• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abushey123 OFFLINE  

abushey123

• Member No: 4054
  • 13 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hey im am very new to tractor pulling but i have been working with lawn tractors for a long time.

For a school project and friend and I are planning on building a pullin tractor. The only problem is I do not know what to start with for a tractor. I have heard some good things about standard cubs but what about the hydros? Do thows work well if you can change the pressure?  And last is there any good model or make that would do well? I dont really have any price linitations. The engins have to be gas. And last I am pulling in the 900-1100 super stock <18hp twin  1000-1100  <35hp

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to the pulling world. Been doing it for 15 years. You really don't want to mess with hydro's as they don't tend to hold up well. Any cub model would well unless its the newer stuff 1990-present. You want something with gear drive. The narrow frame models are a good start with the small engine classes. What does your rules say you can do? Youll want to lock your rear together to make it posi and have a good weight system set up. If your able to go to some of your local pulls and just take everything and see how everyone sets their own stuff up. Just cant jump right into and go theres a lot of science behind things as far as weights, the right spot on the track, tire pressure humidity and moisture.  

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Check out Brian Miller's website; http://gardentractor...s.com/index.htm

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Brian miller has been around for awhile and I know a lot of people go to him for information. But for a true experience the best thing you can do is just go out and try for yourself like I did. Started out with 72 sears custom and worked my way up to a mean turbo diesel. Youll be able to feel how the tractor acts to changes to track conditions including air pressure, and weight changes.  

#5 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hello, i think your better off with gear box tran.I have seen to many hydros just cant pull as good. also the gear box tran you can change gears. My stock alterd . db2_zpse1aa5c9e.jpg

Edited by Chris11, September 15, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

• Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Chris you run the NQS circuit?

#7 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Not yet, i picked this up over the summer. I may give it a try next year. Im building an engine for it, and going over the the chassis.I want to make alot of changes Its got the best of the best in the tranny. Im going to start pulling with the snubbers next year. i also have my wheelhorse to play with.100_4482.jpg

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Nice looking rigs there Chris! Hopefully we will have a new toy to play with in the open class as wellre I just hope it doesn't get crazy engine wise.
I heard they are going to refine the engine rules this winter to try and keep things from getting "grey" . Like carbs and spacers and such.

This can be narrowed down by carb bore to cid ratios i think? At any rate, it should be fun just the same!!