• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Right now, I am driving around in a '91 S10, and while it is not bad, it is not really what I want or need. While the S10 is a truck, it is not a very big one and can not do many things a full-size truck can do. I need something that I can use to pull a trailer, a larger bed, and something that is just in better shape then the S10.

1) I need something that can pull a 3,000 pound car trailer, and I don't see putting more then 5,000 pounds on it. While I do need something that can pull that weight, I do not want something that is bigger then I need, as it will just burn more gas.

2) Another thing that is very desirable for me is four wheel drive. I would like something that has manual locking front hubs; I want manual locking hubs because I will get better gas mileage, and the parts will not wear as fast.

3) While diesels are nice, I can not afford to drive one around all the time. I am not sure how much engine I will need to pull the trailer I want to pull, but I dont want something unrealistically big for what I am doing.

4) The car trailer I have does have electric brakes, so as long as I get a truck with a set-up to use them stopping should not be a problem; although, there is no guarantee that I wont ever pull a trailer that does not have brakes. I am sure that from time to time I will be pulling something without brakes.

5) I am thinking that a 3/4 ton would be my best bet; however, if I got a 1/2 ton truck that is either HD or Super Duty, would that be enough? I don't want to get something oversize and have a bad riding truck when I don't have any weight.

6) I would prefer a manual transmission, as I feel like I have more control. From the looking I have done, it seems like most trucks now are automatic though, not the end of the world.

7) I think that I would have more use for bed space, then cab space. Because of this, I do not want a crew cab, but extended cab would not be bad.

8) I do not need anything fancy, I don't need power windows or power door locks. It does not have to be in perfect condition, but I don't want something rotted out either. I want something that is in good shape but will not matter if I put a scratch in it here or there.

My budget would likely be around $4,000 so something newer is out of the question. I am thinking that what ever I find, will be around 2000, give or take a few years.

What are your recommendations? I would like a Ford, but right now open to all suggestions.

• JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 02:30 PM

It sounds like you've already decided that you want an F250. The 351 is a good engine and should handle anything you want to pull. You need to look at what the truck is rated for pulling. The UHAUL site has the info to tell you any trucks towing capacity.

I pulled a 10,000# trailer with a C30 that had a 350 in it. I moved many cars, trucks, and tractors with it over 20 years. I would not carry a car on a trailer that is rated at less than 6000#. The C30 is off the road because of rot and I don't need it. I have a C10 that will get a new frame and running gear this winter. I will beef it up and rebuild a 350 for it. Then I will resurect a 3000# trailer for it. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 04, 2013 - 05:50 AM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 02:41 PM

I would not want to be in your shoes for I hate looking for a different vehicle.  Do you know or have a friend that deals with a auto auction place which would at least help you some on the price of what ever you decide to get

Good Luck    Dick

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I would not want to be in your shoes for I hate looking for a different vehicle.  Do you know or have a friend that deals with a auto auction place which would at least help you some on the price of what ever you decide to get

Good Luck    Dick

I know somebody who used to have a license for the auto auction. They bought it so that they could help other people buy vehicles from there and they would not have to buy one them selves. I know they let it expire a couple years ago, not sure if they got another or not, I know they wanted to. I will have to ask them.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ryan as far as the electric brakes go you can add the module for the electric trailer brakes pretty easily. So don't let that deter you.

If you can find a truck for sale from someone you may know you might get a better deal and hopefully a better truck (less repairs).

Good Luck.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Ryan as far as the electric brakes go you can add the module for the electric trailer brakes pretty easily. So don't let that deter you.

If you can find a truck for sale from someone you may know you might get a better deal and hopefully a better truck (less repairs).

Good Luck.

It is not adding the brakes to the truck, it is adding the brakes to a trailer. What I mean is if I borrow a trailer for what ever reason, then it is not like I am going to put brakes onto it.

I am spreading the word, so hopefully I will find something soon for a good price!

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well...I'm not a Ford guy. If you decide to go the Chevy route,a good truck would be a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 engine. My grandfather has a 2002 model with the 6.0 and it has lots of power. My father has a 3/4 ton with an 8.1 gas engine and a 6 speed manual transmission. Nice truck, but if your looking for fuel mileage it's not a good truck to have.  You probably don't need a 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton will pull the trailer your talking about without any problems. I like the old trucks myself. I have a 1989 Chevy 4x4 with a 5 speed manual and a 5.0 engine. The chevy's built from 80-98 are some of the best truck's ever made IMO. Extended cab's are nice. My brother's 98 chevy is an extended cab short box. They are really handy for storing stuff. Wouldn't plan on hauling people around in it though. Good luck whatever you get!!! 

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 04:15 PM

I second what LTD said. I've got a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 with the 6L gasser. I triple tow a 16' car hauler with a Jeep and a 1500lb popup behind that. I can get 8.5mpg running 65-75 going through the "mountains" of southeast KY. Empty highway driving at 65 I can squeeze out 15mpg.

Lock out hubs are hard to find.

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Also, a friend has the same truck with the 8.1L and he claims the mpg's are worse but also they are not effected by pulling weight near as much as the small block. Suppedly the big block has a ton of power.

$4000 will get close to buying a truck similar to what I have.

And as LTD said, the extended cab (pre 2005 or so) is good for hauling stuff and kids... that is about it though.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 04:58 PM

It is not adding the brakes to the truck, it is adding the brakes to a trailer. What I mean is if I borrow a trailer for what ever reason, then it is not like I am going to put brakes onto it.

I am spreading the word, so hopefully I will find something soon for a good price!

In Item #3 of your OP you said that your car trailer has electric brakes and all I was saying is that if you find a truck that does not have the electric brake setup for a trailer it should deter you from buying it because it doesn't take much to install the module you will need for the electric brakes for your trailer.  

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Right now, I am driving around in a '91 S10, and while it is not bad, it is not really what I want or need. While the S10 is a truck, it is not a very big one and can not do many things a full-size truck can do. I need something that I can use to pull a trailer, a larger bed, and something that is just in better shape then the S10.

1) I need something that can pull a 3,000 pound car trailer, and I don't see putting more then 5,000 pounds on it. While I do need something that can pull that weight, I do not want something that is bigger then I need, as it will just burn more gas.

2) Another thing that is very desirable for me is four wheel drive. I would like something that has manual locking front hubs; I want manual locking hubs because I will get better gas mileage, and the parts will not wear as fast.

3) While diesels are nice, I can not afford to drive one around all the time. I am not sure how much engine I will need to pull the trailer I want to pull, but I dont want something unrealistically big for what I am doing.

4) The car trailer I have does have electric brakes, so as long as I get a truck with a set-up to use them stopping should not be a problem; although, there is no guarantee that I wont ever pull a trailer that does not have brakes. I am sure that from time to time I will be pulling something without brakes.

5) I am thinking that a 3/4 ton would be my best bet; however, if I got a 1/2 ton truck that is either HD or Super Duty, would that be enough? I don't want to get something oversize and have a bad riding truck when I don't have any weight.

6) I would prefer a manual transmission, as I feel like I have more control. From the looking I have done, it seems like most trucks now are automatic though, not the end of the world.

7) I think that I would have more use for bed space, then cab space. Because of this, I do not want a crew cab, but extended cab would not be bad.

8) I do not need anything fancy, I don't need power windows or power door locks. It does not have to be in perfect condition, but I don't want something rotted out either. I want something that is in good shape but will not matter if I put a scratch in it here or there.

My budget would likely be around $4,000 so something newer is out of the question. I am thinking that what ever I find, will be around 2000, give or take a few years.

What are your recommendations? I would like a Ford, but right now open to all suggestions.

You have high hopes for gas mieage and the price of a decent truck, lol, lol. That truck your speaking of MIGHT get 16mpg in 1/2 ton considerably less in 3/4 ton, yep you'll have to go earlier than year 2000, do they even make manual lock outs on 1/2 tons anymore? Best bet might be eBay, and find something far south and west to get away from rust. Almost anything you buy within 500 miles has the possibility of having a large amount of rust, hidden or obvious . I'm thinking buying a restored 1975 Ford heavy half Ranger pickup with the 300 straight six and manual tranny. A friend of mine has a Ford 1/2 ton truck just as your talking and for the right price, it is a flat bed, but it has also had an extensive upgrade on suspension. Unfortunately the trucks in Oklahoma and he is working in Afghanistan until November

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 05:47 PM

It is sure no simple task looking for a truck that will do it all. It is something i have pondered a lot.
4 wd will eat some gas. geared to pull a load will eat some gas. Set up to haul some weight will eat some gas.
Then you have to look hard at GVW and towing capacity. Some states take a dim view on exceeding GVW andTowing capacity.
Even to the point that fines can exceed the price you pay for the used truck..
After considering it all, I have done nothing yet.
In the meantime I am sticking with my 2005 F150, 4.6 V8 auto 2 wd. getting 23 mpg empty and who considers weighted or towing mpg? I never check it. But have towed a 2500 lb skidloader with it.
What i am saying is research it thoughly before you jump.
Like you I like Fords, but if I ran across a Chevy or Dodge in better shape for the money.
I would buy the better machine regardless of brand.

I have many times considered taking a 1/2 ton and throwing 3/4 or 1 ton running gear under it. But that would not upgrade the GVW rating stamped on the door and would not fly at a DOT scale?

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 03, 2013 - 05:51 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:19 PM

It is sure no simple task looking for a truck that will do it all. It is something i have pondered a lot.
4 wd will eat some gas. geared to pull a load will eat some gas. Set up to haul some weight will eat some gas.
Then you have to look hard at GVW and towing capacity. Some states take a dim view on exceeding GVW andTowing capacity.
Even to the point that fines can exceed the price you pay for the used truck..
After considering it all, I have done nothing yet.
In the meantime I am sticking with my 2005 F150, 4.6 V8 auto 2 wd. getting 23 mpg empty and who considers weighted or towing mpg? I never check it. But have towed a 2500 lb skidloader with it.
What i am saying is research it thoughly before you jump.
Like you I like Fords, but if I ran across a Chevy or Dodge in better shape for the money.
I would buy the better machine regardless of brand.

I have many times considered taking a 1/2 ton and throwing 3/4 or 1 ton running gear under it. But that would not upgrade the GVW rating stamped on the door and would not fly at a DOT scale?

We dont have dot scales. People from Oklahoma get a BIG surprise driving out of state, here you see 1/2 V6 trucks towing tandem axle horse trailers. I personally towed a 4100 lb tractor on a 16 foot tandam axle trailer and also hauled 5300lbs of gravel in a 1 ton PU bed trailer. No kidding there is almost no law on the road here, most tickets given here are seat belt violations. We were in traffic the other day, 65mph behind a cop who was behind a uncovered load of wood mulch, his car was getting pummeled, when he got a chance he passed the guy and went on. Be VERY VERY careful if you drive through here, between the dopers, drugs and over prescribed soccer moms its like Mad Max at Thunderdome here. EVERY day I get passed by cars driving on the SHOULDER at 50+mph, They will pass on double solid lines and even when they can see traffic approaching expecting you to slow down and let them pass. I'm not kidding one bit, almost every day I have a near death experience. The big problem is none of our county sheriffs carry ticket books or can write tickets, most local constables are either too lazy or hamstrung on ticket laws (a town is only allowed to write so many tickets a month/year) that leaves a million mile of road to be patrolled by a small state police force that isn't even paid the same as a city patrol officer.

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:42 PM

let me first state that I am a die-hard ford man. I pull with a 2000 f250 crew 7.3 diesel 4x4. I absolutely love the truck but, I would not want to drive it every day, not for what you might think though, I get 20mpg to 23mpg empty, 13mpg to 16mpg pulling. it is a pain in the butt to park the monster. parking lots are not made for the 20+ ft long trucks. my father in law had a 95 f150 2wd with a 302, it did ok but pulling he maybe only got 10 and on a good day empty got maybe 14. he bought a 03 chevy extended cab 2wd with the small v8 and it does great. he gets 18 or so empty and most of the time 13 pulling. he uses it for everything from pulling tractors to a load of 18ft logs 2-3ft diameter(HEAVY,HEAVY). and the truck does fine. if you can find a 95-97 f250 with a 7.3 diesel you will not be disappointed, any 7.3 before 95 are not turbo and do not have the power that the turbos do.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:22 PM

We dont have dot scales. People from Oklahoma get a BIG surprise driving out of state, here you see 1/2 V6 trucks towing tandem axle horse trailers. I personally towed a 4100 lb tractor on a 16 foot tandam axle trailer and also hauled 5300lbs of gravel in a 1 ton PU bed trailer. No kidding there is almost no law on the road here, most tickets given here are seat belt violations. We were in traffic the other day, 65mph behind a cop who was behind a uncovered load of wood mulch, his car was getting pummeled, when he got a chance he passed the guy and went on. Be VERY VERY careful if you drive through here, between the dopers, drugs and over prescribed soccer moms its like Mad Max at Thunderdome here. EVERY day I get passed by cars driving on the SHOULDER at 50+mph, They will pass on double solid lines and even when they can see traffic approaching expecting you to slow down and let them pass. I'm not kidding one bit, almost every day I have a near death experience. The big problem is none of our county sheriffs carry ticket books or can write tickets, most local constables are either too lazy or hamstrung on ticket laws (a town is only allowed to write so many tickets a month/year) that leaves a million mile of road to be patrolled by a small state police force that isn't even paid the same as a city patrol officer.

Yeah that was my point! laws in states across the country vary from almost lawless to thumbscrews going with the license?
It pays to check and avoid unpleasant surprizes!!
  • OkieGt said thank you