• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • Member No: 46350
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi, total newbie here. I searched the forum, but I couldn't find any production figures, and I'm wondering just how many Ride-A-Matics are out there.

I just bought a '61 234-01 that has already been restored, and it comes with an extra frame. Meanwhile, I found another for sale that is either a '61 or '62 (the original grill and hood have been replaced with a homemade unit, so I can't tell from the pictures). It is missing the right belt cover, but the left is there, and it looks to be otherwise complete, but rough.

Before I turn into a tractor junkie, just how uncommon are these little tractors? I'm trying to decide whether to just let this second one go, or rescue it.

• boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hello there and welcome :wave: Show us pictures of it the whole community loves pictures :thumbs: Unfortunately I know nothing about these seeing a cub man. Hopefully one of the higher up will be along shortly.

#3 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 03:58 PM

No one realy knows how many were made every year. Only way to do that is to ask every one that has one for its serial number.

61 is a very diffrent tractor to the 1962. 1962 is a harder to find RAM but there kinda ugly. :D The hardes to find I think were the very first 50 made.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. As far as the tractors are concerned, go with what makes you happy. Good Luck, Rick 

#5 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I agree, that bucktooth grill on the '62 is pretty ugly. It's like they wanted the most radical departure they could come up with from the classic curves of the '57.

I was actually looking for an HT-20 for snow removal and dirt work when I found this '61 RAM. I haven't even taken delivery of it yet, but my wife has sent the seller a check (I'm working out of state). The HT series are readily found in my area, so I'll still get one for using around the place, and this one will be for fun and parades.

It comes with a snowblower, front reel mower, mowing deck, and tiller. The front PTO isn't attached, but is included. It has a spare transmission, too. Also included is a complete frame (just bare, I think), and a basketcase Penn Panzer (or Meteor, not sure which).

So, my lovely bride has to find room for all that, and if I came home dragging another one, I better find a place for me to sleep, too. :D

Here's the one I'm getting.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 234 left.jpg
  • Bolens 234 right.jpg
  • Bolens 234 snowblower.jpg
  • Bolens 234 mower deck.jpg
  • Bolens 234 roto tiller.jpg
  • Bolens 234 trans and drive.jpg

• IamSherwood, antiquetractors and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I agree, that bucktooth grill on the '62 is pretty ugly. It's like they wanted the most radical departure they could come up with from the classic curves of the '57.

I was actually looking for an HT-20 for snow removal and dirt work when I found this '61 RAM. I haven't even taken delivery of it yet, but my wife has sent the seller a check (I'm working out of state). The HT series are readily found in my area, so I'll still get one for using around the place, and this one will be for fun and parades.

It comes with a snowblower, front reel mower, mowing deck, and tiller. The front PTO isn't attached, but is included. It has a spare transmission, too. Also included is a complete frame (just bare, I think), and a basketcase Penn Panzer (or Meteor, not sure which).

So, my lovely bride has to find room for all that, and if I came home dragging another one, I better find a place for me to sleep, too. :D

Very nice Tractor.

Welcome to GTtalk to.

#7 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Here's the other one. Ugly, but it could make a good user if it was cheap enough -- and if it was already in NH, instead of Arkansas.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens barn left.jpg
  • Bolens barn right.jpg

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Here's the other one. Ugly, but it could make a good user if it was cheap enough -- and if it was already in NH, instead of Arkansas.

Looks to be another 1961 but the tag will tell 100%.

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I dunno, maybe I'm weird, but I like the styling of the '62.

It has that late 50s early 60s 'future look'.

It's certainly not going to be mistaken for anything else :D :D :D

#10 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I forgot to mention it also includes a set of 6x12 turf tires, new and never mounted. I like the ag tires, though.

Here's the Penn. A tree fell on it and broke the grill and bent the grill struts, but it comes with a spare grill and hood. The motor is disassembled in a box, but all the parts are supposed to be there. The guy who was working on the Penn passed away, and was a good friend of the guy selling the RAM, so he's just getting rid of everything.

Attached Thumbnails

• Penn tractor.jpg
  • Penn drive.jpg
  • Penn grill and hood.jpg
  • Penn rear.jpg

Edited by KBCraig, September 04, 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Welcome to GTT!

As wilberj Already mentioned there is no way to determine how many were produced unless you can track down all the current owners serial numbers...

The Ride-a-Matics can still be easily found, but The 62' model  is hard to find complete.

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:51 AM

Before I turn into a tractor junkie, just how uncommon are these little tractors? I'm trying to decide whether to just let this second one go, or rescue it.

Sir, I've got some good news and some not so good dependin on perspective. I highlighted some surefire signs that you're already on the road and in the high speed commuter lane headed  toward junkietown. We're pleased to announce you've arrived at a userfriendly safehaven/ rest stop along the way, where treatments rather than cures are liberally distributed.

Please relax, consult with our Doctor B and other experts as well as likewise afflicted members and review at your leasure the following examination checklist:  Found Here

Be of good courage and know that you are not alone. Welcome aboard !!!

:wave:  :big_hug:  :loosing_it:   :thumbs:

Edited by Newpaws493, September 06, 2013 - 06:53 AM.

• wilberj, MH81 and KBCraig have said thanks

#13 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:27 AM

The check cleared.  :thumbs:

I hope this means the seller is headed north to visit his daughter sometime soon.

#14 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:11 PM

The seller delivered today!

My wife took a couple of pictures, but assures me everything looks just like the Craigslist ad (and also <grumble>"Takes up half the damn garage!"</grumble>).  :D

Things included that he never mentioned: manuals and advertising materials he bought off eBay. Lagniappe!

#15 KBCraig OFFLINE  

KBCraig
  • 55 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Looking back at my earlier post with the pictures, I realized I left off the reel mower.

I forget the model number, but this appears to match the one in the 1961 brochure.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 234 reel mower.jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you