Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:01 PM
So I have a couple of new working theories:
The automatic compression release is not allowing the valve to close as rpm builds, or maybe the exhaust valve is sticking. I'm leaning towards the ACR. When it loses power and quits, it makes a strange sound in the exhaust. So I'm thinking maybe the ACR isn't stopping as rpm builds. The exhaust valve was also pretty sticky in the guide, but it seemed to open and close ok.
I pulled the head tonight, and other than a bunch of carbon it looks ok. I pulled the exhaust valve out, cleaned it up and it looks ok too.
So, now the plan is to do a full-blown restoration. :-/
I was planning on doing the Rideamatic over the fall and winter, but that won't happen now. I'm going to have to hurry, because I plan on blowing snow with the 1053.
Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:07 PM
Are the wheels are the only things painted red, other than attachments?
I have some pretty good paint in few spots to get matched.
I was thinking of getting decals from Sam's Bolens, is that a good choice?
Posted September 06, 2013 - 06:32 AM
Since the 1053 is mostly white, I say your going to need around 3 quarts.
You should be able to get 2 coats out of that using the spray gun.
The only red on the tractor was the wheels.
- Kfs35 said thank you
Posted September 06, 2013 - 05:06 PM
But, a couple of days ago when I was looking for ignition parts I found out my neighbor has two 1050s sitting in his shed he wants to get rid of.
I should say he HAD them, cause now they are mine!!!!!
Neither of them have run in about 10 years, but they look to be in much better shape than my 1053. Each has a mower deck, and one has a freshly rebuilt starter generator that is still in a box. So the 1053 is going to become spare parts, and I'm going to figure out which 1050 to keep, and which to sell.
I may yet get to restore the Rideamatic this year.
Pics of the new ones tomorrow.
Here is a pic of the frame.
Edited by Kfs35, September 06, 2013 - 05:10 PM.