#1 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hello, sorry for the wall of text.

I have been trying to get my 1053 running right. The PO said his buddy had put a new head gasket on it recently, and then he never had time to get it running. I have cleaned the gas tank, and carburetor. I tried to set the float height as per the kit instructions, 1 5/8", but the float hits the bottom of the bowl then. So I just kinda eyeballed it. After I did that I got it to run, but not really well. It wouldn't rev up past about half throttle without quitting.

I finally had a chance to mess with it again, and now I can hardly get it to run at all. It starts, and idles most of the time. I can also get it to accelerate , but after a couple of seconds at higher rpm, it dies. At first I thought it was fuel, so I have had the carb apart I don't know how many times, and am pretty sure nothing is clogged. I have tried adjusting both the main and idle jets with no success. It seems like it will only run when it is overly rich.

When it dies at higher rpm, it seems almost like an ignition problem because I can choke it and it doesn't even fire again. As soon as I try to restart it will usually start, and if I rev it up, same thing again. It will accelerate for a few seconds and just die.

Since it acts like ignition, I put a plug, points and condenser in, with no change. I'm going to try a coil next.

Another problem I'm having that probably isn't related is the starter generator. It seems to work ok as a starter, but it puts a large load on the engine when generating. It also gets really hot, like starting to melt insulation on the field wire hot. I realize they will get hot, but this seems excessive. If I loosen the belt up to let it slip the tractor will actually idle better.

Any suggestions, or anybody interested in a non-running 1053 cheap??!!!!

Edited by Kfs35, September 03, 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 02:46 PM

The generator getting real hot would make me suspect an electrical short. This could also cause the ignition to cut out. The first thing would be to check all wires for cracks or worn insulation. The second thing would be to check the condition of the battery and then the voltage regulator. Download the manuals for instructions from our Manuals section. We are allowed three free per day. Take your time. Take pictures and if necessary spend $10 for a multimeter to test the components. Good Luck, Rick

• Kfs35 said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 03:26 PM

...  Download the manuals for instructions from our Manuals section. We are allowed three free per day. ...

Actually, if you become a SITE SUPPORTER (hint, hint), that limit goes away  :D :D :D

http://gardentractor...er-memberships/
  • Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ok, an update..

I eliminated all of the wiring on the tractor except from the points to the coil. Then I jumpered straight from the battery to the positive terminal on the coil, and another one to the starter. Same problem, it will start, run briefly then quit. I can accelerate it, and it will still die in a few seconds. I have a good strong spark (jumped about 3/8" to get me) so I'm thinking the coil probably isn't the problem.

That led me back to the carb. I took it apart again, checking all of the jets and passages. I found some crud I had missed on the main discharge jet. I had just hit it with carb cleaner and air before. This time I used a torch tip cleaner, and got some junk out. So I figured that was the problem. Put it back together with high hopes, but still the same result. It will start, run for a few seconds and then bog down and die.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:49 PM

I wonder if you have the right needle and seat set?  Is it new?  It sounds like the needle is sticking or its the wrong size for the unit.  Usually the float should not need to be adjusted. 

Ben W.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:04 PM

It sounds like your float level is off. You said you adjusted it per the manual but the bowl wouldn't go on without hitting the float? When holding the carb upside down I always set the float to where it is level with the base of the carb when it is resting on the needle. You can fine tune from there if need be.

• sacsr, Kfs35 and AVB have said thanks

#7 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:22 PM

It sounds like your float level is off. You said you adjusted it per the manual but the bowl wouldn't go on without hitting the float? When holding the carb upside down I always set the float to where it is level with the base of the carb when it is resting on the needle. You can fine tune from there if need be.

Yep, that is about where it is set now.

I got the carb kit from NAPA, and the directions said to set float height at 1 5/8". At that height the float hits the bottom of the bowl, so I just eyeballed it.

It seems like I have to have it adjusted or choked way too rich to get it to run.

When I first got the thing running a few months ago, I could run it up to about half throttle ok. Anything above that it would quit. I managed to till the garden with it. Now it won't run long enough at any engine speed to do nothing.

Running out of ideas and patience!

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:21 AM

If the starter/generator is dragging, it could cause the engine to stall.

Try removing the starter belt and starting the engine with the rope start pulley.  .....The key must be in the "on" position to allow power to the coil.

If the engine starts & runs properly, your starter/generator needs to be rebuilt.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#9 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:48 AM

If the starter/generator is dragging, it could cause the engine to stall.

Try removing the starter belt and starting the engine with the rope start pulley.  .....The key must be in the "on" position to allow power to the coil.

If the engine starts & runs properly, your starter/generator needs to be rebuilt.

It is putting a large load on the engine, but I eliminated the generator, and got the same results. It will start, run for a few seconds and quit.

#10 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 07:22 AM

I soaked the carb for a few hours in cleaner.

Put it back together, same problem. It will start, run for a few seconds, then bog down and die.

I think the new coil will show up today, so I'll give that a shot.

If that doesn't help, I'm going to pull the head. Maybe the exhaust valve is sticking or not seating properly.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Bob

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Too bad you didnt have a different carb you could swap with to see if its really the problem.

#12 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Too bad you didnt have a different carb you could swap with to see if its really the problem.

For sure!

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Are you sure that there is a good flow of gas to the carb? Check that before anymore difficult attempts. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 05, 2013 - 08:18 AM.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#14 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Are you sure that there is a good flow of gas to the carb? Check that before anymore difficult attempts. Good Luck, Rick

:iagree: :ditto:  :iagree: :ditto:

My Bolens 800 was having problems for a bit until I remembered there is a screen filter attached to the pepcock in the tank.My 1050 was having a problem with it to.I took the pepcock out,took it all apart and heated the screen to burn the junk off of it.Didn't look like there was much on it but there was a slight coating on it.But that was just enough to cause it to starve the engine of fuel.

It would start and run fine for a few seconds then bogg down and shut off.

I completely removed the fuel shut off on the 800 and threaded a nipple into it.I also put a cheap plastic inline B&S fuel shut off in just for piece of mind.

Hope it's an easy fix what ever it is.

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and Kfs35 have said thanks

#15 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:19 PM

It seems like it has sufficient fuel flow. I put a new petcock/strainer in recently, but I should probably check it again. I cleaned the fuel tank out recently too.

I may try to rig up a different fuel tank just to test it.

Edited by Kfs35, September 05, 2013 - 05:20 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you