Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Anybody Know This Tractor Brand?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 12:49 AM

http://vancouver.en....4042237182.html

I don't think the motor is original, just curious if anybody knows what brand this is as I have no idea.

Kc

$149 OBO
probably 1950's
barn find
personally used it in the 1980's
good yard ornament or even functional with some TLC

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by MH81, September 11, 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:20 PM

it has a whole lotta homemade goin' on in my eyes

I see no idler pulley for slacking the belt - looks like the entire tranny moves fore/aft to "clutch"

I think I see lock ring wheels - most people call them split rim which is incorrect

looks like car tranny which is way big overkill for garden tractor

??????????

#3 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't know anything about this tractor in the picture, but split rims for tractors did happen. My Mighty Man has them, and so did the Graham Bradley full sized. I've even seen a couple of early Wards C models with them.

#4 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,870 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm learning all the time. I have only seen split rims on truck tires before, now I'll be paying more attention when I see an old GT.

#5 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Gtractor,

I thought it looked homemade but I was not sure, now that you say car transmission I can totally see the layout of it.  

The transmission does not move unless you need to adjust the belt, the lever on the handle is the clutch..... really over built as you said.

I use to work in the tire industry and I would see spit rims and lock ring style on all sorts of "vehicles"

Spit rims are nice ...lock rings in the wrong hands can be a killer.  

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'd like to change my answer.  This could possibly be a factory built unit.  At our local show today I saw one that is very similar.  The tranny mounts and looks the same and the huge drive pulley is exact in size, shape, and color.  The local tractor was bought out of a local salvage yard just two weeks ago.  The differences are, it has metal handles - maybe the wood ones rotted? - and the wheels are cast iron spoked wheels with stamped steel rims.  It also has a Wisconsin engine with serial tag of Wards and the most beautiful mint condition Wards Riverside knobbie tires with NO weatherchecking. 

I took pics but can't seem to get them to upload to my computor.   I'm hoping grnspot can get some pics Saturday and post them later.   ?????    :smilewink:

Edited by Gtractor, September 27, 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:51 AM

I suppose by 'split rim' you are referring to the rims that are stamped in two halves and then riveted together???

Many years ago, a crappy old man came into our local Farm & Fleet wanting to buy a new tire for his rusty, worn split rim. He was told he could buy a new rim for cheap. He refused and insisted on the having the tire mounted on his old rim. It blew up and killed the man assembling and airing it up.

Edited by LilysDad, September 28, 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#8 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 01:23 PM

When I was a kid, I worked at an old trucking company changing tires (with a special sledge hammer, hard a** work).  I worked on both single and double split ring tires.  Very dangerous stuff if you don't know what you're doing, especially if you have no tire cage to air them up in like I did.  Death can come in an instant.  Glad I found another profession.