Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have tips for growing raspberries?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 08:56 AM

I would like to put in a patch of raspberries next spring. I have a lot of wild black caps and red caps growing on the edge of the woods but have never put in any berry plants before. Does anyone have and tips or ideas that have worked for them?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 11:25 AM

Mike, we have lots of wild raspberries on our farm. I do nothing & have plenty, so I have little info. The ONE piece of advice I do have is NOT to plant any of them near me....I'll eat em! :D

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 12:09 PM

This is a site I found from a post that Poncho 62 had entered when he was answering George's question about planting our garden.
Small Fruit Crops for the Backyard - University of Illinois Extension Wish I had personal experience to share, but hope this helps a little.

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 01:39 PM

Mike,
The info in Grand's link is good stuff, better than I could have typed into a readable post. Pruning of the canes is really critical for long term production of the patch, that we have learned. Plan ahead and decide how you want to support them as that will help determine how you lay things out. Mulching helps keep the weeds down and moisture in the ground around the canes. We use lots of maple leaves every fall. I leave the pruning to my wife, she does ours at home and the big patch at her folks and we usually have lots of berrys every year so she must have it figured out!! Mmmm ... got me thinking I need to thaw some to make a short cake tonight:smile1:
P.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I know it isn't even close to spring yet but I want to have a good idea of what I need so when the seed catalogs do show up I know what to buy. The wild berries I have growing always get eaten up as soon as they are picked!

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 08:01 PM

We had a good sized patch of raspberries at our one old house and at that time I was younger and decided I didn't like the look of the bushes so I knocked them all down. Now in hindsight I wish I would have left them alone. Although I still wouldn't have liked where they were planted.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I had good luck with raspberries from Miller's Nurseries , they have a web site. I made a mistake planting mine , too close to the garden and on flat ground. They would have done just as well on a slope . Here's ones from 2008 biggest red ones we got. Layton I think 0701081814.jpg