• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Woohoo!  Just put the starter back on the 2nd engine (starter like new inside), and she cranks fine.  Poured a spec of fuel into the intake & she ran for a couple seconds!  Tonight after milking, I'll hook up some fuel lines, fill radiator with water & see if she'll run on.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#47 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 04:48 PM

Considering what you found with the crankcase breather I would plug the hole and vent it to the outside like most of the other engines. Wouldn't take much to do and might extend the life of the engine by years. 

#48 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Considering what you found with the crankcase breather I would plug the hole and vent it to the outside like most of the other engines. Wouldn't take much to do and might extend the life of the engine by years. 

These engines are "California Emissions Approved", so I am sure that's why they vent as they do.  Yes, I plan to do the mod, at least for any engine I keep for my own use.

#49 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:31 PM

These engines are "California Emissions Approved", so I am sure that's why they vent as they do.  Yes, I plan to do the mod, at least for any engine I keep for my own use.

That explains a lot :D

P.S. back around 1978 I remember opening the hood on a '64(ish) Nova II from Cali, and was surprised to find anti-smog stuff the owner had to add to pass emissions, even back then.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#50 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Got the 2nd Perkins diesel fired up.  She was running great in this video, then the next time I started it, she started out fine, then suddenly seemed like one intake valve either stuck open slightly, or has something stuck on the face of the valve.  There was lots of crud down in the valve intake on this side, and I did my best to get it al out.  Hoping it's something simple.  Tomorrow I'll see if I can figure that out.  In the meantime, here's the video.  This one puts out 56 to 58psi oil pressure high speed, 47psi at low idle.  

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#51 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sure sounded good in that video. I could be wrong but from the sound of your voice I'd say your enjoying yourself.  :D

• twostep said thank you

#52 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sure sounded good in that video. I could be wrong but from the sound of your voice I'd say your enjoying yourself.  :D

I was....until it started messing up.  :(

#53 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:01 PM

I really want to find a small 2 cylinder diesel for my JD140H3. I am just finding it hard to find one.

#54 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Just took a little time inspecting.  With a tiny mirror, best as I can see, which isn't easy being it's down an angled intake hole, it might be the valve has a slight bend in it.  Looking like I'll be pulling the head off it.  The clearance is about .008 too wide, so likely either it either is a bent valve, something burnt & stuck to the face or seat, or who knows, could be a burned valve.  I've blown down in there with air, tapped on the rocker to try & dislodge anything that "might" be there.  When valves are supposed to be closed, I can blow air into the intake, and it will turn the engine with piston near the top.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#55 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:47 PM

So, You think it bent the valve while you were just running it? Could it have sucked up something that got stuck at the seat and bent it or maybe just keeping it open?

#56 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:52 PM

So, You think it bent the valve while you were just running it? Could it have sucked up something that got stuck at the seat and bent it or maybe just keeping it open?

I didn't have anything over the intake, so that may be the cause, but not sure what's going on.  I can see most, but not all the valve face with the mirror/flashlight.  From the very start though, I kept thinking I could hear a slight leak on that valve, but it seemed to go away, or maybe I just mentally blocked it, not wanting to hear it. I PM'd Jeff to see if I could get parts through him & his company.  I don't mind putting a little into it at this point.  Otherwise it's a loss.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#57 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 02:33 PM

There must be something on top of the piston.  I can feel it now when I turn the engine by hand when it reaches TDC.  So the valve is surely bent.  Will take her down asap.

#58 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear that Daniel, I would think parts will be easy to come by with all these engine around.

#59 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Just got the head off....piece of something has been under there for a little while.  I think it was a slightly bent valve that I was hearing when I first started it & chose not to hear anymore, then the piece moved & got the valve again.  There is a very slight erosion on the edge of the piston, so a piece of ring maybe?  I'll get a couple pics later.  Bummer, but it is what it is.  If parts are too high, then it's a parts donor engine.  I just hope the 3rd engine turns out good, or I might just ....  :boo_hoo: 

Bores look great though, cross-hatch like new in both cylinders.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#60 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just got the head off....piece of something has been under there for a little while.  I think it was a slightly bent valve that I was hearing when I first started it & chose not to hear anymore, then the piece moved & got the valve again.  There is a very slight erosion on the edge of the piston, so a piece of ring maybe?  I'll get a couple pics later.  Bummer, but it is what it is.  If parts are too high, then it's a parts donor engine.  I just hope the 3rd engine turns out good, or I might just ....  :boo_hoo: 

Bores look great though, cross-hatch like new in both cylinders.

Well it's in good hands now, I hope it works out for you.