• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM

i have a 224 case and that the tie rod that goes to the steering gear and up to the axle the ball as worn out and falls out everytime there isnt any pressure from turning so i looked around and cant seem too find anything, i find the male and female ones but the one i have is male and male, wheres a good source of parts for this tractor?

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Just buy the new ends for rod. IF yours are the built into the rod kind, then you will need to buy Two fittings and make a new rod. My Ace Hardware has those ends, or any GT place. You just need to know what size the stud is that goes into the steering rod holes and also the rod you are making, which is usually the same. You don't need a left hand and right hand like what you might orig have, you can adjust while one end is out of the steer arm.  Just take the steer link along with you to the stores, they'll fix you up.

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Try Mc Master-Carr for the ball ends. 

A quick fix I used that is still holding is to put a gob of grease in the socket, then insert the ball.Get a heavy hammer like a single-jack and a large ball pein hammer.  Place the single jack opposite the opening,and use the ball pein to CAREFULLY hammer the sides and top back down around the ball.  You may need to remove it from the rod, put it in a vise, and use a punch... work carefully around the opening...

HTH

Smitty

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:58 PM

When the ones on the GT5000 fell off, I drilled thru with an 1/8" bit so water could get out from now on, then put the ball back in and with the braising tip, punch and hammer, I reformed and crimped off the opening like original (like US above, but with burnt fingers)

Then I soaked it in oil and then put it on. Once in a while, I remember to give it a little more oil... So far, so good.