• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 11:18 AM

I figure most of the guys here are on the other site as well, as I have seen some familiar user names and profile pictures. I thought I would go ahead and test the waters and see if you guys - and anyone I haven't met through the other site can help me with a few things on my HT20 and HT23. This is my first post and I appreciate any help as I figure out the forum :)

Below are a few things I am trying to figure out:

Does anyone know the torque numbers for the head bolts the the K series twins? Do these need torqued in a particular order?

What is the best way to clean the carbon with the heads on and off (soaking in something while off or seafoam slowly though intake while installed?)

Transmission Filter number for the HT20 and HT23 - any suggestions? I was going to buy a filter and couldn't find a part number online.

Electric Fuel pump vs Mechanical Fuel pump vs Vacuum Fuel pump? which is best? The HT20 currently has an electric pump that looks similar to the Facet pump offered at Kirk Engines - however it seems as though it has to much pressure (although grandpa used the tractor like this for years). I believe it has been slightly rich because of it. I have adjusted the carb, cleaned the fuel tank, swapped the filter - but wasn't sure if I should switch back to a factory pump or go another route? Perhaps the electric is fine - but it seems to force to much gas into the carb (then again I may just need to adjust the fuel flow to the pump?)

Decals - I want the decals on the HT20 hood to look as close to OEM as possible. All other decals are in good shape. Who would you suggest? HT23 - I would like the newer style decals that came on the later model 23's. Who offers these, and who would you suggest. I don't care about accuracy on this tractor. I just want something the looks nice. 

Does anyone know where I could find an OEM Goodyear 18x8.50-8 front tire for the HT20? I want to keep grandpa's tractor as original as possible. One of the front tires was flat while it sat the last 10 years in his garage. It'll pump up, but it has some slight cracking where it layed flat. I would like to swap this tire for one that isn't weathered to help keep the tractor original (probably impossible - but my goal)

I've attached a few pictures of the HT20 - it has sat for at least 12 years without running. Grandpa said the seals blew out of the engine shortly after he changed the oil. However I discovered that it was WAY over filled with oil (still completely clean from the day he changed it). I drained the oil to a normal level and it fired up. I noticed that the motor (after flushing the fuel system and adding new gas) ran okay, but wasn't correctly. I pulled the heads and one of the valves on the exhaust side was sticking open. I have sprayed the valves with liquid wrench, along with the heads so that the carbon could soften. Hopefully I can wipe everything down and re-install these this evening and see how she runs. I will post up pictures after I wash off the 12+ years of dirt and storage grime from her. 

Thanks again for all of the help!

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130827_203046.jpg
  • 20130905_223907.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

The Largeframe Guys should be able to help you out when they read this.

• nglauer said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. You might be able to save the tire by breaking it down and adding a tube. I haven't found anyone reproducing that tire, JD used them on a lot of different models. You might also check with our Site Sponsors to see if any of them might have a good used one. Good Luck and keep us posted!! :thumbs:

• nglauer said thank you

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully one of our guys can help!
Nice looking Bolens!

Edited by sacsr, September 08, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

• nglauer said thank you

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 01:33 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

For the information on the engines, you can find that in this section of the Manuals area:

http://gardentractor...gory/71-kohler/

For decals, this is a very good source:

http://www.clickitan...-Decals/Bolens/

• nglauer said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. The head tightening info should be in the Kohler KT service manual. Since you already have the heads off I would remove the carbon before re installing them. That way there is no guess work about if the Sea Foam worked or not. Then use some SeaFoam routinely to keep carbon from building up. You can also verify that the sticking valve is functioning normally before re assembly. Carbon can be the cause of that problem as well. 

• nglauer said thank you

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Welcome aboard!  :wave:  Enjoy!

• nglauer said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 03:51 PM

OB has ya covered for decals, Nate at Vintage Reproductions does top notch work. I ordered decals for an imported Bolens last year from somewhere else and the decals were fine, but very slow and really expensive.

Torque head bolts to 35 ft/lbs. Sequence is top center, bottom center, and work clockwise from there. (rounded end to your right)

As suggested, I would tube the tire to keep it original and give it a coat or two of MillerTire black paint.

And I do remember you from the other place when I was a mod there. Welcome to GT Talk!

• nglauer said thank you

#9 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 09:12 PM

OB has ya covered for decals, Nate at Vintage Reproductions does top notch work. I ordered decals for an imported Bolens last year from somewhere else and the decals were fine, but very slow and really expensive.

Torque head bolts to 35 ft/lbs. Sequence is top center, bottom center, and work clockwise from there. (rounded end to your right)

As suggested, I would tube the tire to keep it original and give it a coat or two of MillerTire black paint.

And I do remember you from the other place when I was a mod there. Welcome to GT Talk!

Cat385B - what was your username on the other site?

I appreciate everyone's responses. Dad and I estimated that the tractor has sat for closer to 15 years, rather than 12. I pulled both heads, cleaned the head gaskets, and carefully cleaned all of the carbon off the engine and head. I rotated the motor so that I could access each valve individually and clean the backside with a nylon brush and some cleaning solvent. It took a long time to get all the carbon build up cleaned - but it turned out really well. I cut a nice set of Accel high temp plugs, verified that the points were clean and put a new set of Autolite plugs in it (not my first choice - but was the only thing available today. I will pick up something else next week). I also picked up a new fuel filter and Oil Filter (FYI you can pick up a K&N oil filter and 5qts of - I think...Mobile 1 or Valvoline Synthetic for 20 something at Advanced Auto right now. That's a heck of a deal for a filter with the nut on the end - plus it's slightly longer than OEM). Anyways, back on subject -  I installed the heads, sat the new battery on it and crossed my fingers.

She fired on the first crank! - although I had to adjust the carb slightly off from the factory settings. I'm not sure if the fuel pump is the issue. It smoked a little, but I suppose it could get better after some use.

I drove it over to my house from the garage and gave it a quick bath with the pressure washer and some degreaser.

Here are a few more before pictures - including a few of the heads and engine. My project HT23 is lurking in the background as well. 

You can tell that is was blowing oil out - mainly because it was WAYYYY over filled. Once I have a chance I will do a compression test, but I believe it is okay.

1278539_10202036430896939_1393199722_n.j

Plenty of dirt and grime

974507_10202036435937065_1965769155_n.jp

The decal on this side is in poor shape. All of the other decals are in exceptional shape for a tractor this age. 

1241711_10202036433697009_395877315_n.jp

I think these REALLY needed some cleaning

1209041_10202054308943879_113055618_n.jp

Slowly chipping away at the carbon - actually soaking, cursing, and scrubbing so that I didn't score or damage any of the surface. 

1291705_10202054300023656_894183763_n.jp

I can't believe it was even able to run - although one of the valves was hanging open intermittently 

1289829_10202054302183710_1243772336_n.j

I was shocked how much different it looked after knocking all the garage dust off of it. I couldn't believe how well the heads and engine cleaned up as well. My hands were a little to dirty to snap "after" pictures of the engine and heads, but they turned out really well. I actually mowed with it some as well... and moved my newly finished chicken coop/chicken tractor in place with it.

I did notice that the transmission is quite a bit more sensitive than my HT23's. I'm not sure what type of fluid grandpa put in it. I do know that it is red - perhaps ATF? Either way, it was very clean when I check it and is at the correct operating level. 

Here are a few pictures after I cleaned it. I will make sure to take some tomorrow evening after I replace the seat. There is a new FMC seat in the garage that was never installed on it - as my grandfather liked to keep plenty of "spare parts" lol. There is also a REALLY comfortable high backed seat that I would love to put on it - but it's bright yellow :( Perhaps there is a way to dye it? Or maybe I can get it covered somewhere.

This a little dirty - but I plan on pulling the seat pan and cleaning it up some more. I only had a few minutes to dedicate to the "washing", so I can't wait till it's completely clean and greased up. Any idea if these are factory weights? I believe my grandfather actually built them - but I could be wrong. 

1232861_10202055551454941_411914675_n.jp

I have the engine covers - but kept them off so I could clean and degrease it as much as possible. I will probably install them tomorrow. 

1305388_10202055572375464_1042900105_n.j

Please excuse the mess. The shop needs some major cleaning and organizing. My make shift bench was where the HT20 spent the last 12-15 years buried. Grandpa had numerous garages with shop space - and stuff stuck in every available corner.  Man that seat and Steering wheel are ugly - they are definitely on the "replace list"

974504_10202055561215185_211937928_n.jpg

Gas cap works, but the clear cover is busted and yellowed. Any idea if someone sells one of these gauge caps?

1305471_10202055555455041_78931266_n.jpg

The rubber tread piece on the left side is torn (I actually have the missing piece that I will glue back on until it's time to strip and paint the tractor). 

974504_10202055561215185_211937928_n.jpg

Factory 3pt - this thing has received plenty of work over the years. This tractor put many gardens over the years. Grandpa had a cultivator, plow, disk, and dump bucket for the back. He also has a snow blower (single stage) and a manual blade along with a sickle bar mower. I own a tiller and hydraulic angle blade. 

967376_10202055553734998_1510289216_n.jp

I can't wait till I get a chance to pull my HT23's motor and replace the starter and front hydraulic lines. After that it's time to paint the BX wheels, order a set of matching rears - and paint and decal the hood and fender pan (not sure where to buy graphics yet - I looked at the link above - but they seem rather high compared to maple hunter). I plan on polishing the exhaust out again (it's dulled from the near mirror finish I gave it after initially installing it a few years ago). I also picked up - don't laugh - a "chrome" K&N oil filter to match. I also have new LED headlights (need to modify them still), LED indicator lights for the dash, a new LED rear utility light, and a new "factory" style tail light with an LED bulb. I'm also going to try and find a nice aftermarket steering wheel (Hopefully I can make it fit). I will probably add the bearing buddy hubs to both tractors. 

1291525_10202055568615370_1508729097_n.j

It's a little more clean - I will probably media blast these some time and replace all the head bolts with some new ARP one's (on both machines)

1208827_10202055571015430_1560019926_n.j

Decal needs replaced on this side - but i'll probably wait and replace them all at some point - as I do want to repaint this and make it completely OEM.

1368816_10202055574255511_1461971530_n.j

1289867_10202055575975554_900192557_n.jp

My great grandparent's had a Ford/Bolens dealership many years ago (I'll have to ask Dad the exact years they were open). Because of this, pap collected plenty of spare parts (many were pre HT model parts - as he had an earlier single cylinder large frame, then an 1886). Speaking of the dealership... I actually found a binder in one of the cabinets that shows all the private dealership pricing from 1964 or 65 for some of the attachments and a few tractor models. I know it shows dealer cost on a johnson loader, many of the bolens attachments that year for the tube frame model 1050 and 850 - I think. It also has a few letters that explain what to do about a recall/replacement for the seat pan/cushion assembly for one of the models. I didn't leaf all the way through it because I didn't want to leave dirty finger prints (the downfall to messing with greasy tractors lol). Does this site have a literature archive? perhaps I could figure out how to scan and send this stuff to someone that is interested in sharing it on here sometime. 

Anyways - those are my projects. I should have finished my HT23 years ago - but life got in the way. Now i'm ready to fire up the projects, and seeing the 20 that belonged to grandpa come back to life really ignited the Bolens passion again. Sorry for the long post - but wanted to share :)

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by nglauer, September 08, 2013 - 09:56 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Newpaws493 and KBCraig have said thanks

#10 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Nice tractor! I like it.

Bob

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Do we have a library, he asks? Ha! We got manuals up the wazoo! Yahoo is jealous. Click on 'Manuals' on the header bar above. If you have any literature scanned already, uploading it here is a piece of cake. Contact KennyP or Bolens1000 if you have any questions about that.

I was Cat385B at the other site, also.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Nick, That's a great looking HT20, It looks really clean and I'm not sure I would repaint it if that's the original paint. :thumbs:

#13 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Nick, That's a great looking HT20, It looks really clean and I'm not sure I would repaint it if that's the original paint. :thumbs:

I'm not sure about repainting it either (atleast the whole tractor). It does have the typical rust in the foot wells - but not bad. I may just repaint the hood and fenders when i repaint my HT23's. This way I can get double the practice painting and updating decals lol. The front wheels need some attention as well (ironically i'll be painting those BX wheels - so I may just prep and paint the 20's at the same time. 

Thanks again for the compliments - I grew up mowing my parents lawn on a 1050 (which ironically tried to kill me as a little kid - which explains why tractors have 80 kill switches on them nowadays lol).

My current collection consists of 3 tube frames  - the 1050 that broke my leg in 3 places lol, a 900, 850 and a cub lowboy that Dad and I plan to restore with my son one day. I also have 2 tube frame tillers, 3 tube frame mowers, 1 tube frame front blade, a tube frame sickle bar mower and a brinley sleeve hitch or two.These were all passed down to me from Dad and Grandpa - none of the tractors run, but i'm sure they could with a little bit of attention. The mower decks were very well used along with the tillers. I honestly don't know what state of condition they would be considered. I'm sure they could run again - but I may never run them (although i'd love to restore the 900 and everything to fit it).

As for Large Frame attachments - I have a Hydraulic angle front blade for the 23, along with a tiller, 54" deck, wheel weights, and chains. I also have a backhoe from a New Holland L-445 we used to have. It's a compact hoe (maybe slightly bigger than the hoe on Dad's BX24) - that could "possibly" be modified to work on an HT - although it may be to big. Here is a picture of one like mine - although this model has a slightly different mount. I suppose with the right amount of fabrication anything can work - although I may never get around to doing something with it. 

New_Holland_D100_Backhoe_Tag_13959__6_.J

The HT20 has a Manual front blade, Sicklebar mower, 54" deck (as pictured), Single stage snow blower, dump cart that attaches to the back, and miscellaneous weights that grandpa had made for it (including a large rectangular block for the rear when running the blower or blade). The wheel weights that are on the HT20, were made by grandpa - confirmed this earlier with Dad. (Pap fabricated many things over the years including a complete loader from scratch for his IH Farmall 504 tricycle front tractor). It also helps that there is a machine shop across the road from his house and he was good friends with the older gentleman that owned it while he was alive. 

I will make sure and drop some additional photos and details as I progress on these. I'm hoping to swap seats tomorrow and get the carb tuned just right on the HT20. I will probably run some additional seafoam through the intake and crankcase before I change the oil. I plan on picking up another K&N oil filter / Valvoline Full Synthetic 5 quart jug special from Advanced Auto for $29.99 http://shop.advancea..._-Hero-_-Panel2

Thanks again for the compliments! Can't wait to get the ball rolling on these resto's. It's been a long time in the making - but i'm ready to finish what I started :)

#14 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • Member No: 46350
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm not sure about repainting it either (atleast the whole tractor). It does have the typical rust in the foot wells - but not bad. I may just repaint the hood and fenders when i repaint my HT23's. This way I can get double the practice painting and updating decals lol.

I'd say that as far as collector value goes, you're better off with the very good original paint, over any re-paint and new decals, no matter how good a job.

But since this sounds like a lifetime keeper for you, do whatever makes you happy.  :thumbs:

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'd say that as far as collector value goes, you're better off with the very good original paint, over any re-paint and new decals, no matter how good a job.

But since this sounds like a lifetime keeper for you, do whatever makes you happy.  :thumbs:

I will probably leave the paint as is for now.

I also noticed that the front tire seems to have resealed (I believe it had some type of slime in it) but I will probably continue my search for another original goodyear for the front as a spare.

The only other things I will probably do (besides swap the seat out) is look for a steering wheel and add the Kirk Engine's Dual PointSaver Ignition system. Does anyone on here have experience with this setup - or have another type of setup they would suggest? 

I will probably address the few rusty spots on the frame and mower as well.