40 replies to this topic

#16 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I was told by my 2  cousins that are die hard ford men that the one nice thing about the Chevys is they get better fuel mileage.I have a 88 k1500 1/2 ton Silverado 5 speed 5.7l (350) and I get 14 or 15 mpg empty w/ no trailer.I tow a 7,000 gvw skid loader trailer w/no problems.I also tow a 10,000 gvw car trailer.That one I have to watch how much I put on it it sags pretty good.As far as my 4 wheel drive set up it has the floor shift 4wd.Pretty nice set up.Works very well.If your s-10 has the 4.3l in it you'll probably get the same gas mileage as a v-8.I forget if you had that in your write up.In your price range your kind of limited to a smaller selection of trucks.Probably 2000 and older. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was told by my 2  cousins that are die hard ford men that the one nice thing about the Chevys is they get better fuel mileage.I have a 88 k1500 1/2 ton Silverado 5 speed 5.7l (350) and I get 14 or 15 mpg empty w/ no trailer.I tow a 7,000 gvw skid loader trailer w/no problems.I also tow a 10,000 gvw car trailer.That one I have to watch how much I put on it it sags pretty good.As far as my 4 wheel drive set up it has the floor shift 4wd.Pretty nice set up.Works very well.If your s-10 has the 4.3l in it you'll probably get the same gas mileage as a v-8.I forget if you had that in your write up.In your price range your kind of limited to a smaller selection of trucks.Probably 2000 and older. 

everyones favorite brand of truck gets the best gas mileage, dontcha know, lol, You can calculate your true mileage by dividing how old your wife THINKS you are (no cheating) by the number of words in your fishin/huntin stories times the number of speeding tickets you've had, fault or not. he he

#18 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Supposedly the big block has a ton of power.

They do. :smilewink:

• twostep said thank you

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:12 PM

I have an 04 crew 4x4 with the 6.0. You don't need that much truck for what you're describing. Waste of fuel. Look for a 1/2 ton long box.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I did some math and found out that a truck that gets 15mpg would cost about 25 cents per mile at $3.80 a gallon. Also, if a 7.3 diesel gets 20mpg then it would only cost 20 cents per mile at $4.10 a gallon. Maybe an f250 with a 7.3? That is all the power I would ever need, and that's a good thing because I would not be able to go any bigger!
  • OkieGt said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I did some math and found out that a truck that gets 15mpg would cost about 25 cents per mile at $3.80 a gallon. Also, if a 7.3 diesel gets 20mpg then it would only cost 20 cents per mile at $4.10 a gallon. Maybe an f250 with a 7.3? That is all the power I would ever need, and that's a good thing because I would not be able to go any bigger!

oooo, you forgot oil changes and maintenance of the diesel engine

#22 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Go with the 7.3 diesel. You will get killed with mpg towing with a gas! My dad has a '97 F250 with the 7.3 Diesel and it is a beast. Has all the towing power you could ask for and still gets pretty decent mpg. Those 7.3 diesels will run forever too. My dad's has 170,000 and he is hoping for 400,000-500,000 out of it (It is in real good shape for the year). If I can ever stop buying tractors, I want to get a 7.3 diesel too. They are just awesome. If you are looking to do alot of towing, you need a diesel for the power and mpg. My dad paid $3,900 for his and it is basically rust free with the low miles and is a extended cab. He got a steal on it though. I am thinking 4-5k for a nice 2WD ext cab and 5-7k for a nice 4WD. In my opinion, the 7.3 was the best as some of the later diesels had some engine problems but they did get it worked out in later years.

• OkieGt said thank you

#23 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:32 PM

oooo, you forgot oil changes and maintenance of the diesel engine

Oil changes need to be done in a gas too. :rolling: BUT, you have something with maitenance. It costs quite a lot to keep a diesel running good. Just the batteries to start the darn thing will set you back a couple hundred;at least. Then there's injecters,injector pumps,turbo's, and all the other good stuff that costs an arm and a leg on a diesel. Most of the people that own diesel's are young kids that just like to show off by blowing black smoke out there 8 inch pipe stuck up behind the cab. There's nothing WRONG with that, I am just saying that most people who own a diesel don't really need one. Gas is a lot cheaper to maintain.IMHO

• OkieGt said thank you

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:34 PM

I have an 04 crew 4x4 with the 6.0. You don't need that much truck for what you're describing. Waste of fuel. Look for a 1/2 ton long box.

Yup, it ALL depends on what you plan to do the most. I bought mine to pull a light to mid weight wheeler... and It does it fine with low cost maintenance. I would LOVE to have a cummins but the extra purchase price and extra maintenance cost doesn't really make sense.

...who considers weighted or towing mpg? I never check it...

I have many times considered taking a 1/2 ton and throwing 3/4 or 1 ton running gear under it. But that would not upgrade the GVW rating stamped on the door and would not fly at a DOT scale?

Who WOULDN'T consider both loaded and empty MPG's? Well I guess if you are ALWAYS going to do one or the other then I guess you wouldn't. In this hobby though I have found I make a lot of trips empty on one direction and loaded in the other :)

I am glad we don't have that DOT BS here in KY and TN (unless you are over 26,000 pounds). It's especially nice because I know it is illegal in KY and TN to triple tow without the front trailer being a fifthwheel... and I pull this:

533815_10200592651612844_1189039909_n.jpg

Edited by twostep, September 03, 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#25 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Oil changes need to be done in a gas too. :rolling: BUT, you have something with maitenance. It costs quite a lot to keep a diesel running good. Just the batteries to start the darn thing will set you back a couple hundred;at least. Then there's injecters,injector pumps,turbo's, and all the other good stuff that costs an arm and a leg on a diesel. Most of the people that own diesel's are young kids that just like to show off by blowing black smoke out there 8 inch pipe stuck up behind the cab. There's nothing WRONG with that, I am just saying that most people who own a diesel don't really need one. Gas is a lot cheaper to maintain.IMHO

oil changes are much more frequent, factory oil must be used, and amount of oil is double, cost is triple with filter, may new diesels must be factory changed in order to abide by the warranty.

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Most of the people that own diesel's are young kids that just like to show off by blowing black smoke out there 8 inch pipe stuck up behind the cab. There's nothing WRONG with that...

I'm very much a live and let live kind of person but when someone askes advice I'll tell them that black smoke is wasted fuel... and if you want to waste fuel them please just dump it in a bucket and I'll take it home and run my kubota on it. One "coal rolling" kid wastes enough fuel in a week going to school to mow my lawn for a month.

• LTD said thank you

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Go with the 7.3 diesel. You will get killed with mpg towing with a gas! My dad has a '97 F250 with the 7.3 Diesel and it is a beast. Has all the towing power you could ask for and still gets pretty decent mpg. Those 7.3 diesels will run forever too. My dad's has 170,000 and he is hoping for 400,000-500,000 out of it (It is in real good shape for the year). If I can ever stop buying tractors, I want to get a 7.3 diesel too. They are just awesome. If you are looking to do alot of towing, you need a diesel for the power and mpg. My dad paid $3,900 for his and it is basically rust free with the low miles and is a extended cab. He got a steal on it though. I am thinking 4-5k for a nice 2WD ext cab and 5-7k for a nice 4WD. In my opinion, the 7.3 was the best as some of the later diesels had some engine problems but they did get it worked out in later years.

I dont think he was needing just a heavy towing  truck or was going to mainly tow with the truck, so while your advice is sound, his needs are what will determine his truck purchase., ha ha, thats what e tell our wives. Pre 2000 7.3, hmmm most I see of that year or older have 200-300 thousand and not sure I would buy it from a guy I didn't know how it was maintained. A old diesel may kill you on repairs, some diesels have been known to have <gasp> deficiencies. Some of the old Dodge, Ford, and Chevy engines had their problems, wouldn't want one of those13 years old or more. Everyone has a story about a great diesel, but when you google these trucks the reviews aren't always as favorable, we study this phenomenon in Soc-Psyche. Unless I got a low mile (150,000 or less)well maintained diesel I wouldnt think too much about it as the maintenance and repairs could kill you for the amount of times you would need it to tow a large heavy trailer, just sayin

• Wheel Horse Kid said thank you

#28 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:58 PM

oil changes are much more frequent, factory oil must be used, and amount of oil is double, cost is triple with filter, may new diesels must be factory changed in order to abide by the warranty.

What you talkin about Willis ?   One oil change a year sometimes two, what the heck is factory oil ?   To keep the warranty on my son's 2012 Ford diesel we switched to Cenpeco oil. Fits all Fords requirements and we change it ourselves

We picked up a 4x4 95 Ford IDI 7.3 for $1200 off craigslist in good shape Their out there just look around.  The IDI will be a pulling engine after we put the two turbo's on and some other toy's

Edited by baerpath, September 03, 2013 - 11:15 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#29 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 01:54 AM

This is nice for the money.To bad it's not 4x4.Pretty close NY border.These pull a trailer very well.My uncle has a slightly newer version of this truck.

http://classifieds.p...adindex=2479172

This isn't bad either for the money.

http://classifieds.p...adindex=2474230

Sadly your pretty far away from both of them lol.

If you can find a Ford F250 7.3L turbo or a Decent Chevy 2500hd both pull a loaded trailer very well.You can buy manual lock out hubs for both fairly reasonable.

Buy a 7.3L school bus and hack it apart lol That's what my neighbor did to make his race car hauler.Think he paid $600 for the bus with just over 100k on it.

I highly recommend a manual transmission for both towing and fuel economy.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 04, 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#30 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:02 AM

What you talkin about Willis ?   One oil change a year sometimes two, what the heck is factory oil ?   To keep the warranty on my son's 2012 Ford diesel we switched to Cenpeco oil. Fits all Fords requirements and we change it ourselves

We picked up a 4x4 95 Ford IDI 7.3 for $1200 off craigslist in good shape Their out there just look around.  The IDI will be a pulling engine after we put the two turbo's on and some other toy's

My friend bought a new Ford F250 he has to have the oil changed more often than his car and less mileage. it has to be be FORD motorcraft oil or his warranty is over. Oil changes aren't done by time, they are done by mileage, unless your not driving. I just dont see that the OP stated enough reasons to justify recommending a large diesel truck when hes still on the 1/2-3/4 ton fence. That has really been the issue for sometime, the lack of all companies to build a small 1/2 ton diesel

Edited by OkieGt, September 04, 2013 - 06:10 AM.