• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:19 PM

cheluIS, no problem with your background.  We welcome all here.  Helping others is what we like to do best, so ask away when you feel the need.  None of us were born with knowledge...we ALL had to learn.   

One question on your plow....the metal piece in front of your plow's leading cutting edge....ours normally has a coulter wheel to slice the ground ahead of the share.  Yours looks to be just a flat bar.  Seems that would create a lot of drag as well.  If you either removed it, or replaced with a rolling blade wheel, that too would help with plowing ease.  Or am I seeing wrong on what that piece of metal is/does?

Also, when moving the plow to the right...you may actually need to overlap the last furrow some, as there is usually flex in the plow which kicks the plow a bit more to the left under a load.  You will see if it flexes once you get it close.

• Sawdust said thank you

#77 cheluIS OFFLINE  

cheluIS
  • Member No: 46558
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:43 PM

@olcowhand .The metal piece in front of plow is a "precutter" , that's how I bought the plow . All plows that I saw I stores are like this . Is a metal bar with a little sharp edge . Only the bigger plows for big tractors - up to 25-50 hp have the precut wheel . I was thinking to put a cutting wheel in front of plow but the time is the problem . I also have to study how to put the wheel ...diameter,how high , distance to plow , etc. and where to buy it .

WP_20131104_002.jpg

"Also, when moving the plow to the right...you may actually need to overlap the last furrow some, as there is usually flex in the plow which kicks the plow a bit more to the left under a load.  You will see if it flexes once you get it close."

You mean to pass with the left wheel of tractor over two furrows and let the plow in middle where it is ?

Maybe some pictures of your plows to see the wheel?

Edited by cheluIS, November 04, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#78 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:42 PM

cheluIS, I'm pretty sure that Olcowhand makes and sells gauge wheels.

#79 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thank you MFDAC. I also need a pic of the bolt if you have one .

@olcowhand . I measured the width of the plow ,the "cut" is 15 cm wide . I think I have to move the plow 9 cm to the right (viewed from back of tractor) . So the next row will be near the previous row . Now I have aprox. 25 cm between rows . Thank you for observation . Live and learn .

You have to understand that I'm new in this and I don't have agricultural background -I was born in a big city , I was for 15 years in IT&C and last 10 years economist ...

I'm very pleased that I found in this forum help and advices.

Thank you again you all.

Hello again, I got a bolt off and took pictures. I'm sure you can convert it to metric, or maybe you need the sae bolt? it is 3-3/4" long and is a 1/2" NC thread. I was raised in a rural setting, but like you, not in agriculture.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12 wheel weight bolt 001.jpg
  • MF12 wheel weight bolt 002.jpg
  • MF12 wheel weight bolt 003.jpg

• KennyP, Sawdust and cheluIS have said thanks

#80 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:25 PM

@olcowhand .The metal piece in front of plow is a "precutter" , that's how I bought the plow . All plows that I saw I stores are like this . Is a metal bar with a little sharp edge . Only the bigger plows for big tractors - up to 25-50 hp have the precut wheel . I was thinkink to put a cutting wheel in front of plow but the time is the problem . I also have to study how to put the wheel ...diameter,how high , distance to plow , etc. and where to buy it .

attachicon.gifWP_20131104_002.jpg

"Also, when moving the plow to the right...you may actually need to overlap the last furrow some, as there is usually flex in the plow which kicks the plow a bit more to the left under a load.  You will see if it flexes once you get it close."

You mean to pass with the left wheel of tractor over two furrows and let the plow in middle where it is ?

Maybe some pictures of your plows to see the wheel?

This will better explain the overlap.  In theory, (when viewed from behind tractor with plow mounted) you want the trailing edge of the plow share (red dot in pic) to align with the inside edge of your right rear tire.  But if there is flex, your plow can be deflected to the left, which may leave a strip of un-turned soil.  If it does deflect, then you must move the plow more to the right to make up for the flex, which would overlap the "red dot point" a bit past the inner edge of the tire.

This pic also shows one type of coulter wheel.  Most have a round bar holding the coulter wheel.

plow.JPG

• KennyP, Sawdust and cheluIS have said thanks

#81 cheluIS OFFLINE  

cheluIS
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Now I understand what you mean . Very important info form me .Thanks. Tomorrow (in fact today , is 1:30 in midnight) I'll search in stores a kind of wheel to put at my plow .

#82 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I started a thread some time back about my Massey and the plow.  If you look it over you may find some information that will help you.  In particular, one of the pictures in THIS post :

http://gardentractor...-plow/?p=135420

has a picture looking from the front of the tractor along the right front tire to the back, and you can see how the plow sits.  It also should have some information that should help you 'level' the plow so it sits as it should when your wheels are in the furrow.

• olcowhand and cheluIS have said thanks

#83 cheluIS OFFLINE  

cheluIS
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you again for your advices . I modified my plow.Bought a disc from a seeder , drill it in the middle and adapt it to the plow .The disc replace the precutter.

d1.jpg d2.jpg

Moved the plow to the right as olcowhand recomended so the furrow is overlaping .

pl3.jpg pl4.jpg pl5.jpg

pl6.jpg pl7.jpg pl8.jpg

The plow is working much easier but I still need the wheel weights.

And the result :

pl1.jpg pl2.jpg

For me as an amateur gardener the result is good enough .

Two small videos :

http://youtu.be/tbjvvcrAIu0

http://youtu.be/VAD52h0yR_4

Keep in touch .

Edited by cheluIS, November 09, 2013 - 01:56 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#84 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Looks great!  Now, are you going to make a disc, or are you going to use a tiller to break up the clods of dirt?

#85 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Much better!  Weights will make a huge difference.  You can also fluid fill the tires to add more weight.  You can use 1 part ethanol/alcohol to 4 parts water for a freeze proof mixture.  Break the bead on one side, and with tire on it's side, simply push the tire down just a bit off the bead, fill till it comes up to the bead, then air back up.

• Sawdust said thank you

#86 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 04:19 PM

That's looking much better! Glad the guys could help you out!

#87 cheluIS OFFLINE  

cheluIS
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 05:00 AM

@HowardsMF155 .I'm gone build a tiller connected to tractor PTO . Hope to finish this project till spring . This winter I want to make some improvements to the dash and put an actuator to 3PH .

Now , after I finished the plowing I have to make the handrail at the parking as my boss (read wife !!!) ordered .

• HowardsMF155 and Sawdust have said thanks

#88 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Must keep the boss happy. :D

Glad you're happy with the outcome and will be watching for future builds threads.... Even the handrail :thumbs:
  • Sawdust said thank you

#89 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Great write up very enjoyable :)

#90 cheluIS OFFLINE  

cheluIS
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Off topic ...

Despite that she wasn't very happy with me buying the tractor , my wife made me a big surprise .

Tomorrow is my 45 anniversary so she ordered this birthcake for me . Very tasty ...

C01.jpg

ani putere means in roumanian years (of) power - you know ... horse power

Enjoy the details :

C02.jpg C03.jpg C04.jpg

C05.jpg C06.jpg C07.jpg

I really was surprised by this cake and I like it so much so I wanted to share this with you .

Hope I didn't upset anybody with this offtopic post .

Keep in touch .

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks