daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Once, I had spent two hours picking trash off a community, only to look up and see a sedan with 4 young men come driving up and they threw a McDonald's bag out on the road, turned into the parking lot and parked.  I ran over, picked up the bag, cuaght up with them and said, "Hey, I saw this fly out of your car, it looked like it might be important, so I'm giving it back to you"  Nobody even had the good manners to apologize to me.

Good one Howard.  That's the way to do it.

• hamman said thank you

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've watched people dump ash trays on the ground and then ignore me yelling and speed off.

Be careful there Big Guy!

Once in a grocery store, the guy and his wife loaded a heaping grocery cart on the belt meant for 'twenty items or less'. I was behind them and I said you have more than twenty items. The guy wanted me to go out in the parking lot with him!!! Very mature.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 11:38 AM

I feel your pain. I am a trustee for our church and help keep up with lawn duties. We have a small pond that we welcome to fishers, but in the last year or so, the litter has gotten horrible. The pond is down in a hole to say, now people think it's just perfectly fine to drive their trucks down there and park....tearing up the ground/grass as they do it. We even had some kids tear down a section of fence in the back field that backs up to a neighborhood and rides their ATVs in field and all around pond. I even found a drag line tied to our bench and connected to a treble hook in the water....catfish or turtle fishing I guess.

People just have no respect for anything or others property anymore, they are all "owed" whatever they want.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#19 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Be careful there Big Guy!

Once in a grocery store, the guy and his wife loaded a heaping grocery cart on the belt meant for 'twenty items or less'. I was behind them and I said you have more than twenty items. The guy wanted me to go out in the parking lot with him!!! Very mature.

Funny no one ever wants to me to go out to the parking lot with them.

We had a neighbor that was throwing trash in our yard until he made the mistake of throwing a receipt out that had his name on it. The police had some nice words with him.

About a year or so ago we had trash all over the place. Everything within 12 miles looked like a drive by dumping. I finally figured it out one day when I got behind a garbage truck with the top open and trash flying everywhere. I called the complaint number and got a recording. Called the highway patrol and was told they would look into it. Then I started calling the company and went all the way up the food chain to the president of the local division. He was appalled. Driver got fired and they had crews out here for weeks cleaning everything up.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#20 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 02:18 PM

'Nuff said right there MH!! I see some A-hole tossing cigg butts out their car windows and wanna throw a rock at the ba$$$tard! I'm always picing up trash in the yard by the road from inconsiderate pigs.. They just don't get it.. :wallbanging:

Yikes !! I've thrown butts out my window. Please don't stone me to death.

It's not a common practice for me. But I've done it.

I keep a trash can between the seats in my work van. 100 % of the trash I make goes in it. (Except for a butt here and there)

I'm so glad I live on a dead end street, no one uses it and it doesn't get trashed.
My 12 y/o son has been volunteering for town street clean ups for 5 or 6 years thur Boy Scouts & cub scouts. It amazed me just how much trash you don't see driving, but when you walk or bike the same roads, its loaded with trash.

Many people are just slobs and don't care. That's the bottom line.

• hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#21 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Here is my problem with littering.  I don't camp, if I did I would feel the same way as you do about treatment.

What bothers me is this.

I live in a rural area of I'd say 75 people in the town.  Most of the land is owned by 5 families that own the farms.  The rest of us in town have 1 acre to 5 acre lots, some have smaller "town" sized lots.

Well, the farmers don't care if you ride along their fields and get back into the woods on sxs and atvs.  People started dumping their garbage in the farmers field, which angered the farmers, and up goes a bunch of gates.

People and their trash ruin so much for so many people its not funny. 

I've known most of the farmers and their families since I was a toddler.  I went up and knocked on their doors and talked to them about me and my family riding across their fields to the trails in the woods.  They all went in the house and came back out with a spare key.  They know I am responsible and take care of their property like it was my own.

I do throw my butts out the window(don't stone me!!!) but I throw my trash on the passenger side floor and clean it out when it reaches the top of the seat bottom!

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 06, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Illinois just passed a law, it's a $1500 fine for dropping a butt outside.

• hamman, Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 04:01 PM

Unless local police enforce it, it won't change things much.

• hamman said thank you

#24 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 04:40 PM

You state ain't rite anyways. Just look at the big White House in DC.

Did I say that out loud ? Please don't stone or taz me bro.
  • hamman said thank you

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 04:46 PM

You state ain't rite anyways

No!!! You think so? First I've heard.

I just got my FOID card renewed. It only took 4 1/2 months to get it.

Edited by LilysDad, September 06, 2013 - 04:47 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#26 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Good for Illinois---- have any of you fought a field or forest fire caused by a lit cigarette butt? I won't say all, but a lot of fires that start along the highways' edge, can be directly traced to a butt tossed out of a vehicle window.
  • hamman said thank you

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Good for Illinois---- have any of you fought a field or forest fire caused by a lit cigarette butt? I won't say all, but a lot of fires that start along the highways' edge, can be directly traced to a butt tossed out of a vehicle window.

I've had a cig butt come in my helmet on a hot day when i had the visor open and one burn the back seat of my jeep when i had the top off.. The helmet one got the guy a good conversation.. Im sure he never tossed another out the window..

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#28 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Actually odedeeres I have fought forrest fires caused by a butt thrown from a vehicle. Let me tell you it isn't pretty, and it is definately scary! In all the time I was a volunteer firefighter (about 30yrs a "hobby hoser") I've had to fight several due to this along the roadways. Of course they never had a person to pin it on but the butt was still there. Roger.

• Newpaws493 and oldedeeres have said thanks