#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:09 PM

In Michigan you can camp in the state forrest with a free permit from the Department Of Natural Resources (DNR). This is one of the best ways to camp as far as I am concerned.

I grew up camping this way. From a big surpus army tent in 1949 to our 5th wheel trailer today. One of the things I liked about this was the freedom you had while in the forrest. You can run through the woods and play in the creeks and lakes and no one would bother you. My dad would take us to the forrest in the summer for a camping week. Sometimes we would use a state campground but mostly in the forrest. Dad would leave every morning to go to work. In the evening he would return and mom would have dinner ready for him. After dinner dad and my brother would go fishing in the lake or stream. We fought mosquitos, gnats, black flies and bees. But it was a great time. One of the big things my dad would tell us was that we needed to was leave the forrest better than we found it. We would gather "Pine Knots" from fallen and decaying pine trees. We used them for the fire at night in a fire pit we dug and lined with rocks we picked from the area and made a ring around the fire pit to keep the fire from spreading. When we left the forrest dad would make us take the rocks and scatter them around and then we would carry pails of water from the lake or stream and pour it on the fire pit stiring it up to make sure the fire was out. We never left anything behind. No paper, cans, tarps, cloth nothing. We even dug a "Privy" for the family and then filled it in when we were leaving.

Recently the wife and I with other family members were camping in the forrest close to us with our self contained 5th wheels and campers, over Labor Day weekend. When we knew for sure we were going to camp where we allways do, my BIL and I took our GTs out there and mowed the camping area ( I wrote a post about this earlier) We cleaned up trash others ahd left there and cut up fallen trees and limbs to use for fire wood, generally leaving it better than we found it. As we were running the roads on our 4 wheelers (yes it is legal) close to our camp my wife took a ride on a road where we used to camp, until it got to small for all of us to fit in there, and she found a that there had been a large group of people camping there and they had left it a huge mess. Beer cans, plastic bottles, garbage, and just plain junk. They had taken glass bottles and thrown them at the large limestone rock the DNR had placed there to keep people from riding through the small stream that was just below the area where the road ended. We never would do this because we like to use the area to hunt and ride to and have picnics.

This is where the Littering and Litter Bugs title of this post comes in. I have nothing against people comming in and using the forrest, as I have said I have been using it for nearly 65 years. What really bugs me is that they have no respect for the area and the right to use this area. I am sure they had a great time and it was probably most needed for them to unwind and have a good time. They could of at least cleaned up after themselves and realized that othere use the forrest also. Some people have children who love to run in the forrest and to the small stream. The bottles they smashed were on the trail to the stream. Now I know if the DNR had come there and saw this they would of had to clean it up and put it on a "Close List" to watch to see if the area was being misused and left trashed. This is what they do and eventually they close it off all together making it impossible for us to use it and enjoy it. I just wish I could explain to these people who are using it that if we continue to misuse the forrest we will soon loose the ability to do so.

My wife and I went back and we cleaned the area taking all the trash, cans, bottles and broken glass to the garbage. I hope that people are not generaly like this everywhere in the US and this is just an isolated incident and most people are respectful of our freedoms and privledges we have here.

Sorry for the rant but without telling you where I came from I couldn't get to the problem that I wanted to relate to you. Thanks for allowing me vent a little. Hope you have a great day.  Roger.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, daytime dave and 14 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I can understand where you're coming from.  Just look at our roads, I'm constantly picking up trash people through out their window of their cars. The first of the week the sheriff's inmate detail just cleaned the road we live on and today I had to pick up more trash.  I'm afraid it is not an isolated incident.  

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:26 PM

I wish it was isolated. It never seems to end. Be it public or private property, others have little to no repect for it.
  • hamman, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:53 PM

It's sad to see that sort of thing, and it's getting worse.

Do these people not realize that they're only hurting themselves, never

mind everyone else?

I see it all the time. People get out of their car, and a plastic water bottle (or whatever)

falls out. They hear it, and look down at it, but do they bend over to pick it up? No.

So, I'll walk over, pick it up, and hand it to them, and point to the garbage drum.

It's my property, and I want it clean.(parking lot at my business)

I've actually had a few mouth back at me for doing that. I don't care if they're customers.

I don't need those kind of customers.

Hats off to you for cleaning up behind them.

Edited by IamSherwood, September 05, 2013 - 09:54 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:55 PM

20 years ago my mom threw an empty Dr. Pepper can out my pickup window while I was driving.  After sliding to a stop - I was [reasonably] nice about it and backed up to where the can lay and gave her the opportunity to pick up the can - which she did. 

I have no use for a litterbug!

• hamman, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I loved to tent camp with the scouts.  Our cardinal rule was to leave the site better than you found it.  We always did this and I have tried to pass it on to my kids.  Neither one likes camping, unless it's got cable and WiFi.  

I am glad to read that you and the wife picked up the area, I would have done the same.  There are some people out there that treat the outdoors very poorly.  I don't see them, just their left overs.  It's all over.  I see discarded items all over in my beloved Adirondacks.  I try to pick it up too.

Thanks for sharing the rant, I think you'll find plenty of like minded persons here.

Edited by daytime dave, September 05, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

• hamman, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 12:14 AM

I HEAR YOU ALL!  We live in the middle of a widely used forest--- mushrooming, hunting, canoeing, hiking, berry picking, the uses are endless, and it seems we spend as much time picking up other peoples' garbage as we do enjoying the bush ourselves. I don't consider myself a mean- minded man, but the patch of dirt we own has a lot of "no trespassing" signs posted around it.  Just sayin'

• hamman, boyscout862 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 12:31 AM

I live in an old (50's) every house different subdivision.  My frontage is planted with a 120' X 30' row of juniper bushes covering the yard to road slope.  Each time I work trimming around/in those bushes I marvel at just how much crap is in there.  Every kind of container including beer cans with triangular opener holes, modern plastic bottles, a briefcase (empty), and my best find to date, a nearly new "Razor" scooter. 

I have the only unbroken line of greenery fronting the road in the neighborhood loop so it's been the "Drive By Dump".  Luckily, the nextdoor neighbor abandoned his mortgage and taxes and bailed out taking away more partiers/parkers and their empties... 

When I'm in the woods metal detetecting I always return with a bag of trash from the weekend yuppie tree huggers and mt. bikers recreating...  They can't tell me they're about "Conservation" of any kind...  The whole country is going to the trash and the trasher mentality.

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 05:38 AM

In  Boy Scouts we now call it "leave no trace". We are not even supposed to trench around our tents. Trash is everywhere. It seems like most people think that they are too self important to have to clean up after themselves. Good Luck to all of us Loraxes. Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 06, 2013 - 05:39 AM.

• hamman, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:46 AM

It's the same everywhere. A certain percentage of the population just uses nature as their garbage can! 

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,631 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:10 AM

It seems like most people think that they are too self important to have to clean up after themselves.

Yes!!! That self important/self absorbed attitude extends to their whole life. Rude. Inconsiderate. Have you ever been at a public event where people would stand in the middle of an isle and make people try to get around them? My wife uses a mobility scooter and they won't get out of her way!

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:28 AM

My wife and I went to a campground this past weekend. We drove past a couple of campsites that were so trashy that it would make your skin crawl. It seems to be the modern way to to get outdoors and relax.

I wonder if my parents had this same conversation about the new generation of kids ........
  • hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:57 AM

I wish it was isolated. It never seems to end. Be it public or private property, others have little to no respect for it.

'Nuff said right there MH!!  I see some A-hole tossing cigg butts out their car windows and wanna throw a rock at the ba$$$tard!  I'm always picing up trash in the yard by the road from inconsiderate pigs..  They just don't get it.. :wallbanging:

• hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Yes!!! That self important/self absorbed attitude extends to their whole life. Rude. Inconsiderate. Have you ever been at a public event where people would stand in the middle of an isle and make people try to get around them? My wife uses a mobility scooter and they won't get out of her way!

Put a turbo on that sucker and blast those jerks over!!

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I spent 25 years walking the grounds at apartment communities.  Don't think that the littering is just for "nature".  People are plenty happy to drop their trash between the car and the front door to where they live also.  Some people are just thoughtless.  I once saw someone send a young boy to the dumpster with a bag of trash as big as he was.  Of course he dragged it, and of course it rubbed open and spilled trash everywhere before he reached the dumpster.  He did at least grab the larger bits, but I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't seen me watching.  I've watched people dump ash trays on the ground and then ignore me yelling and speed off.  Once, I had spent two hours picking trash off a community, only to look up and see a sedan with 4 young men come driving up and they threw a McDonald's bag out on the road, turned into the parking lot and parked.  I ran over, picked up the bag, cuaght up with them and said, "Hey, I saw this fly out of your car, it looked like it might be important, so I'm giving it back to you"  Nobody even had the good manners to apologize to me.

• MH81, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks