36 replies to this topic

#1 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 08:06 PM

Ok folks I thought I would jump right in and lay out my dilemma right off the bat.

Ok according to the build plate on this Custom 7 it's a 1970 with a 7HP Tecumseh H-70 The cooling tins bear this out but it has been short blocked at some point and judging from it's condition abused as well.

So what I was hoping is that some great Sears/Tecumseh Guru would be able to tell me if the governor assembly is complete or not I have most of the Service manuals for this engine but they are vague at best, I have music wire and z-bend pliers to make new linkages if needed, but have no idea if its all there so no reference to make them if they are gone.

Additionally this is what I have figured out so far-

The engine has great compression 113 PSI (not sure if thats too little or much).

The starter/generator turns over strong but no way to know if it's charging till the engine is running.

Strong blue spark with the plug out.

The fuel tank shows little rust inside or out, all the hoses will need to be changed.

The carb is IMO history, it's so shellacked that it's been sitting in carb dip 2 weeks and no sign of it coming clean soon, so if anyone knows where to get the proper carb please let me know.

On to the chassis-

With the exception of a couple of linkage rods (wearing thin) it looks like it's in good shape the trans moves thru all the gears and ranges, (ask me how I know lol !)

Brakes seem good, steering is tight, tires are original, three point hitch has no slop.

but since I want to restore this would anyone know where to find the hood, range, dash, and shifter plate decals ? Or someone who can make them.

I'm posting pictures of the governor system hoping any of you folks could tell me what parts are missing or not ?

Thank you Ron

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I figure more info would be better than too little.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2756 - Copy.jpg
  • IMG_27361 (4).jpg
  • IMG_27361 (3).jpg
  • IMG_2759.jpg
  • IMG_27361 (1).jpg
  • IMG_27361 (5).JPG

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Ron, I'm pretty sure Dan uploaded a Tec manual for most of those engines. Take a look at those 1st. As for the carb, if thinner isn't doing it, after disassembly, you might try naptha (guys tell me if I'm wrong) I will try to get a pic of my 7's linkage for you soon.
  • Ranchkingron said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Unfortunately I can't help with most of your questions, but someone will come along who can. Until then...

Ok folks I thought I would jump right in and lay out my dilemma right off the bat.

IMO, That's the way to do it...head first!

The carb is IMO history, it's so shellacked that it's been sitting in carb dip 2 weeks and no sign of it coming clean soon, so if anyone knows where to get the proper carb please let me know.

If you feel that it's junk, you have nothing to lose. Try some stronger solvents like naphtha?

...but since I want to restore this would anyone know where to find the hood, range, dash, and shifter plate decals ? Or someone who can make them.

I hate to volunteer a busy guy, but if you have the decals on it now, take some really good pics (like the ones above) and detailed measurements and maybe olcowhand can assist you there.

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I figure more info would be better than too little.

We love info here :laughingteeth: The more the better. Thanks for the great detail pics! They should really help when the right guru comes along.
  • Ranchkingron said thank you

#4 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 09:06 PM

[quote name='MH81']Ron, I'm pretty sure Dan uploaded a Tec manual for most of those engines. Take a look at those 1st. As for the carb, if thinner isn't doing it, after disassembly, you might try naptha (guys tell me if I'm wrong) I will try to get a pic of my 7's linkage for you soon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks pics would help allot,at least then I would know whats missing if anything, if the manual you're referring to is the Tecumseh 3-8 HP repair book it does have a weak drawing of the linkages but it doesn't match the engine print for the H-70 ?

[quote name='caseguy'] IMO, That's the way to do it...head first!

Thats what I think also.

If you feel that it's junk, you have nothing to lose. Try some stronger solvents like naphtha?

You have a good point I have nothing to lose thats for sure.

I hate to volunteer a busy guy, but if you have the decals on it now, take some really good pics (like the ones above) and detailed measurements and maybe olcowhand can assist you there.

That would be great I hope he has time to do it and can tell me how to get the measurements for him, I've seen some of the ones he's done fantastic work.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• governor.JPG
  • governor.JPG
  • governor.JPG
  • governor.JPG

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Take some close-up pics of all decals involved & I can tell you if I can even make them. Small text is very hard to do with a cutter, but I'll see what I can do. And when you take the pics, hold a tape measure next to them for general size reference. If I can make any or all, I would need more accurate measurements beforehand.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 10:24 PM

For the carb, get a cheap harbor frieght ultrasonic cleaner and some purple stuff cleaner. Turn it on and let it soak. Do not use flammable solvents in the ultrasonic cleaner.
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 12:28 AM

Here are some pics of the linkage, don't know how useful they are, as it's 11:30 here & very dark. LOL
PICT0198.jpg

I also took some pics of the decals. The ones on the hood aren't square, they're not even a parallelogram.
PICT0200.jpg
Daniel, If you're seeing this, & need degrees on the corners or more precise lengths, I'll get them.

Here's the rest of the decals on mine, hope they help.
PICT0205.jpg
PICT0202.jpg
PICT0209.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0195.jpg
  • PICT0197.jpg
  • PICT0193.jpg
  • PICT0196.jpg
  • PICT0194.jpg
  • PICT0199.jpg
  • PICT0207.jpg
  • PICT0206.jpg
  • PICT0210.jpg
  • PICT0203.jpg
  • PICT0201.jpg
  • PICT0208.jpg

Edited by MH81, November 30, 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#8 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:34 AM

[quote name='olcowhand']Take some close-up pics of all decals involved & I can tell you if I can even make them. Small text is very hard to do with a cutter, but I'll see what I can do. And when you take the pics, hold a tape measure next to them for general size reference. If I can make any or all, I would need more accurate measurements beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Will do Olcowhand and thank you for all the help I'll get on it asap, I need to try and get the overspray off more (some yahoo repainted the hood and didn't mask it off) so I can get some pics to work with.

[quote name='coldone']For the carb, get a cheap harbor frieght ultrasonic cleaner and some purple stuff cleaner. Turn it on and let it soak. Do not use flammable solvents in the ultrasonic cleaner.[/QUOTE]

Good to see you Coldone, thats a great idea since I was about to retire one of the older cleaners, my supplier found me an old Bulova ( I couldn't pass it up the price was too good I'm so excited !) one and it's being rebuilt right now should be here in about 2 weeks, Great tip on the flammable solvents I would never use them but you never know who may try.

See pics below. The Bulova one with multi-stations I've been drooling over for years but never could get one (they've been out of production for years) so when this one came around I jumped on it, I also ordered two new timing machines (cheaper than the software upgrades) should be here today or tomorrow. :dancingbanana: Sorry just so happy to be rid of the Gemoro junk

[quote name='MH81']Here are some pics of the linkage, don't know how useful they are, as it's 11:30 here & very dark. LOL

LOL you didn't have to do it so late but I'm grateful thanks, based on your pics it looks like it's mostly there just missing a few pieces (screws and the mangled spring) thats great news. What do you think ?
Also I'm thinking of making new linkages (these are really rusty) using music wire if I do would you like some no charge (it's just as easy to make 10 as it is 1) ?

I also took some pics of the decals. The ones on the hood aren't square, they're not even a parallelogram.

Daniel, If you're seeing this, & need degrees on the corners or more precise lengths, I'll get them.

It looks like in 1970 they changed them a bit so I will need to get them off the tractor if I can, your dash looks so much better than mine the tempo paint is gone all there is are shadows and they are hard to photograph same with the shift plate, I wonder if shooting them in black and white will bring out the detail ?

Here's the rest of the decals on mine, hope they help.

Thank you all so much for all the help.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• Witshe WExpt.JPG
  • gemoro.jpg
  • Q2 timer.JPG
  • bulova mk 2.jpg

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 07:15 PM

For the carb, get a cheap harbor frieght ultrasonic cleaner and some purple stuff cleaner. Turn it on and let it soak. Do not use flammable solvents in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I was going to recommend the ultrasonic cleaner as well. They work wonders, especially when it comes to cleaning carburetors so don't write yours off yet.

You can't start off better then you did with a long post and pics. You now have some of the greatest gt people on the net helping you out :D

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I've also heard great reviews for just boiling the carb in water with TIDE laundry detergent!
  • mjodrey, DGS345 and caseguy have said thanks

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 08:39 PM

I've also heard great reviews for just boiling the carb in water with TIDE laundry detergent!

Thats interesting.... Don think I ever heard of that method before

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:02 PM

Thats interesting.... Don think I ever heard of that method before

:ditto: I've never heard of that method either. But thanks, It's always nice to have a full arsenal of things to try!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 08:06 AM

Daniel, I did a little looking on this, & it does sound promising. The article I read said around 3/4 cup per gallon of water. It also warned against substituting for different brands.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 10:02 AM

Daniel, I did a little looking on this, & it does sound promising. The article I read said around 3/4 cup per gallon of water. It also warned against substituting for different brands.

The Proctor & Gamble Company may have put out that warning! :D

#15 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted December 01, 2010 - 12:04 PM

thats good to know thanks