• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hello all I came across a Sears Custom 6 awhile back and finally was able to day to get out and get it I actually got two tractors but the other is a cub. Best I can tell My tractor is a 66model because it has the 66 and 67 grille but has the 66 square rear fenders its an electric start as it has the starter generator mounted on it and the belt from the flywheel and all else that goes with it. Its acually fairly decent to be original the front tires may not be original not sure but the rest of it is I was told atleast. There is very little rust s little surface rust but nothing major (Most of the surface rust is on the front top part of the hood. I think itll be a good start to a project. The carb needs rebuilt to make her run good but other than that its fairly sound The seat was changed out at one time aswell and it does need another as it is cracked and split some. I didnt get to get any pictures today as I drove over 400miles round trip to get both my tractors today and it was raining cats and dogs and dark when I got in I didnt get the serial # yet either I gues what Im woundering is what might it be worth all cleaned up. I think I may have some pictures of it that he sent me a while back Ill look and see so that you can more acurately help decide what it worth. Thanks Josh

#2 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 10:29 PM

Here are those pictures I did have a few from the previous owner. Now the stuff you see on the engine ans fuel tank is all just dust and dirt as is most of the other spots on it aswell as leaves all over it. I think itll clean up decent with exception of the top of the hood and a few other little spots. Ill try to get a few more pictures in the next day or two. Just let me know what yall think it might be worth so I can get an Idea of what kind of a deal I got. Thanks Josh

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears Custom 6 Grille.jpeg
  • Sears Custom 6 Rear.jpeg
  • Sears Custom 6 Side.jpg
  • Sears Custom 6 Engine Bay.jpg

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 11:40 PM

Looks very intact. There is a owner's manual for a '68 as well as some other information HERE.

This unit may have had the starter added as the grill didn't have the headlight area & I think (someone correct me) that if you ordered an electric start model, the headlights were part of the package.

As for worth, I got mine pretty reasonable, but there's no spark. I picked mine up for $50. Haven't had a chance to find the spark problem yet & your's has seen a lot less weather than mine has.

I have no bearing as to worth restored. Best bet there is to watch EBAY & Craigslist to see what they're going for locally.

Nice looking tractor. They're a blast to drive and a real workhorse. It was amazing to me how much lawn we cut with the one we had when I was growing up. My Dad brought a lot of scub-brush under control & turned it into lawn with his.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 05:35 AM

Looks quite complete,and looks like a pretty good little tractor.

#5 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 09:44 PM

Here are some more pictures I snapped today before I parked it in the garage I havent cleaned it up yet as it was a little to cold to give it a bath today but its supposed to warm up closer to the weekend so Im going to try to then. I dont think its a 68 model Im pretty sure its a 66 with the square fenders the 68 models had the round fenders on them the electric start may have been added but tomorow Ill get the serial number and stuff to see if someone can tell me what year it really is. I forgot about it today as I was pittling with moy other tractors. I still dont have much of an idea as to what they are worth though or mine is worth anyway. Which is one of the main things to me so I can try to decide what kind of deal I got I did some trading for it but had a couple hundred+ in what I traded to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0120.jpg
  • IMAG0121.jpg
  • IMAG0122.jpg
  • IMAG0123.jpg

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 09:54 PM

I dont think its a 68 model Im pretty sure its a 66 with the square fenders..

I agree, on the year, I was just saying there's a free manual in the Sears Tractor section. It happens to be for a couple of years newer. Hope it helps.

#7 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:38 PM

Its no big deal I thought you meant that they didnt make an electric start in 66 as far as that goes I dont have much of a clue. I also have no idea as to if it ever had head lights or anything like that It may have at one time and they were taken out and rplaces with regular grille inserts from one with no lights. (I wish it did have lights theyd look good I think) Ill try to get the serial number tomorrow so we can find out more about it for all I know it could be any year with 66 fenders Lol. I think its a cool little peice of history and itll be neat to use once I rebuild the Carb and get a battery in it. I had 2 new looking batteries both good in the spring now neither of them will hold a charge go figure Lol. So I have to get a couple new batteries or see if I can get interstate or some one to drain and change the acid in the ones I have and recharge them for me I dont know If theyll do that or not anymore.

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:48 PM

I have never had any luck using the serial number to determin the year.If you have the model number that would be best way to determin year.I don't belive the 66 ever had headlights.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 11:18 PM

I don't belive the 66 ever had headlights.

Does anyone know if had the electric start option back then?

#10 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 11:42 PM

Yes the 66 model had the recoil and electric start option.

#11 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 02, 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ok so it could have been electric start with out headlights and it could have been electric start and be an original 66. I was told it was all original except a few pittly things. I will try to get the numbers and we can see what weve got thanks Josh

#12 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hey Josh, nice looking tractor. I've just gotten my first old Sears tractor which is also a Custom 6. It's a recoil start. If I can come up with the right parts, I would like to make it an electric start. Here's a link to my post when I got it.
http://gardentractor...er/10-6-a-2998/