• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Nice looking upgrade. Hopefully, you're adding many usable years to the unit as it is.
One word of caution that just popped into my head: those boards may get more slippy when wet than the steel did.

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sawdust, those angles are factory, I like them better than just squared on corners.

Kenny, thanks, that's about exactly what I plan to do with my lights. I'm actually going to leave current mount, make new higher then add some backup lights down low since I already have the hookup wired at connector on Tahoe and I come home alot after dark.

Would like to see a couple pics of yours in the day if you get a chance :D

I may build a tray for my car ramps under the rear someday, I use longer wood ramps for the tractors.

MH81, yea, there are tradeoffs :smilewink:  thanks for reminding me so I don't fall on my dairyair!

• KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Here's the thread. Most all pics are in it.

http://gardentractor...-trailer-today/

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 11:49 AM

DOH!! I read your whole thread when you did it and completely forgot!!

I guess it's true the memroy is the first to go.

Went back and looked at your trailer when you removed the decking, mine is built a little different. Yours has the C channel crossmembers, mine are all just angles, but then I have 5,  thin pieces of C channel going front to back long ways. I'm thinking the owner who put the steel floor in it originally ( definitely not factory since it's piece milled), put the C channel for support. That's  the main reason I just left plates on there and went right on top, I would have had to cut all that C channel out or added other cross member to support the boards long ways.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sorry for sideways picture, my back was up against fence and I was holding up high to get as much as I could.

Boards are all bolted down, bolts will needed painted along with another coat on metal straps.

That will probably all I do for a bit so this thread may die for a while, still need to move lights up, paint, clean wood/stain, and some other odds/ends.

I got wiring harness pretty much taped up for now, I need a different 7 RV flat connector so not making permanent connections for now.

I really hate tracing these wires, I had brakes before the dog chewed the wires, now I have nothing. It may just be a ground issue, I know sometimes they don't register on controller until I've turned a couple times down the road making ground with ball even thought I have good separate grounds on harness. Oh well, I'll get it figured out.

photobucket-7246-1379555234674_zps4d4d52

photobucket-12822-1379555267314_zpsa0d2b

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Looking good!
Sorry to hear the harness is being a pita.

#22 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:30 PM

The ball makes a lousy ground especially if you have a receiver hitch on your vehicle. Your better running a wire for that purpose. 

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:39 AM

The ball makes a lousy ground especially if you have a receiver hitch on your vehicle. Your better running a wire for that purpose. 

I do have ground wires from truck frame through harness to trailer body, but the brakes on this one seem to not work well until ball/coupler have mated for a few hundred yards up the street.

I have actually ran ground wire from harness all the way back to light fixtures on my little trailer due to bad grounds/lights not working, may have to consider it on this one, but lights come right on. I'm thinking the pup pulled some connection lose near the brake somewhere.

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:53 AM

In this case using an ohm meter instead of a test light might be better. Use it to find higher resistance throughout the harness. From what your saying about the brakes not working correctly at first still sounds like a ground problem. Especially since the indicator light on the break controller wasn't lighting properly. 

Hang in there, you'll find the problem. 

Another thought is that the ground connection between the body and the frame of your vehicle could be bad. 

Edited by Cvans, September 19, 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I hitched trailer to Tahoe last night, shook it back/forth and brake controller popped on and brakes worked. I knew it was ground issue.

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 01:40 PM

well, I never expected this. I was always told to put new pressure treated board together when fresh as they will shrink some as they dry. Sooo, why not put old boards tight next to each other after they dried, right? ...WRONG!!!! When I installed them, I had one board with a pretty bad bow length wise that I used a crowbar to get all the boards in flat, looked great then. After a good few days rain and then in the sun, this happened. Middle board bowed up at least  2 inches and pulled the boards next to it up also. I tired to put in some new bolts to draw it down to no avail, but ended up having to remove straps and pull boards out.....looks like each one will get about 1/4" shave off the sides to provide some wiggle room.

photobucket-6460-1382484961263_zps5135f1

From the back after I took rear strap off.

photobucket-4347-1382484920307_zpsf322ae

#27 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nice... yeah the problem is that those dry boards will still absorb water and swell. You put the wet treated board together because they are already saturated and as swollen as they can be.

• TAHOE said thank you

#28 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 10:03 AM

You found out the hard way but fixable...new boards tight, old boards spaced. This reminds me of a story, it will make your problem seem small. I was building an addition one year & these guys were putting wood shakes on the side of this house. They primed everything white & stained the entire side of the house with a dark stain. I went over to explain to them this was a bad mistake because these shakes will shrink. They said they were premium & there wouldn't be a problem. Later on they had to go back & paint thousands of little vertical white lines...it was a mess.

• MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Well, pulled 6 boards, I think, set my saw fence so I cut about 1/4" off the edge. I cut both sides down the boards so I took off close to 1/2" off each board, basically the rounded edge that is on 5/4 decking boards. Put them all back, re-bolted down plates and good to go. The boards actually have a little wiggle room now, hopefully that issue is done and over. Also added a few extra bolts in the metal plates going across.

It's getting cold and I gotta do house remodeling so this will probably be last update until spring or who knows when :D

photobucket-9614-1382894980229_zpsb9b289

Edited by TAHOE, October 27, 2013 - 12:41 PM.