Right now, I am driving around in a '91 S10, and while it is not bad, it is not really what I want or need. While the S10 is a truck, it is not a very big one and can not do many things a full-size truck can do. I need something that I can use to pull a trailer, a larger bed, and something that is just in better shape then the S10.
1) I need something that can pull a 3,000 pound car trailer, and I don't see putting more then 5,000 pounds on it. While I do need something that can pull that weight, I do not want something that is bigger then I need, as it will just burn more gas.
2) Another thing that is very desirable for me is four wheel drive. I would like something that has manual locking front hubs; I want manual locking hubs because I will get better gas mileage, and the parts will not wear as fast.
3) While diesels are nice, I can not afford to drive one around all the time. I am not sure how much engine I will need to pull the trailer I want to pull, but I dont want something unrealistically big for what I am doing.
4) The car trailer I have does have electric brakes, so as long as I get a truck with a set-up to use them stopping should not be a problem; although, there is no guarantee that I wont ever pull a trailer that does not have brakes. I am sure that from time to time I will be pulling something without brakes.
5) I am thinking that a 3/4 ton would be my best bet; however, if I got a 1/2 ton truck that is either HD or Super Duty, would that be enough? I don't want to get something oversize and have a bad riding truck when I don't have any weight.
6) I would prefer a manual transmission, as I feel like I have more control. From the looking I have done, it seems like most trucks now are automatic though, not the end of the world.
7) I think that I would have more use for bed space, then cab space. Because of this, I do not want a crew cab, but extended cab would not be bad.
8) I do not need anything fancy, I don't need power windows or power door locks. It does not have to be in perfect condition, but I don't want something rotted out either. I want something that is in good shape but will not matter if I put a scratch in it here or there.
My budget would likely be around $4,000 so something newer is out of the question. I am thinking that what ever I find, will be around 2000, give or take a few years.
What are your recommendations? I would like a Ford, but right now open to all suggestions.