Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lightening Just Got Two Of My Computers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Good deal!  If it hadn't been the memory the alternative was a mother board so I'm happy that things worked out for you.

#17 Stubby OFFLINE  

Stubby
  • Member No: 34568
  • 28 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 15, 2013 - 08:21 PM

The hard drive in the laptop can be removed and by using a usb adapter or if it is a SATA connection it also can be slaved into a desktop so you can retrieve any files. They do make a USB adapter that will allow you to connect a parallel or SATA drive to another computer for file backups.

Hopefully all you end up needing is memory chips. But do check the caps on the motherboard just to make sure the board at least looks good.

• Username said thank you

#18 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 07:15 AM

The hard drive in the laptop can be removed and by using a usb adapter or if it is a SATA connection it also can be slaved into a desktop so you can retrieve any files. They do make a USB adapter that will allow you to connect a parallel or SATA drive to another computer for file backups.

Hopefully all you end up needing is memory chips. But do check the caps on the motherboard just to make sure the board at least looks good.

Are you thinking I might only need memory chips for the laptop?

I will probably go the same route as I did with the deck top and buy a similar laptop and try to swap the hard drive.That is one thing nice about running this older equipment as go for cheap and still do the job at a speed that is acceptable to me.

#19 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 07:20 AM

The saga continues.Just tried using my several month old Linksys E3000 router and found out it is a ghost.

Don't know if this is just a coincidence but my one year old water heater that I use for radiant floor heat in my garage quit working since the lightening strike.I has a circuit board in it and I am getting nothing out of it while trying to light the pilot light.Water was still hot from before the strike.Could have followed the iron gas pipe?

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 08:53 AM

One it for sure lightning is very unpredictable about what it chooses to hit.  Very good possibility that it took out both the router and the hot water heater.  With all that has gone out you know home owners insurance will cover a lighting strike.