy and Never Forget It.  Thanks to those who remembered this day with your thoughts and deeds. Roger.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:54 PM

We have a group of people in the city standing on overpasses over the interstates holding American flags. Its a great site to see while trucking down the road. They've done this just about every year and receive total support from all.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• daytime dave, hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Had a personal moment of silence at the time of each of the crashes. One of the guys at work had a 4-6 flag on the side of his truck all day.

There was a memorial in the County seat, but couldn't go.
  • daytime dave and hamman have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 05:25 AM

My flag was at half-staff.

• daytime dave, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 05:46 AM

My flag was at half-staff.

As was mine..  Many memories of that day as I watched it with my late father..  The following days were eerie as you look in the skies and only saw clouds..  I will remember that day the rest of my days and pray for the lives lost due to cowardly terrorists..   May they all roast in the big oven for eternity..  Sorry  Spoke my mind..

• daytime dave and hamman have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 06:18 AM

I grew up outside of NYC. There were quite afew from town that died in the tragedy. As a veteran, I think that the bigger tragedy is the tens of thousands of military that have paid with their lives since. You don't have to have been killed in action to pay with your life. Many have lost their quality of life through physical and psycological wounds. For many, the nighmares only stop when they die. 

The VA is trying to save money by overloading the doctors so, many are leaving. Somebody got the bright idea to hire helpers but they can't really do much so the doctors still end up doing more work. My wife and I use the VA and we are now quite worried about the future of care there. We are not in bad shape but, many of the reservists that were injured in Ws' wars are going to end up abandoned in a couple of years. This is the bigger tragedy.

9/11 is what terrorists did to the US. Ws' wars are what our government has done to another generation in the military. Good Luck to all, Rick 

• daytime dave, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Our town had a big ceremony at the fire station. One of our residents was in the North Tower.

Last year they raised $42,000 and erected a sculpture monument to the fallen firefighters.

My neighbor has been the Fire Chief for a couple years and has become a real Community leader and activist.

Last week there were services for a Police Liutenant(28 yrs of service), who fell to a Heart Attack. And He got our ladder Truck and one from a neighboring community and formed an arch over the drive of the church where the memorial service was held.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 12, 2013 - 11:02 AM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks