#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 02:47 PM

at high speed. My neighbor (and best buddy) has a Troy Built 42" mower with a Briggs Intek 18.5 hp., Model # 31P 777, Type 0293 E2, Code 050425 ZE.  He just brought it back from a second visit to the Briggs factory service dealer that is 35 miles away. The original complaint was that it wouldn't start and after starting it would smoke and run poorly. They had it for 4months. It cost him nearly $300.00 to get it out of the shop. They had to put a new cam in it and replce the valve adjusting nuts with locking nuts. (Briggs idea) He took it back a week ago because it was doing the same thing and they found that the valve cover and crankcase was full of gas. They told him it was the carb and it eeded to be rebuilt. Apparently they couldn't get that carb to work properly so they put on a used carb and started it on low idle and it ran fine. When he got it home and unloaded it from the truck it was surging at high speed. We can get it to stop surging at high speed by turning the idle screw all the way in. However it will not idle down. There is  now adjustment for the high speed as it has a black lock on it. It cost him another $145.00 to get it back. Any idea on getting it to stop surging??? Any help will be greatly appreciated. He is in his upper 70s and is a little flustered. I looked at the service manual for this motor and couldn't find a "surging" condition fix. Thanks . Roger.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 04:43 PM

The Inteks had a reputation for cam troubles. He needs to complain to B&S. If that doesn't work try your states' Dept. of Consumer affairs, local TV and newspaper. Do some research on Inteks. It also sounds like the high speed needle is way to rich. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks boyscout. I tried turning the HS needel but it has a black plastic lock on it. It will only let you turn it so far. He is going to call Briggs and make another complaint. I also told him to contact our states Atty. General who doesn't like people being taken advantage of. He has helped people with smaller problems. I have used this particular LMS and have had good success with them. I don't know why they couldn't repair the other carb. This carb has problem in my opinoin. I have researched the Intek and was surprised there was no recall on them from Briggs. Thanks again I will keep you up on whats going on. Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:01 PM

There was another thread on here a few months ago about the Intek. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#5 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:08 PM

surging usually means your not getting enough fuel and the governer is compensating,

is it the right carb that was used?

make sure all intake and carb bolts are tight,

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I also heard that those tractors had a problem with the gas cap plugging up and causing problems. Would that cause this problem? Thanks for the info. Roger.

• Alc said thank you

#7 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I haven't seen a tank vent cause one to surge, it usually acts like you ran out of gas. I agree with truckintyler, could be trash in the carb or a vacuum leak. Have you tried playing with the choke? If the choke makes it run better then it is definately running lean.

• hamman said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:23 AM

A used one could mean youre adopting a lot of different issues. Surging for me often means water in the carb but it could be anything from wrong carb to blocked port to wrong length adjuster in a rebuild kit.
First thing is to call them as soon as they open and ask for all old parts. You'll pick them up when you drop this off again.
(Always take the old parts with you unless there is some reason you can't). Also request a copy of any information or documentation on the first repair's diagnosis, information from Briggs as to why they advised the first repair, etc...
When you take it back to them, make sure that they understand you aren't happy, feel that youve paid for the repair twice and its still not done, and you want this resolved without seeing another bill. Ask that they confirm the issue with you right now before you leave.
Most good business people will attempt to rectify the situation without further irritating you. You may even want to suggest that they come and do a courtesy pick up and drop off?

Oh and before you load it, take a short video of the problem and a walk around of the unit. Take 5 minutes to write down all the details as you remember them to this point. That way, if you have to involve the BBB or the AG, you're ready for them.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Thanks mh81. Makes sense to do that. This is an Amish business and they are usually very good to deal with. I will get with my neighbor this am and make a game plan. Roger.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:35 AM

Reading this post makes me feel so bad for people who take something for repairs and it doesn't run correctly after bringing it home ,hope they get it fixed for him soon .

• hamman said thank you

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:56 AM

I agree with AVB, Play with the choke and see if it smooths out.  Also you can use carb cleaner and spray around the any vacuum lines and intake manifold for leaks.  If this is not warranty work I doubt you will get very far with any legal action. Been there done that.  I would try and get the original carburetor back and fix it.  On a side note: most of those black plastic tips will come pop off and you can adjust the needle with a pair of pliers.

• hamman said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Well the saga continues.......Now he has to take it back and they will get to it when they can???? He just picked it up!!! Now they are saying that it is probably the needle and seat they installed in the used carb. Tey want it back to fix it. He asked me today if I would take it back with him Monday after my Dr. appt.. I told him of course but not to expect to leave it there. I told him that if I take it over for him they will have to fix it then and we will bring it home running fine. He is a little timid and wants to make things go smooth. I told him that the time for smooth is past. Now it's time for the rubber to meet the road. (so to speak) I have had great dealings with this dealer and I think he needs to put off someone else to fix this problem that has been created since it's last visit. We will see how it goes. The dealer is a Minnonite and my friend doesn't want to make waves by saying or doing anything that would upset him or shine a bad light on his business. He has called B&S and they told him to call the dealer and have him come and fix it. That will not happen as they don't do house calls. Monday afternoon will tell the tale. Another side to this is that I have to pick up a used 42" Jacobsen snowblower from him at the same time.  I only paid $50 for it and they had just put new bearings and chain in it a year ago and it was never picked up. Thanks. Roger.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:32 PM

It sounds to me that this dealer doesn't know what he is doing?  What does being a Minnonite have to do with anything?  I have a feeling they have the wrong carb on this engine and now they are covering up.  I sure hope your friend isn't paying for all this.  

#14 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 06:21 PM

I also heard that those tractors had a problem with the gas cap plugging up and causing problems. Would that cause this problem? Thanks for the info. Roger.

Here is a page out of a Vector Mechanic's Handbook, Tecumseh

carb surging.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Took the tractro back today and tech (store owner) tested everthing you all have suggested and tried to run it at partial choke, when in that position it did not surge. He thinks maybe the carb is not right for the 18.5hp engine. Now my friend took all of his papers and he didn't remember them putting a cam in it.(???) When he told him that he had researched and found there was problems with the Intek engine he said that he wasn't aware of that due to their not having a computer. (Minnonite business). Now being a Briggs Service Center I find it hard to believe that he hasn't heard of the problems the Intek were having. Now I know Briggs sends out Service Bulletins all the time. The Briggs rep also calls or stops by to advise of problems and updates to service information. He did say that this time no matter what, there will be no charge. We should know something in a couple of days. Roger.

• Alc said thank you