Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Gilson Lawn Tractor, Good Choice Or A Withdrawl Symptom?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Just wondering if anyone has a Gilson.  I found one on CL for $300 and its real close to me. It is a 16 horse, probably Briggs. I have not seen the tractor yet, but ad says it runs good. A great deal or am I suffering from buying with drawl?  I do not need this mower. But this tractor is kind of cool.

00K0K_1r2JhvtLYoM_600x450.jpg

I have not bought anything since 11:45 AM on June 13, 2013. It may not sound that long ago but it feels forever. It was a John Deere 318 that took almost all of my GT funds. Love the 318 but sure would like adding another to the herd. This one is cheap enough, but I should probably build up my GT fund. I would really like ;

Cub Hydro 14 -16 horse.

Case 224

John Deere 216

John Deere 140

I guess I really like those Kohler's (I have several).  I should focus on getting some projects done. I have a Case 195 that I want to work on this winter.

Sorry for rambling on and on. Can anyone relate or am I just crazy?  butt-crack-740634.jpg I don't want this to be my only seat time!

Edited by A.C.T., September 06, 2013 - 11:59 PM.

• sacsr, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:09 AM

I know where your coming from. I wish I had more gt funds than anything and a little more space for them. I go out on a regular basis and start all of them up and just drive through the yard with each one atleast its a little bit of seat time. Most of mine don't have any attachments so I cant do much with them

• sacsr, tinbender7 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yes, where to put all the toys. Space is limited but luckily my parents live real close. They have a barn and two pole buildings. Never enough room though!

• tinbender7 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:53 AM

ah yes,  gt buyer withdrawls, i got the disease1 year ago, asked for help on this site, apparently its uncurable, you can ease your pain temporarly by buying attachments, paint, tune up stuff and ag tires but they will only cover the symptoms, the only way you will be comfortable is to go out and get that gilson, i would try to get him below $200 i think its over priced for what it is, i currently have about 25 gts, thats about 1 every 2 weeks, i will start fixing some of them up when the snow flys, if you think about it $200 is just dinner out and the movies, the tractor will be around longer but then again take the extra $100 and treat the misses, happy wife happy life

• tinbender7 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:24 AM

IF its not something that you really want, why bother? The interesting ones that are very cheap I don't pass up. But, even $200 for something you don't really want is too high. Take your time. Part of the fun is taking the time to wait for surprises to pop up. Good Luck, Rick
  • Canawler, tinbender7 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#6 Betty Humpter OFFLINE  

Betty Humpter

• Member No: 1438
  • 13 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:20 AM

If you don't do it you will be second guessing yourself for a long time.  I had the same problem with cars.  "ooh look at that one!  (I go over and look at the car) While I am looking at it, my brain starts telling me what I can do and what I can buy to make it look beautiful"  So I buy it and I park it in the garage.  However, I have been fortunate because my wife has witnessed that even if I don't do any work on the cars I still am able to sell them for more than I purchased it.  Old / unique cars or tractors (in my opinion) will always hold value or gain value.

Just do it if you can afford it. 

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 08:33 AM

Its an impulse buy. Its not one you want, its just one thats available. Kinda like the bar at closing time. She is  not miss right, she is only miss right now and just like miss right now you will wake up in the morning and have regrets. 

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nice looking Gilson BUT it will not do any hard work.It has one of those aluminum 5 speed Peerless transaxles under it.I had one exactly like that one and had problems with the deck engage system.They have a small plastic or PVC pulley that the steel cable rides in to engage the deck.My little plastic pulley kept breaking.I replaced it twice in the couple years that I owned it.

There was something up with the tensioner on the deck belt that kept snapping the pulley.I never did quite figure it out.Gave it to my brother to pull his garden cart around with.He's still using it to pull the kids around the yard in they're little wagons.

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:34 PM

IF its not something that you really want, why bother?

Ditto.

If I'm not mistaken, that Gilson is one of their lawn tractors, not a garden tractor.  Their GTs are great but do you REALLY want what isn't much more than a box store mower?

Its an impulse buy. Its not one you want, its just one thats available. Kinda like the bar at closing time. She is  not miss right, she is only miss right now and just like miss right now you will wake up in the morning and have regrets. 

Why do I get the feeling from that statement that you speak from experience? :smilewink:  :poke:

#10 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Ditto.
If I'm not mistaken, that Gilson is one of their lawn tractors, not a garden tractor. Their GTs are great but do you REALLY want what isn't much more than a box store mower?

You are correct. I have both and really do favor the GT's. I really should find a JD 212 - 216 as I have a really good snow blower for it.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Why do I get the feeling from that statement that you speak from experience? :smilewink:  :poke:

More than once. What can I say I am a slow learner on somethings. :D

• A.C.T. said thank you

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hi! My name is A.C.T. and I am an addict!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#13 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have been waiting for a GT that fits my needs. A lot of thought went into this. Just waiting for the right one. Waiting. Being responsible and waiting.

OOPS!

GEDC0492.JPG GEDC0494.JPG GEDC0493.JPG

Next one will be the responsible one, I promise!

Just couldn't resist the boat seat!

Edited by A.C.T., September 24, 2013 - 05:01 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#14 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Nothing wrong with the Boat seat IMO.They don't cost as much as a garden tractor seat and you can recover them easily if they get ripped up.the folding back is awesome if you happen to leave it outside in the rain and snow.Just flip it up and away you go.

• A.C.T. said thank you