• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well it happened again, i am still "suppose" to be laid up with a dislocated right shoulder, i have a nice new young doctor whos up on everything except real life, he should spend a few days on a farm to realize that life has to go on, weather you are hurting or not chores have to be done, fences have to be fixed, animals have to be fed, not all of us live in a condo, not that i would. well i had to go in today and get a lecture i had been putting it off since thursday, guess what, i dislocated my left shoulder and tore a bicept, man it hurts, just trying to get my chores done but i guess i strained out my left arm to much, here i am now being told to take it easy again, but no advice on how, i even offered to show him how to run a tractor and baler, and would teach him the finer points in putting in fence corners with double x high tensile wire, needless to say tomorrow should be interesting as i cant raise either arm above chest height and the left wont twist and the hand is numb, so i guess i will have to take it "easy" and try to get 40 acres of second cut in, but i dont think my doctor will be around to give me a hand, go figure

• olcowhand, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 6 others have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 12:25 AM

Well it happened again, i am still "suppose" to be laid up with a dislocated right shoulder, i have a nice new young doctor whos up on everything except real life, he should spend a few days on a farm to realize that life has to go on, weather you are hurting or not chores have to be done, fences have to be fixed, animals have to be fed, not all of us live in a condo, not that i would. well i had to go in today and get a lecture i had been putting it off since thursday, guess what, i dislocated my left shoulder and tore a bicept, man it hurts, just trying to get my chores done but i guess i strained out my left arm to much, here i am now being told to take it easy again, but no advice on how, i even offered to show him how to run a tractor and baler, and would teach him the finer points in putting in fence corners with double x high tensile wire, needless to say tomorrow should be interesting as i cant raise either arm above chest height and the left wont twist and the hand is numb, so i guess i will have to take it "easy" and try to get 40 acres of second cut in, but i dont think my doctor will be around to give me a hand, go figure

They wanted to operate on my left shoulder, torn rotator cuff, and said it wouldn't be long on the for the right one needed it too. I heard a few many stories from real working guys that their working days were over after the surgery, I wouldn't do it, I started exercising the arms to build back muscle and tissue, still hurts but I can lift over 250bs without too much strain. I'm 6'2" 218, the workouts bulked me up enough in the arms, chest, and shoulders to hold stuff together. I have friends that work in offices that had the surgery, no problem, but they dont do anything, not even sure how they got injured, probably from lifting boxes of paper, yep there heavy and if your not in great shape it will do you in. but my friends that work on the farm were told AFTER surgery that they would not be able to do what they had done before because it would just tear up the shoulder again, yeah well you seem to be able to keep them million dollar football/baseball arms in place, what the guy that works a farm isn't good enough? Mando the exercises they give you, even double them up, without it it will get worse. I'm pulling for you were both 1957 products, lol

• tinbender7, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Protect yourself. Try to use your machines when you can. I've seen the exercise work but build it up gradually. I really hurt my back 8 years ago. I was able to take it easy for several months and get alot better. I don't do too much lifting now, I lay things out and use my FEL. You need to get some help for awhile. Good Luck to you. Rick

• tinbender7, Newpaws493, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hope you guys get better without too much pain in between the chores

• tinbender7 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:53 AM

I've had rotator cuff problems and they also responded well to strengthening exercises but not before the damage was healed which can take 6 months or more. My Father had 2 shoulder replacement surgeries and they both went fine. He has no pain now and has pretty much 100% mobility of both shoulders. I know another fellow who refused to have the necessary surgery and his life is a world of pain. Each individual case is different and outcomes depend on many factors. In my dads came osteoarthritis and 50  years of working in the refrigeration business had done the damage. For some, surgery is the best solution. 

• Alc, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Protect yourself. Try to use your machines when you can. I've seen the exercise work but build it up gradually. I really hurt my back 8 years ago. I was able to take it easy for several months and get alot better. I don't do too much lifting now, I lay things out and use my FEL. You need to get some help for awhile. Good Luck to you. Rick

great advice!!!

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:55 AM

I've had rotator cuff problems and they also responded well to strengthening exercises but not before the damage was healed which can take 6 months or more. My Father had 2 shoulder replacement surgeries and they both went fine. He has no pain now and has pretty much 100% mobility of both shoulders. I know another fellow who refused to have the necessary surgery and his life is a world of pain. Each individual case is different and outcomes depend on many factors. In my dads came osteoarthritis and 50  years of working in the refrigeration business had done the damage. For some, surgery is the best solution. 

Something I forgot to mention, yep EVERY case and person is different,, Thanks

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've messed up my shoulders several times, broken collarbone on left and broken bone on right.  Plus I have messed up the rotatory cuff on both as well.  I know it is no fun and it does take a long time to heal.  I wish I had some magical advice for you, but I don't.  Do you have some family that could step in and help?  I hope things work out for you, Good Luck!

• farmer john said thank you

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not sure why, but I can't work with my arms above my shoulders for more than a minute at a  time.  Yes, I know all too well how it is when we're hurting......we just work while we hurt.  Doc's have little to no sense at all of what farmers or other manual laborers have to endure.   If they start lecturing me, I'll give them one right back.  Not a mean spirited lecture, but one of facts, and how they eat because of what we do. 

• KennyP, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#10 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:39 AM

yeah i should probably get some help but then that would mean someone else driving my tractors which does not happen, im a bit of an a** when it comes to that,

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 12:33 PM

You folks are hard on the equipment! How did you dislocate both shoulders? Have you been playing catch with the hay bales again?

#12 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Look around for some kid's to work for you. I started working on my neighbors farm when I was about 8 doing hay and even gained enough trust to drive  " HIS"  tractor, man the ac was nice on the hot days. Hope you feel better and your shoulder heals up quickly

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:01 PM

yeah i should probably get some help but then that would mean someone else driving my tractors which does not happen, im a bit of an a** when it comes to that,

You are just too aware that most people think that its "just yours". The liability of kids around machinery is unlimited. A good teenager can do a bunch of manual work. But, most people have no concept of consequences and will get hurt doing the dumbest of things. You would have to spend alot of time teaching.

I just thought of something that we have around here. Work/study for High School students majoring in Agriculture. You might check with your school system and county ag agent. They may be covered by the schools' insurance. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 04, 2013 - 05:01 PM.

• HDWildBill and farmer john have said thanks

#14 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:49 PM

well as we all know the farm can be a dangerous mistress, especially when we take things for granted, the kid up the road was blowing corn into a silo,hes been doing it for years, for some reason got off the tractor and got tangled in the pto, it did not kill him but he will never be the same, i think we all know someone whos had a tragic accident, if someone got hurt on my watch it would pain me deeply, all of my family and my wifes are either old or city slickers which dont know which end of the cow manure comes from, and think my home grown chickens, ducks, turkeys, lambs all taste funny, i guess they are addicted to steroids and antibiotics

• boyscout862 said thank you