3 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I looked at this today but didn't start it.  A friend just picked it up along with some other stuff.  He cleaned it up, and oiled moving parts and started it up.  He said it could use a carb cleaning and I can have it for $75.  It's not a chipper.  I know it isn't meant to have 2 inch pieces of wood thrown into it but it looks like it would be great for the forcythia prunings and corn stalks and stuff.  I usually just keep running the stuff over with my riding mower. Sears parts direct has basically no parts available for it.

Anyone have one of these?  How about a manual?  I looked around today but will keep looking for a manual download.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:51 AM

A picture would help. I have 5 chipper/shredders and rarely use them. I have them because they were less than $20 each. I'll fix them and sell them for about $100 each. That will make up for the $500 I spent on Simplicities last month. One of mine was a freebie at our transfer station. If you are patient you can probably pick up a freebie that won't start. Clean out the mouse nest, clean the carb, and sharpen the teeth. Many have reversable teeth. Good Luck, Rick

• robert_p43 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Found a pic of the cover of a manual on eBay, but struck out on finding you an actual manual.
Sorry.

FWIW, they Mae choppers that went on the front of your Sears. I know this because I have seen pictures and pine for one... Not because I'd use it, just because they're neat and unusual... IMHO.
  • robert_p43 said thank you

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I went and checked it out.  It sounded like it ran pretty well and started up easily.  I took a good arm load of forcythia branches and it wouldn't pull them in.  The corn stalks went right through, and chopped them into tiny bits.  Then my friend got frustrated cause I noticed gas just running out of the carb. I told him to check that out and call me back another day.  I should have just offered him $50 and took his frustration away. I am sure a rebuild kit could be found, even though it's a 70's Tecumseh vertical shaft engine.