31 replies to this topic

#31 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 04:59 PM

Todd, the main reason for going out through the roof is to get high enough so that you are at least three feet above any obstructions that would cause turbulence and cause a loss of draft. I have seen them vented out thru the wall, then turned up for a few feet with a good weather cap on the end, and work just fine. the main thing to look for is where you go out through the wall, there are no big obstructions really nearby. Try to keep the pipe from heater to where it goes out the wall on a slight uphill angle. Use an approved thimble to go through the wall or roof, the approval will be stamped in or printed on it. I think double wall for gas but not for sure.

I am not a certified installer, and what I said here is for a general guide only check with local codes.

George

#32 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 03:04 AM

Once again, check the codes. Search for the literature if you don't have them. My shop uses a similer looking nat gas heaters mounted on the wall below the bridge crane tracks, and they go out through the wall, turn up about 2' with a cap on them. They don't even go up above the eve, but it is a metal roof/siding industrial zoning. only time we've had a problem is if someone turns on an exhaust fan without opening a door, it blows them out, and we get some strong winds off the lake.