#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Sheared flywheel key on a 10hp? Hmmmm that's strange.I've only had 1 engine sheer it's flywheel key and that was because the new coil I got was faulty.For some reason it was firing to soon and caused the engine to kick back hard while cranking it.Good thing it was on an older tractor equipped with starter genny or it would of ripped the teeth off of the starter and possibly the ring gear.

I ended up replacing the aftermarket Stens electronic ign. coil for a points coil and put new points and condenser in it.Man it starts so easy now.

This was on my MTD Fourteen Hundred with 14hp cast iron briggs single cylinder.

I refuse to buy any more Stens coils.This is the 2nd one in a row that was bad out of the box. 

#17 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • Member No: 40923
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:09 PM

removed lube, reinstalled to  65 lbs.  Flywheel is happy now.

#18 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I used the suggested method of one valve up......adjust the other one.  Much better clearances.  Had mine way too loose.....about .014! 

#19 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:28 PM

So I get all the engine sorted out, starting, with choke when cold like it should, now the muffler has a small hole in it below the outlet pipe. I had to remove the muffler and tighten the 45 degree street elbow cause who ever put it on did not use the threaded star washer right.    I love how quiet this engine is with that bolens muffler.  Is there a suitable replacement that isn't close to 100 bucks?  Even thought about making my own muffler.  A garden tractor muffler shouldn't cost this much as a car, this is just wrong, lol.

#20 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 10:06 PM

It is always something, isn't it.

#21 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:43 PM

trying to rebuild this engine now.  Problem is, the block I sourced from ebay has or uses ball bearings on the crank.  I have no clue where to purchase these bearings.  I do not have old bearings to match up or use for part numbers.  Does anyone know the generic bearing part number of a 10hp crank ball bearing?  New block code is 221437-4045-01.  Figured since this block is in good shape and its cast iron sleeve, it would work and last longer.

Edited by quartermilecamel, February 02, 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 01:11 AM

trying to rebuild this engine now. Problem is, the block I sourced from ebay has or uses ball bearings on the crank. I have no clue where to purchase these bearings. I do not have old bearings to match up or use for part numbers. Does anyone know the generic bearing part number of a 10hp crank ball bearing? New block code is 221437-4045-01. Figured since this block is in good shape and its cast iron sleeve, it would work and last longer.

I would check and see if you can order the bearings thru one of the site sponsors. I'm sure one of them have a set or an get them.

Probably need a set of numbers off the engine block.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#23 quartermilecamel OFFLINE  

quartermilecamel
  • 19 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 02:45 AM

just rebuilt this engine with a newer block.  Numbers are 221437-4045-01.  Cast iron sleeve, ball bearings.  The governor gear I used was out of the original block251417-0159-01.  Are the governor gears the same?  Engine is revving high after start.  Confirmed gear was spinning when I took off governor lever to carb and rotated governor shaft clockwise.  It felt as if the peg that sits on top of the weights of the governor gear is missing or fell off upon assembly because the shaft vibrated lilke it was hitting those weights when the gear was spinning.  Other than the governor issue, it has much more power and starts easier now.

#24 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:39 PM

The gear is the same as long as the date code (s/n) on your new block is before 91061000.  P/N for the gear for both engines before that code is a 391737.  After that code, the new engine needs a 494845.

Ben W.