• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mattmarshall OFFLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • Member No: 46338
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I have an older model 111 johny deere mower, 11 hp briggs, it had been sitting outside for 5 years. Ive went thru it and had to put a new starter on it. Im using a used battery from another rider, its been charged and is holding about 12.38 volts.. When I first got it together, the engine turned for a few seconds, then all u could hear is the solenoid clicking. I jumped the starter wire and the ground with my charger on engine start option, and the starter turns just fine. After testing the battery, 12.38 volts..i tested juice to the started while turning the key, im getting about 12.14 volts at the starter. Im not real familiar with solenoids, and was wondering if it needsa a new one, or maybe the battery being older might be part of the problem, also when i hit the engine start option from the battery and turn the key, the solenoid still just clicks, and wont turn over the engine. Any suggestions? Thank you

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:47 AM

After  setting all those years all the terminals tend to rust and corrode. Check and super clean all the battery and solenoid and ground connections. It doesn't take much corrosion to impede electrical flow.

• Mattmarshall said thank you

#3 Mattmarshall OFFLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 12:07 PM

only things i havent cleaned is the ignotion switch and that solenoid, ima try that first, but lookin online its seems new solenoid is under 20 bux, so its not that real costly

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Welcome to GTT. Sometimes the solenoids corrode inside. Light corrosion will wear off with multiple starting attempts. If it is heavy corrosion, just replace it. I'd clean the terminals and charge the battery. Then try turning  the switch on and off a dozen times. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 03, 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#5 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:23 PM

ur ground from the motor to the frame and or from the battery to the motor might be coroded too.  mother nature is a slow but unforgiving old gal.....

• JDBrian, boyscout862 and Mattmarshall have said thanks

#6 Mattmarshall ONLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm new to this site, but have just looked in the past at others posts thts been helpful, so I joined. I'm not real sure how to post pics yet, but basically this mower sat outside, full of tree sap n leaves for 5 yrs. The starter supposedly went out on it, I got the old one with it, and yea, by turning it..haha it was out..i picked another up for $25, I pulled the the flywheel and noticed it wasa stator type motor (one ive never really delt with) i cleaned all contacts on that, the coil, reset the coil at .20 thousandths (hope thats right too, most ive ever done are) put a used battery i had, that most likely aint very good, but by a meter after a charge read 12.38...i cleaned it off decent to work on it, took the deck off, the belts were froze to the pulleys, the spindles by the way were froze too..i unfroze them and greased it all and got it back to this condition asa basically id call it a roller...i fix'd one front flat tire today after work, beat it down and tubed it..the rest hold air..and just been tryin to go from there... i dont know if this pic will work thru this site, but i did post it earlier on facebook to friends.. when i got it...i shoulda took some pics..it was very sad...but i like tinkerin, and didnt have any project at the time...i have only what ive spent on it in it...which so far is less than 50 bucks..

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Edited by Mattmarshall, September 03, 2013 - 09:56 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. When checking a battery the voltage under load is more important than the unloaded voltage. When you measure the voltage at the starter you need to do it from the start terminal on the starter to the chassis of the starter. Using the battery - terminal will not take into account any voltage drop in the wiring from battery- to the chassis. As someone said above that connection should be checked as it's just as important as the + connection but is often ignored or taken for granted. 

• Delmar and Mattmarshall have said thanks

#8 Mattmarshall OFFLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well..i've finally taken everything down and gave it a real good cleaning. Still same problem, the motor does seem kinda stiff tho, but its turning, i think it should be easier tho, i've even left the plug out too..solenoid will click everytime u turn the key, sometimes it acts like it wants to take off and u see the flywheel barely turn. Almost like the guy that sold me this rebuilt starter shafted me, but then again, when i arc from the starter to the ground, it will turn the motor over decent..just bypass everything and it'd turn it...i shot some panther piss down the cyclinder n carb too, ran it by arcin it till it looked like the starter was gettin a lil warm..just tryin to see if it all needed free'd up..ima ask u guys, and a local shop here that know me well, if nothin works i think ima pull the head and investigate..could a solenoid get weak? and only halfway do its job??

• Genem said thank you

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 08:47 AM

The solenoid could be corroded  and would then reduce the voltage to the starter. One thing that you said makes me believe that you have a bad ground. Clean the (-) terminal of the battery and its wire. Clean where that wire contacts the frame. Check the resistance of the wire. Clean the frame to engine connection. Clean the starter to engine connections. Charge up the battery and give it a try. Good Luck, Rick

What does the oil in the engine look like? Change it if there are any possibilities of a problem.

#10 Mattmarshall ONLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:16 AM

i took it ALL down, sanded, changed to new bolts, everythings new n shiny, changed the oil as well...and have left the plug out, it does seem to turn over sorta hard, but i can tell it should run, see dont understand much on a solenoid, or alot of electrical in the first place, just my deduction is, if its just clickin before the solenoid, yet if i just jump off th starter/ground, it turns..just sorta did process of elimination...can i jump across the two main contacts on the solenoid (without hurtin it) even tho its prolly bad anyway..hehe...and see if the starter will turn that way? oil was just dark too, no metal in it...does seem to turn over hard though..but i figured if it turned over directly from the starter, and not from there back...somethin before that end pretty much has to be bad now..cus its all real clean

Edited by Mattmarshall, September 14, 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:39 AM

You can run a jumper cable from the solenoid to the starter terminal but you will get a pretty good spark. Connect to the starter first and then to the solenoid input terminal. You may have a wire that is corroded inside. You need an ohm meter to check the resistance. By any chance is the gear drive of the starter hanging up on the ring gear? Good Luck, Rick

#12 Mattmarshall ONLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM

nah starters rebuilt and works fine...what type of resistance should it carry?? honestly by first look before  i cleaned the solenoid..i beleive thats my problem, i thought the place i buy parts from was open today, so ill have to wait till monday now..and bein since i seen they sell a rebuild kit for the same solenoid...and i see whats all inside of it (ive never taken one apart)...i can see it can definitely be a problem due to time sittin and all

Edited by Mattmarshall, September 14, 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#13 Mattmarshall OFFLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:59 PM

well..ive bought and intalled a new solenoid...still same problem, it just clicks when i turn the key, im beginning to think the only other thing that could be wrong is the ignition switch itself....any suggestions? like ive said...all terminals are clean, and if i use my charger on jumpstart from the terminal on the starter and the ground terminal to the block, the starter turns...but thru the ignition key, the solenoid just clicks...beginnin to get on my nerves...i hate electrical problems anyways....thanks for any help~!~

#14 Mattmarshall OFFLINE  

Mattmarshall
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 05:03 AM

BANG!!!!! GOT IT~!~!~ bad ignition switch...man i jiggled the hell outa that thing...sprayed it down real good, a friend came by today and we was discussing it, and just i guess either him being good luck for me, or the angle i was standing at the time i turned it over to show him... it worked!!!, parts store guy said they run bout 12-13 bux, im headed there today. so.. so far, starter-$25, solenoid/new fuel filter - $17, misc. springs,bolts,wd/40, inner tube for 1 tire - $20...so far so good on the money situation~!~..THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES AND HELP..I MUST SAY THIS IS A REALLY NICE FORUM!!!!!!

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Just make sure you come home with the right switch. There are several that look the same, but are different inside.