• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Another tractor followed me home the other day and this time it was an older 646. Structurally it is sound but it ends there. Banana plate and associated hardware is all shot and the engine is not an Onan and it smokes like a house afire. I don't know if this will work or not but I intend to drop in a Lombardini 315cc diesel engine that I happen to have. It is only a seven horse engine but I'm hoping it has enough snort to do the job. Does anyone have know if I am just wasting time in trying this? I would rather not have to buy a new engine since I already have a new diesel just waiting to be put to work.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Congrat's on the new Case. I don't think that Lombardini would be enough engine for the job. That half the engine it had and even if it's a diesel that's still cutting it close. We'll be waiting for pics.

• Case-Closed said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Considering an 14 /16 hp engine of yesteryear was a lot more robust than a 25 hp engine of today I think a 7 hp motor, even while diesel would be hard pressed to perform well in a working loader like you have, but maybe as a show tractor it would work. :smilewink:

#4 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 08:15 PM

This is not the answer I wanted but what I expected, I just happen to have the diesel and really would love to find a place for it other than in the corner of the garage and since the 646 needs an engine it was an easy choice.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Give it a try, as long as you aren't doing PTO work you might be OK. It's surprising what 7 real HP will do. 

#6 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I really would like to try the little diesel in the 646 but considering the amount of work the installation will need I had better pass on it as I only want to do an engine install once so I need to get it right. I guess it's time to look for a modern v-twin of around 18HP

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:20 PM

For the money you are going to spend on a new V-twin, you can buy a good used Kubota Diesel and pull the engine out of it and drop it in the 646. I bought a HST 1600 for $400.00 last year just for that purpose. Man, that would be one sweet loader tractor then.

• twostep and Case-Closed have said thanks

#8 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Id give it a try with the 7 horse. . Its an air cooled motor and you just need to hook up a hydraulic pump. at least it would be useable until you found another engine to repower it it doesnt work out.

Ive got a 12hp diesel in a tractor that had 20hp gas and it powers the deck just fine in heavy grass. Remember the 644 was the 14hp version too. PTO driven attachments is where you need power

#9 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think I just might give it a try, I dont need a pto as I have no mower not to mention the pto hardware is all missing. The fuel tank is mounted on the engine so all I really need is the pump mount and a set of lovejoys. The engine is electric start with a ripcord for backup. If nothing else, it will be an interesting experiment.

15_ld_315_1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 15_ld_315.jpg

Edited by Case-Closed, September 18, 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#10 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:39 AM

In addition to the Lovejoy coupler you will require the proper pump mount. The bolt pattern on the diesel engine is likely not the same as the one on the original engine. Also you will need to take into account the length of the output shaft of the new engine since the output shaft of many o the engines that fit in the original Case / Ingersoll tractors were short stub shafts. There are a tremendous variety of pump mounts available with all sorts of dimensions and bolt patterns so I am sure you can find the right one for your intended use, but it may take some work on your part to find one.

I have run into this issue with a Case 224 that I want to put a clone 10 HP diesel in. I have the tractor and the engine but I have not yet acquired the pump mount. I had hoped that I could modify the original mount from the tractor but the bolt pattern of the diesel engine is way different than either the Onan or Kohler engines that originally powered the Case tractors.

Good luck with your conversion. It will be interesting to follow your progress and see how everything turns out.

JN

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I don't know, this 7hp diesel might do fine if not mowing.  On my Massey with 16hp diesel, I rarely go past half throttle doing it's hardest work with the loader.  So this 7hp at full throttle ought to do fine for pulling stuff around, light ground work/etc.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#12 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:24 PM

If pump mount or love joys are difficult to find or fabricate you can always belt drive the pump.

#13 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 12:15 PM

After kicking this around a bit and taking the advice of a friend who does a lot of engine conversions,  I have decided to just sell my little diesel and do a proper engine installation on my 646. I ordered a new Kohler 18 HP engine that should be in my hands next week. In the end, doing a bunch of work and buying adaptors for an engine that most likely won't do the job is a waste of time and money. In the past I used to hire out with my Case 444 and do garden tilling and other small jobs. I need to get the 646 operational so I can get out there and make this small tractor addiction  pay for itself.

Edited by Case-Closed, September 20, 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#14 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 12:10 AM

New Kohler is in the house and the fitting has begun, fotos will soon follow.

#15 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 12:44 PM

If pump mount or love joys are difficult to find or fabricate you can always belt drive the pump.

This is partially true. If you are talking about driving the original Case / Ingersoll hydraulic pump with a belt you would need to fabricate a mount with bearings that support the pulley and shaft separate of the pump. That is because the pump is not designed to handle the side loads that a belt and pulley arrangement would create. If the shaft has support bearings on both sides of the pulley they would handle the load and isolate the pump from them. I think that there are pumps made that can handle direct mounting pulleys, but you would need to find one that matches the OEM pump specs.

JN

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 646, diesel, repower