• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 02:00 AM

I have a few problems with the HT20 that you guys might be able to help me solve.

1. mower deck decided to lose RPM's while mowing. PTO and Deck Belts look good - but they are 15 years or older. Can I adjust the tension on either.. as I believe one or the other is slipping. 

2. The tractor is trying to kill me with Carbon monoxide poisoning. If it wasn't so much fun to drive - it wouldn't be worth it lol. I don't see or hear any exhaust leaks - and the tractor doesn't smoke under load. Just a little on start up, sudden throttling down, or shut off - and really it's not that bad when it does. Tractor does have an electric fuel pump and the carb is not set to the 2 turns and 1-1/4 turn that I had read elsewhere. I can't remember where it's adjusted exactly, but cranked on it until I could get the tractor to idle and throttle properly. 

3. It has a ghost (I'd like to think it's grandpa messing with me). It'll randomly start running forward. It'll be idling.. not going anywhere.. may set for a minute.. or 20 minutes and then suddenly it kicks into forward movement (albeit at a slooooow speed). No clue why. 

This tractor is 100% stock - original muffler, etc. All covers are installed on the motor, as is the top panel. 

Anyways - I appreciate any suggestions you guys might have. 

Thanks again!

Nick

#17 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 06:06 AM

OK, the first thing to do is download the HT20 Owners manual:
http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

On page 22 you will find instructions on how to deal with your 'ghost'.

With belts that old, I'm betting that they are slipping. If you plan on using it full time, it might not be a bad idea to replace all of them.

As for the exhaust, I can't help you.

I do know that with my HT20D with the forward facing muffler, I will at times get a good bit of exhaust fumes as well, especially if I'm running slow and into a headwind. With my 1886 and HDT with the vertical exhausts that's not a problem
  • sacsr said thank you

#18 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:39 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

For the information on the engines, you can find that in this section of the Manuals area:

http://gardentractor...gory/71-kohler/

For decals, this is a very good source:

http://www.clickitan...-Decals/Bolens/

OB do these guys still sell decent decals?They're list prices are ALOT cheaper than clickitandstickit.com

http://maplehunterde...lensdecals.aspx

Complete HT23 decal set for $48 vs $79 at clickitandstickit

#19 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Well, for one thing you said earlier that you wanted the 'late model' HT23 decals, and it doesn't look like Maplehunter has the late model HT23 decals. The ones on the hood for the late models were three colors vs. two colors for the earlier ones, and did not have HT23 printed on them. They had a separate 'HT23' decal that was on the lower right (as you are looking at it) corner of the front of the hood. It would look similar to the one on my HDT1000.

100_4684.JPG

I know that guys have said that some of the Maplehunter sets aren't correct as far as colors go as well.

I'll stand by my recommendation of Click it and Stick it.

#20 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 01:49 AM

Oh I had no idea there were different decals on the earlier models.

I've also seen people say that some they're decals aren't exactly correct.And that it takes a long time to receive them from maplehunter.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 15, 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#21 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 10:38 PM

I haven't purchased any decals yet - but I have looked at Sams, Click it and Stick it, and Maple Hunter. I would prefer to go with the later model HT23 decals for my tractor - but I may end up with the earlier style. I'm in no hurry though - as I still have to prep and paint the fenders and hood on my tractor (which will probably happen after I pull the motor and replace my hydraulic lines/starter). Sources for the later model decals seem to be few and far between..

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 04:48 AM

Could be worse.  I'm eventually going to be needing decals for the HDT1000 ,and at least one G11. Both of those are non-existent at this time, so I'll have to take a lot of pics and measurements, and have them custom made.

#23 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Could be worse.  I'm eventually going to be needing decals for the HDT1000 ,and at least one G11. Both of those are non-existent at this time, so I'll have to take a lot of pics and measurements, and have them custom made.

You better get going on that or you will not have any decals left with all the stuff sitting out side like it is.

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 09:13 AM

OB do these guys still sell decent decals?They're list prices are ALOT cheaper than clickitandstickit.com

http://maplehunterde...lensdecals.aspx

Complete HT23 decal set for $48 vs $79 at clickitandstickit

You pay for what you get.

Maplehunter's Bolens Decals are not correct many times and I dont think the quality is that great either.

• EricFromPa said thank you