#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:16 PM

I bought this john deere 140 over a year ago, it came with a hydraulic blade and a Kwik way loader :dancingbanana:

The engine is junk, it is stuck, with a broken rod and someone striped out the head (where the spark plug threads in at) :(

I have a newer Kohler 18hp V twin engine, it looks like it's going to fit right in with few modifications if any at all.

The other issue with the garden tractor is the steering is out, which brings up the idea of modifying it over to tracks???

I am thinking about making a sub frame for the tracks to mount on, then setting the GT on top of that?

It would make it a lot stouter and I think it would be easier in the long run.

My other option is removing the broken steering box and then set up a hydraulic steering.
But I have always wanted tracks and this would be a great candidate since I have a dozer blade, loader and backhoe that I would also fit on there. This would be the "perfect digging machine"

Has anyone on here made tracks? I am going to use larger tractor tires with the sidewalls cut off and then use a metal bolt on guide to keep them on.
I have seen several JD 140's with the track conversion and it looks like it works well.

Also has anyone put a 18hp V twin engine in one of these?

Let me know what you think? good idea or bad? :loosing_it:

JohnDeere140GardenTractorandLoader004.jp

JohnDeere140GardenTractorandLoader002.jp

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 020.JPG
  • John Deere 140 021.JPG
  • John Deere 140 025.JPG

• sacsr, dropped82, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:37 AM

Sounds like a good project. I know that the common re power engine for the 140 is a B and S Vanguard Vtwin anywhere from 16 to 20 hp. The Kohler Vtwin should fit as long as the crank is not too high to line up with the hydro input shaft. Good luck and keep us posted. 

• BTS said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:42 AM

I like that loader!

Ben W.

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm not sure if I'll have time today, but I'm going to try to get the engine fitted today or tomorrow. I just need to unhook the drive shaft off the engine in there and then lift it out.

Thank you JDBrian, you give me hope that this will fit without much trouble :thumbs:

I have always liked this loader too, It is a Kwik Way Garden Master Model G (I think) I also had a Brantly loader but I sold it because I liked this one more.

I will do updates as I go, it just depends on how much time I have to work on it.

• dropped82 said thank you

#5 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Sounds good and good luck with the project. Personally, I would like to see a crawler conversion, but that is a lot harder to do. Whatever you decide, I am watching. Again, good luck.

-Mike

• BTS said thank you

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would think that it would be a lot easier to repair or replace the steering system while the motor is out that it would be to remove all of that and then have to re-engineer the tractor.............but the tracks would be cool.

• BTS and michael.kitko have said thanks

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 10:44 PM

I have been thinking about converting it over to power steering and forgetting the tracks, but the more I think of it the tracks would be really neat to have.
So I guess I'm going to try the tracks and see what happens. :rocker2:

Does anyone know the top speed of a JD 140 ? I'm thinking about going with a smaller drive wheel/sprocket so it will slow it down (thinking it would give it more power) but yet I don't want to slow it down to much.

I'm also thinking about using old conveyer belt with cleats for tracks, I think it would be easier then using old tractor tires with the sidewalls cut off.

Thanks for any info

I'm hoping to do some work on it tomorrow, I'll post pictures of my progress.

Thanks again :wave:

• dropped82 said thank you

#8 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:30 PM

I believe the top speed is 6.8 mph. I did look it up on tractordata.com. I would say mine is pretty close to that with the throttle and hydro lever full open.
  • BTS said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:53 PM

As for track ideas, what about coiling door slats? The steel slats are anywhere from 2" - 3" wide. You could get a lot of pieces out of a 12' or 16' length. The slats all slide together, and you could weld a chain link on the backside, so that all of the slats could be held in a continuous row, to work with your drive wheels. Heck, try and find a couple of coiling door gear drives to work with the 140 rear axles, and a matching pair for the fronts, and sprocket teeth to match the drive chain used on the backside of the slat tracks. 

Gee, maybe I'll have to fabricate my own tracks. We have all of the material laying outside in a dumpster at work. Hmmmm! :tapping_fingers:

• BTS said thank you

#10 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 02:00 AM

I never thought of that idea myself, that is a good idea.
  • johndeereelfman and BTS have said thanks

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:35 AM

I wouldn't have thought of that either, that is a really good idea, I'll look around and see what I can find

I didn't think of looking on tractordata.com for the speed, THANK YOU for the info! :worshippy1:

So if it goes just about 7mph, then If I have the drive wheels half the size it would give me a top speed between 3 and 4 mph. Which isn't to bad, because the furthest I would go on it is across our property which is 3 acres.

Yesterday I got the fenders removed, I'll get some more work done today and I will post pictures.

My next step is to start building the sub frame. For the track rollers I am thinking about using lawn mower deck wheels, I have a big box of them new that I got at a auction, (they suppose to go on Hustlers) I am thinking if I drill out the hole in them, I could slide in a bushing so they wouldn't wear so quick.

Thanks again for everyone's help and info :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#12 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Here are some updated pictures, I got the body off and the rear wheels off.

I haven't had much time to work on it

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine & John Deere 140 023.JPG
  • Combine & John Deere 140 024.JPG

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:42 PM

OK, I am helping someone load a old gleaner L combine for scrap metal, ( I have a trailer and the know how ).

I am taking some stuff off of it that might be handy like some small hydraulic cylinders and valves.

Also on the combine is chain and sprockets, the chain is pretty heavy (1"wide) but the sprockets are only 5" so they are to small to use (will only have a top speed of 1mph) I am thinking about using the sprockets for the front guides and then try to find bigger sprockets or build some if possible for the rear.

I also have a pile of flat steel to weld to the chain for the cleats.

I think it should work pretty good.

I am having to work extra hours for the next week or two so I may not have as much time to work on it this week, but I'm hoping to do some work in the evenings.

Here are some pictures of the combine and the chain, there are two strands of chain that are about 10' so I should have lots of chain left over, also added a picture of the flat steel that I'm going to use for the cleats

Attached Thumbnails

• Combine & John Deere 140 001.JPG
  • Combine & John Deere 140 017.JPG
  • Combine & John Deere 140 018.JPG
  • Combine & John Deere 140 027.JPG

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Didn't get much done because I am working extra hours, but I got the engine pulled, I'll try and get the front axle pulled tomorrow.

I did find out that the steering box is good, I just noticed that the mount that the box hooks to is loose, broke or something so it doesn't hold in place like it should, it just rotates sideways and locks up.
I'm still going ahead with the tracks (I'm all excited about them now!) :firejumper:

I wish it was done and I was out driving it, but it's going to be a fun experience and I'll get as many pictures while I build it :camera:

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 010.JPG
  • John Deere 140 011.JPG

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 10:23 PM

The guy that I'm working for has a old Davis Trencher that is junked out, I asked him about it but he's not ready to sell it yet, (maybe I should talk to his wife :smilewink: ). It has really nice tracks that are the perfect size!

But If I got it I would probably just stick a 50hp Case Diesel engine that I have in it and still build tracks for the 140 anyway :D

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 001.JPG