Cc 2155 Stalls And Backfires

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trackcar OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Howdy, I was mowing last week with my 2155 with a Kohler 15 HP and ran out of fuel. Put gas in and took off. In a little while the tractor would buck and sputter and backfire and even shut off. After a few times , I said the heck with it and got out my Sears 18HP GT to finish the job. I think, but I am not sure, that running out of fuel might have sucked some serious junk into the fuel line filter. I did get a replacement filter(didn't put it on yet), but for the heck of it started mowing with it this week. It ran fine for most of the time until I had about 15 min. to go and it started acting up again. I did not run out of gas this time and I could see a visible difference in the fuel filters "colors"(existing and new). I will change it before next mowing. Could an impeded flow in the fuel line via clogged filter cause the backfiring?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Good diagnosis on the junk in the fuel line!

Yes, the impeded flow will cause back firing, since back firing means the mixture is too lean. 

Ben W.

• trackcar said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:58 PM

It could be misfiring due to timing, timing is important on these engines, valve clearances could be out. If you back fired a few times your flywheel key could get/be damaged. check fuel problems FIRST, but timing issues next

• trackcar said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,168 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Change the Filter then Drain and clean the carburetor out real good.You may have to remove the main jet in the carb to get it clean.Also you may have pulled grass and dirt into the fuel pump and partly clogged it.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 03, 2013 - 10:13 PM.

• trackcar and OkieGt have said thanks