• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I was reading a thread and toomanytoys84 made a post that struck close to home for me. I grew up in a small town (pop. 50+/-). Came time to go to high school. Freshman year was cool at Whitewater, Ks. Next year, they consolidated two schools into one, Whitewater/Potwin (Remington High school). That was cool, as these were two rival schools. Everyone was pretty happy as we had a brand new school to go to. That was the year RFK was killed in Dallas. My Dad got hurt at work and screwed around, so the junior year we had to move to Muskogee, OK. I don't even remember that year, just a blur. No friends there to speak of. Following year, Senior, moved to Miami, OK. Same thing, only a blur. But I do remember I graduated with the GREAT Steve Owens! Sorry SOB! Made my day when his football career went SOUTH!

Anyway here's the thread that started all this:

http://gardentractor...new-hat/page-79

Post1171.

I went to one HS reunion, think it was the 25th for Remington. Never have heard a word from Miami High School. But I doubt I would go!

Top this all off with 19 months active duty in 'Nam, and i have a good case of PTSD going. But I do okay most of the time. Just cherish to ones I call friends and that is you folks here!

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, MH81 and 21 others have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Kenny, thanks for your service, you and your generation gave more than we will ever know. My boot camp and time in service was surrounded by guys like you, you make things better wherever you are, you may not realize it but we look to you guys like our rock

• Alc, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thank You KeenyP for your service and sacrifice. I too grew up in a small town but a lot larger than yours. I went to the 10th reunion and haven't gone since.  Graduated in 1967 and went to work at Pontiac Motors until 1970 when I went to work in Law Enforcment. Stayed in that profession until 1992. Keep your friends close and they will help you out. I have a lot of friends who are of the Vietnam era and some from all the recent wars. Most all suffer to some degree of PTSD, some worse than others. Thanks for sharing about yourself. I enjoy the people here also. Roger.

• Alc, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Oh and by the way Kenny I went to 4th thru 12th grade about 15 miles south of Whitewater in Andover, 2A school at the time, we were in the Chisolm trail league in sports with Circle, Andale Goddard, etc. i know some people that still live there

• hamman, KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for your service, bet you didn't miss anything at the reunions anyway. :D

• KennyP, tinbender7, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:50 PM

I guess what I am trying to get across here is that Jared (thread I linked to) may not only be missing his family, but the friends he had in school.

I am the only survivor of my family from then, that probably doesn't help matters. I miss them all very much. My Dad was the first to pass, 9 months after I returned home from 'Nam. Then my middle brother & sis-in-law in 1976. Mom died in 1979. Oldest brother died in 1988. Sometimes, i feel very alone. Maybe that explains my obsession with this forum, you all became 'my family'!

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 13 others have said thanks

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thank you Kenny for your service to our country and your dedication to this forums. I don't like using that "forum" word a lot. I refer to us as a big happy family on here and quite frankly im very happy and proud to belong to this family. Thank you for all your help and knowledge and not just to you Kenny but everyone else who are experts in these kind of fields.  

• KennyP, tinbender7, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#8 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:04 PM

very happy to be considered part of your family, Kenny.  Thank you!

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thank you Kenny for your service to our country and your dedication to this forums. I don't like using that "forum" word a lot. I refer to us as a big happy family on here and quite frankly im very happy and proud to belong to this family. Thank you for all your help and knowledge and not just to you Kenny but everyone else who are experts in these kind of fields.  

I'm just happy to have found a group of folks that share a passion with these old tractors. We each have different paths with our individual tractors, but we all love them and will do what we can to keep them going. That's what makes us 'family'!

• hamman, Delmar, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#10 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thank you for your service. I grew up being taken from 1 school to anoter and not being included in the reunions,I would go if I knew about them.I consider the folks on here my family also.I live in an area where the big tractors rule,the ranches and groves are in the hundreds of acres,I came from an area that uses GT'S so I am kinda out of place here.I do not have a large place just room to store GT'S.again thanks for your time here also.

AL

Edited by tinbender7, September 04, 2013 - 07:55 PM.

• hamman, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thank you Kenny for your service! I am proud to be called a part of this family. 

Geno

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:17 PM

I guess what I am trying to get across here is that Jared (thread I linked to) may not only be missing his family, but the friends he had in school.

I am the only survivor of my family from then, that probably doesn't help matters. I miss them all very much. My Dad was the first to pass, 9 months after I returned home from 'Nam. Then my middle brother & sis-in-law in 1976. Mom died in 1979. Oldest brother died in 1988. Sometimes, i feel very alone. Maybe that explains my obsession with this forum, you all became 'my family'!

Your not alone Kenny, I believe everyone in the world is connected, by the part of the soul that God made within each and everyone of us. Were all part of the same herd, all of us all family, I'm the weird uncle you talk about.

• hamman, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Kenny, Thank you for your service and sacrifice for All of US living in the USA. :worshippy1:  As far as family goes, being here you gained Brothers and even a few Sisters all over the world !! :wave:  Hang in there my Brother!! :thumbs:

:usa: GOD BLESS the U.S.A. !

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Kenny, thanks sooooo much for your service.  Hope some day the ptsd leaves ya, never to return.  You DO have family....right here!

• KennyP, tinbender7 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:48 PM

What prompted my thoughts was my own life.

My parents divorced when I was 5. I was just starting school and I got pulled out of a school I was just getting used to in rural ohio. Very rural, we had around 15 kids in my class. We moved to Pittsburgh at 5 id never really been out of the ohio valley. I ended up in a huge school with like a 50 kids in my class. Finished the school year and ended up in new jersey for 3 months of 1st grade. Back home to finish 1st and 2nd grade then off to another school in ohio, then back to pa, and finally 7th grade my parents got back together and I ended up back at my home town. Where I still live today after a short stint from 18 to 21 in pa.

I know its rough moving and being the new kid. Its even rough as an adult moving alone to a new area.

At the time i was miserable. Seen my dad on the weekends. He would drive to where ever i was and spend 3 days with me. But, Such is life and it makes you tough. I can live anywhere now, make friends and be happy. But there is no place like the place you consider home.
  • KennyP, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks