#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:49 PM

OK, didn't take pictures before teardown like I should  have and don't seem to recall exactly how my gov/throttle linkage was on my 14 hp engine now. This is on my 77 2414. I had to PK engines and tore them down and not sure which parts were on which engine now. Think I have two flat metal linkages, one with spring to the gov arm and rod to other, but not sure where "other" was mounted. Has the angle iron like clip that the throttle cable went thru with two nuts right on cable to adjust. Not sure where exactly THAT goes either.  Any one have a pix of theirs I can compare to mine and see if gonna be right? I'm gonna look thru the thumb drive and see if I can find pix in there too, just takes a long time.  Hmmmm, just remembered my Red Book! Might look in there first.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:08 PM

OK, found some old tear-down pix with Fair views and think I have it now. I had one wrong flat lever off the other spare engine I guess and the long one went right on the blower housing cover in one of several holes I found there. The actual cable adjust mount is still not real clear, but think it will work right at the housing mount bolt and be good. Thanks G.L. for answering your own question again!  Darn, this guy is good for info! :smilewink:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:42 AM

If this engine is a Kohler K then the Kohler service manual may be some help. 

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Have manual, saw section, nothing like mine.  So many times the systems shown are diff than what you are actually working on. Least for me that seems true. Every maker must have diff requirements to mount in the chassis they have and K makes the changes to fit for them. Specs   I guess is the key.

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 02, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Have manual, saw section, nothing like mine.  So many times the systems shown are diff than what you are actually working on. Least for me that seems true. Every maker must have diff requirements to mount in the chassis they have and K makes the changes to fit for them. Specs   I guess is the key.

Let me know, I have a 2414 I can send a pic.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I got it, thanks, cause GL helped Me!     Ha!

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I got it, thanks, cause GL helped Me!     Ha!

Glad you were able to get the info. I looked for a while, but wasnt able to come up with anything you hadn't already been directed to and it's a motor I don't have in the stable.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hey, got the thing running today, yippee!  Lots of backfires thru straight pipe and didn't idle till I got the carb leaned out better. Now idles and runs pretty good. Don't think the Gov is working too well. Not sure where to hook the springs in which hole on parts. These are what is supposed to control the sensitivity of the Gov according to book. Didn't have time to mess with yet, will try later. I didn't use the balance gears in this build, haven't noticed any more vibes than most any K engine I've had. Happy with that! Clutch works and pretty easy not grabby like most PK's I've had, happy with that too. Haven't actually taken out for drive yet. Still plenty to do on it before using. The Yellow and Red is looking Good!  Had to mount the battery out on the side of frame as no tin on this tractor. Looks OK, but serious and not hidden away. Now to find way/place for the hydraulic tank to mount. It wil be in back somewhere. Plan on making a frame for that and to hold some big flat topped fenders I'm gonna make for it. Gonna mount like a Speedex did theirs, not off gear case, but off the frame near seat mounting. Still working on the plans for that. The lift link arm is in way for lots of ideas and is biggest issue for clearance. Sure like the lower cylinders better like on 80 and above models. Out of way and cleaner looking.

#9 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hey Grumpy,

Congrats on getting the old gal running!

Chuck

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 14, 2013 - 12:03 AM

Yeah  Chuck, ended up using that same engine afterall, not the extra I had. Bored it .020 and .010 on rod. Took out the bal gears and seems fine. I took it out for a drive today after tweaking that governor one more time. Seems I have it pretty good now, I Like it. Had to redo my exhaust, forgot about side of hood being that low. Was gonna put on a stack, but now it runs down low and out, pretty much like stock. Will be getting one of those pepper box mufflers tomorrow then. I'm now making a sub frame for under seat above axle to mount the oil tank and also hold up some square fenders I plan to make for it. Got it done and waiting for paint to dry Will put on tomorrow. Still gotta figure out exact mounts for the tank. Painted floor plate too and made mounts for it using holes already in side of frame rails. Gotta work on painting hood now. Too bad I didn't leave orange with that nice job on it. At least just a little sanding and it should be good to spray then. I ordered some MM decals for it and my Golf cart and will have to get those on soon when they come. Outta look neat, I hope anyway!