#16 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Kenny Thank you ever so much for your service. NAM was not a nice place to be at that time.  I have the deepest respect for all who serve in that country.  I was luck enough to serve my tour in Thailand.  We built the road from Karat to UDorn to supply Laos.  I guess today we know what was there.  Karat was where the F-4s left from to support the B-52 missions and any requested calls for support fire from your area. The only rough stuff we had was close to UDorn where our equipment operators would take occasional sniper fire.  All our Dozer and Pan operator had a Shutgun person riding with then at all times.  Then we move to the southern part of Thailand and add  several thousand feet to the airbase at Sattahip to allow the 52s to leave there loaded.  I will never forget the site of seeing 8-10-or even 20 B52s taking for at a time.  They used every foot of runway we gave then too.  Those puppies were always loaded to the max.  The end of the runway was about 30 feet above the Gulf of Siam and sometimes I would see one of the 52s actually drop a few feet as it left the runway before it would rise.  You have to give those pilots a bit of credit to get that plane in the air. 

Thanks again to all you Guys and Gals that did the dirty work over there.  Feel VERY PROUD of what you have done for your Country. :usa:

Proud to have assisted.

Regards

Ducky

• KennyP, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Kenny & toomanytoys84 your back ground sounds a lot like mine.  Started 1st & 2nd (first half) in a small town in NJ.  Then we moved to another small town and went 2n (second half and 3rd (3 months)  Then we moved to Decatur Ga and I finished 3rd in one school and the next year went to another new school for 4th.  Then my parents divorced and I ended up still going to the same school for 5th but then that summer we moved and I went to another school for 6th.  After 6th we moved again and another new school.  I actually went to high school with my 7th grade class but by this time I kept to my self because I knew it was only a matter of time.  In 10th grade a new school opened so I went there then I started to get in trouble and went to a new school for hard to deal with kid. I quite half way through my 11th grade year and luckily I had folks who encouraged me to go back but then I ended up moving to Memphis to live with my dad and once again a new school.  I did end up going to the same school for the remainder of my 11th grade year + plus summer school and all of my senior year.  I have never gone to any reunion nor do I plan to go.

After graduation it either college or uncle sam's service.  Needless to say I wasn't going to college so to give me a skill and something I could support my self with we decided the Navy was my best option.  Kenny; I was lucky because I was on a ship off the coast of Nam cleaning rotor heads and gassing the helo's up.  I had one good friend, from high school, who enlisted with me.  He went in the Seabees and did 2 tours (I think) in Nam. He came home got married but the demons got the best of him and he ended up committing suicide.  I don't normally draw close to very many people, the wife is the exception, so it has surprised me how much I enjoy it here and how I have opened up and call this home.

I can more then understand why a young one would want to be in the environment he/she grew up in and the security it gives.  I can also understand the emotional feeling when your children are in another state and it is difficult to see them.  After I retired from  the Navy we moved to GA which is home to me and all my kids were with their mother in VA.  The good thing was we got to have them every summer and as they grew older one at a time they have either moved down here or they make a point of coming down for a visit on a regular basis.

Kenny Thank you for your service and I wish you the best with dealing with the PTSD.  I know it is tough because my son has it from Iraqi.

• KennyP, sacsr, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:15 AM

The term used 60 years ago was "saw too much". My father participated in 7 landings in Europe during WWII when life expectancy was 3. He spent more than 6 months in a hospitol and was told that he was headed for Japan when the war ended. Shortly after he got to his parents home he found that he couldn't take people.

He bought some woodland on Long Island, built a rustic cabin in the woods, and lived there for 2 years. No electricity or running water. He transitioned himself into working in a town and finally, when he felt comfortable, moved back home. He found that he couldn't stand working for others so he found a niche that he was comfortable with. He built houses his way and when they were done, he would sell them.

As the boss, he only hired vets with 2 exceptions. Me because sons are free labor(and I think he wanted to teach me). Bernie because he was a death camp survivor. We worked in the woods and away from most people. We all took coffee breaks and lunch together. They would talk about the war sometimes. Usually they were sessions with a theme. One that I remember was a competition of who had the worst officers. I heard stories by my father that he never told before or after. These sessions seemed to help the men. They vented with others who understood.

I went through a couple of months of hell(Walter Reed) in the Army and have carried physical problems since then. I have been lucky that the nightmares stopped 25 years ago. I've actually outlived expectations(mine and theirs).

Two things that I find helped friends and me. 1. Sanity pauses: just get away from all the BS in life that is bothering you. A day hiking or fishing or canoeing really relieves stress and problems. The physical activity seems to add to the pressure reduction. I find that seat time is a mini sanity pause.  2. Talking with buddys: Ones that have been there too. We all want to vent from time to time and doing it with others that are going through similar experiences brings greater understanding and reduces that damned feeling that we are alone. We are not. We are all in this together.

Everybody has problems. We need to help our selves and our friends. This site is a gathering of friends. Good Luck to all, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 05, 2013 - 05:18 AM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Rick, my 'Sanity pauses' is working on my tractors. Sometimes it's just piddling around with them. Lots of time spent just thinking about what I can build to make them do more.

Thanks everyone for their addition to this. We all have a lot more in common than just the GT's!

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#20 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Kenny thanks for starting this thread, it brought back some memories both good and bad.

Moving from school to school was more common when I was growing up it seems. I did the Army thing in 1968 and 69 like so many others my age did.

Seems like the little tractors we play with are good for out heart and soul.
  • KennyP, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thank you for sharing with us! It is tempting to believe that this is unusual and that you alone are the only one who experiences this. Truth be know, many on here are familiar with your situation. I can certainly relate.

One thing hasn't been mentioned is the need to have folks to share with face-to-face. Yes, we like you :big_hug: , but we only know when to support you when you ask. There are many places to seek out friendships, besides here. Church, service clubs such as Lions Club (they do good work), veterans organizations, volunteer groups such as Habitat for Humanity, athletics. There is no end to the places where folks are just waiting to meet you. Your a good person, spread it around!!!

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Some of my internet friends are some of my best friends.  I belong to another forum for my other hobby of restoring old minibikes.  We are a close group there.  Help each other out when we are down, support for problems in life, honestly if it wasn't for my minibikes and that forum I may not of made it through my divorce. 

There are great people all over the world.  And thanks to the internet we get to meet in an unoffical sense so many of them!

I'm a younger guy, 29 at the moment.  But, I throughly enjoy my vintage minibikes and old garden tractors.  My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, and my mother has thought me and my father crazy too.  Its a great wholesome hobby that has allowed me to meet many people!

• KennyP, sacsr, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for sharing with us! It is tempting to believe that this is unusual and that you alone are the only one who experiences this. Truth be know, many on here are familiar with your situation. I can certainly relate.

One thing hasn't been mentioned is the need to have folks to share with face-to-face. Yes, we like you :big_hug: , but we only know when to support you when you ask. There are many places to seek out friendships, besides here. Church, service clubs such as Lions Club (they do good work), veterans organizations, volunteer groups such as Habitat for Humanity, athletics. There is no end to the places where folks are just waiting to meet you. Your a good person, spread it around!!!

Great places, I'm sure! But I would rather hang with a bunch of GT fanatics. That's where the fun is!

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#24 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Maybe that explains my obsession with this forum, you all became 'my family'!

Kenny, consider me your crazy "Brother in Law", you know the one the rest of the family doesn't talk about :D :bigrofl:

• KennyP, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,649 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Kenny, consider me your crazy "Brother in Law", you know the one the rest of the family doesn't talk about :D :bigrofl:

John, welcome to the family!

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#26 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Kenny, thanks for your service for our country! I am glad to be part of your extended family.
  • KennyP, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:17 PM

What? We talk about you!

• John@Reliable, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 willy OFFLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for your service . 175 mm 72 to 76 . Moms going to be 90 ,headed to TEXAS in Oct. Something special about being able to move forward . There will be a time to join old friends & family , but till then I will enjoy new friends & family 

• KennyP, sacsr, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks