• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 05:54 PM

Some may have seen my other thread (HERE) where I was asking for reviews of a welder I wanted to buy. Originally I was going to get a Miller Thunderbolt, but then I found I could get a Hobart Stickmate online for $140 cheaper, and it is the same welder on the inside! So, I ordered myself one; it arrived today!

They even built a little pallet for it! Here it is after I removed the plastic wrap.

CB1F372F-CC8C-4F3E-BDFF-583D55BBD442-269

Before it arrived, I went online and found the dimensions of it so I could build a cart and have it ready when it arrived. I made sure to go to more then one site to get dimensions, and since they where all the same I figured that they must have been right... nope! My cart is not the right size! However, it is the correct width, so it will work for now.

62E22374-9F95-4CA0-9D30-3D32F68F0957-269

I can tell that the MIG and plasma cutter are happy to have some more company.

F2F25563-D015-4BDC-9176-4230F4A6B9E5-269

I would love to be able to tell you guys that it works great... but I can't! The outlet is the wrong style! I need the one with the three flat prongs, not two flat and a round. I will go get another outlet in a few minutes.

8374FB7F-2F02-4519-A5B2-86C25AA3D76B-269

At first appearance, the only thing I don't like is the work clamp; it is very cheap. It does not look like a bad clamp, but it is all steel and has steel teeth. I am going to replace it with a clamp that has nice copper pads on the ends. I don't like the steel because it will not get the conductivity of copper, and I am sure that the small amount of contact provided with the original clamp will cause quite a bit of resistance.

• olcowhand, powerking56, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Nice.

It's starting to look like a HF store under that bench.

Oh, what's with the extra clean bench. That doesn't seem right.. :D

• Ryan313 said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,801 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:07 PM

nice score, looks like you'll be the go to guy in your area for metal fab work  :smilewink:  

good luck

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:13 PM

nice score, looks like you'll be the go to guy in your area for metal fab work :smilewink:
good luck

I am hoping so! I already have people wanting stuff made! Right now I have a plow mounting bracket for a Dodge 1500 that the guy hit a speedbump with and bent up, he was going 55 mph... The bump was just put in and not painted yet so he didn't see it. This weekend I am going to do some repairs on a skid steer, and I have another guy who wants me to build him a flatbed for a Chevy 3500 he just bought!
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Starting to look like the shop of a pro welder, Isn't it nice to have the right tool to do the job like you want to,

Dick

• Ryan313 said thank you

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 07:17 PM

looks good, nice to have some good tools to get the job done right and sounds like the word is out that you can fix/fab things for folks!!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Nice looking welder. I'm sure that when they give overall dim they go from out most  that would be your adjustment crank and nice arc in power cord so not kinked . You could drill couple holes in frame and put couple of angle brackets like they use to hold stoves from tipping.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Looks good!  :thumbs:

Does this welder have thermal protection? If your like me and most other people the duty cycle on these welders tends to  be ignored. Keep an eye on it during hot weather and you should be fine. 

Enjoy your new welder.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Nice looking machine Ryan. I got a used stick machine last year, bought the outlet but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.  It sounds like you have a nice little fabrication business on the go! 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ooh, post pics of the flatbed build if you do that. I love a good flatbed!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Ooh, post pics of the flatbed build if you do that. I love a good flatbed!

ME TOO!!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I went to Home Depot to get a new plug, and after what I thought was a very expensive plug at $16, I was on my way home to put it on. I got it on and tested it out! The first thing I noticed was how smooth the arc was! It was amazing! Not only was it better then the Lincoln Idealarc 250 machines we have in welding class, but it was better then a Miller Trailblazer!

Here are the welds I made with it, they where all in the flat position; I did not have time to mess around with vertical or overhead. Some are decent, and some are horrific, none of them I was 100% happy with.

38B77D26-F7B4-48DB-8B50-E77EB69848DE-274

While I was using it, I was so excited about how smooth the arc was, I forgot to try the other polarities, I will try them tomorrow. :D

The only thing I did not really like was the stinger; the grooves that hold the rod are not very deep, and it is hard to get the rod into them perfectly. I have another stinger that is almost brand new, and it is much better, I will put that one on tomorrow.

So far, everything seems to what I expected and more!

• Alc said thank you

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Nice looking welder. I'm sure that when they give overall dim they go from out most  that would be your adjustment crank and nice arc in power cord so not kinked . You could drill couple holes in frame and put couple of angle brackets like they use to hold stoves from tipping.

That is exactly what it is! I noticed that earlier when I was changing the plug.

Looks good!  :thumbs:

Does this welder have thermal protection? If your like me and most other people the duty cycle on these welders tends to  be ignored. Keep an eye on it during hot weather and you should be fine. 

Enjoy your new welder.

Unfortunately, it does not have thermal protection, and that is something that I was worried about. I know that I go past the duty cycle on my MIG quite a bit, and sometimes I run it at 2 or 3 times the duty cycle without noticing until I am done with what I was doing. Although I am going to try not to do it with this one, I don't think it will do it intentionally. Have you ever seen ChuckE2009 on youtube? He has the same welder and claims to have used it at twice the duty cycle for 5 hours (if I remember correctly) while repairing a forklift.

• Cvans said thank you

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Haven't seen any of Chuck's videos but I'd be willing to bet that they figure in a good safety margin on the duty cycle. Something I should check on the Thunder Bolt is to see if it has thermal protection. 

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Haven't seen any of Chuck's videos but I'd be willing to bet that they figure in a good safety margin on the duty cycle. Something I should check on the Thunder Bolt is to see if it has thermal protection.

He makes some very good videos! I would say he is up there with Jody on the welding videos.

The thunderbolt will not have it either, it is EXACTLY the same, other then the pretty blue cover.
  • Cvans said thank you