• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wanted to pick everyone's brain here and see what I can come up with.  I want to run one hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower a front dozer blade for a mount I'm building.  I'd like to be able to do it with the hydro's pump/fluid/lines, etc, and not have to buy an elaborate setup of another pump, resevoir, etc.  I've heard guys on here ask about tapping into the hydro to run power steering and folks comment that the pump doesnt have enough poop to do it as well as run the drivetrain and the deck lift.  But what if I isolated the system?  T'ed it, put 1/4 turn valves on and then ran it to another control valve that operated the dozer blade mount?  So basically I'm saying isolate the deck lift when I'm not using it by closing that off, and using the hydro's power to operate the dozer blade cylinder....?

How big a cylinder (PSI and stroke length) can I run?  I know the stock 145 cylinder isnt that big and I dont think it'd raise it up as far as I want, nor do I think it would survive the punishment it would need to take for a dozer blade.  Would I have to put in another resevoir since I'd need more fluid in the system?  How would I do that?  I've looked at Electric/Hydraulic actuators but I'd need to sell a kidney or risk divorce to be able to afford them.  Anyone have any ideas on how to add hydraulics and/or more hydraulic capacity to a 145?  I've heard of people using old power steering pumps (and this might be possible cause I dont think I'm going to re-install the rear PTO once I get the tractor rebuilt and could use that bracket/pulley) but I'd still need another resevoir and where in the heck would you find space to put it?  Any ideas?  Thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 03:23 PM

my 145 (closed sided) has a second  hydraulic control that has a set of ports on the front, on my tractor it runs the left to right action of my 4way plow. so the system can handle a cylinder like that for just a plow to go up and down, IMO. it cannot handle the needs of a FEL which requires much more. 

another option is to use a cheap winch to lift the blade, although this wont give you down pressure, it will do the job. there are a couple plow blades done that way here on this site, i'm sure someone can help with more info 

good luck, Tom

Edited by TomLGT195, September 06, 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Absolutely NOT AN ISSUE ! It will easily handle a second and third circuit! As far as psi , It will only have about 800 psi max. But that should be enough for most apps.
  • TomLGT195 and Firemang have said thanks

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:58 PM

as stated before you could run your lift ram, if it were me i would put in the t's with 2 ball valves on each t that way you could isolate either ram and use the same valve that on your tractor already.

• Firemang said thank you

#5 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Absolutely NOT AN ISSUE ! It will easily handle a second and third circuit! As far as psi , It will only have about 800 psi max. But that should be enough for most apps.

Ok so how would I go about tapping into it?  And what do I do about the fluid?  Just add more until it all works right and smooth?  I might go the isolation route as I suggested earlier and "nbent" seconded, but if I wanted to just add another toggle do I just tap into the pressure side of the pump and run it to a valve, connected to my cylinder?  Double action or single action cylinder?  Sorry for all the dumb questions, I'm a little slow when it comes to hydraulic systems, I wrench on centrifigal fire pumps for a living so I havent had much exposure to em.  Thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:29 AM

The hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers the deck on my 125 open side, will also raise and lower my plow. Good Luck, Rick

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:11 AM

The hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers the deck on my 125 open side, will also raise and lower my plow. Good Luck, Rick

i guess i did n't catch that earlier.  Firemang , why aren't you looking for a stock blade that works off the existing system?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 02:40 PM

i guess i did n't catch that earlier.  Firemang , why aren't you looking for a stock blade that works off the existing system?

Well I've built a sleeve hitch that's connected to the deck lift cylinder, thats on the right side of the frame, but that's only for implements I have mounted off the back, I'm talking about a mount/cylinder for front mounted implements.   I bought a 40" Deere front mount dozer blade that didnt come with hydro's for an extremely low price at a barn sale that I'm going to adapt to my 145 with a custom mount.  So that's why I need to run another circuit so I can raise and lower that.  I'm acutally going to try to make just a mount that'll raise up and down and then make mounts that I can pop the dozer blade on and off so I dont have to take the entire thing off the machine.  I'm also going to build a front mount brush cutter similar to the Simplicity 990370 that A/C used to make.  So I want to be able to pop the dozer blade off, put the brush cutter on, and utilize the same mount.   I was looking on Ebay last night, and realized I'm a big dumb idiot when what I should be looking for is just another garden tractor cylinder with a longer stroke, like 8" or 12".  Anyone out there know of who makes garden tractor cylinders?  ASC, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc only have 2500 PSI and greater cylinders for larger machines and I havent had much luck finding a company that makes smaller ones for machines like ours.

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 03:23 AM

PSI means nothing othan MAX pressure it can take, not what it needs to operate . So if you have a cylinder rated at 2500psi it will work just fine ,as you only have 500-800 psi to work with.

• Firemang said thank you