• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 11, 2013 - 08:05 PM

You better not leave them on or HH may show up @ your shop!!

4 4' T8's on the roof and some old juice-hog 8' 300 watters over the workbenches for thes old eyes to see something..  

And HH-  I keep the doors closed!!  :D

You'd better have 'em closed by the look of the weather radar over that way about now!:D

"Old Eyes" is right!  I have several flashlights stashed all around the shop.  My favorite hand held is a little 7 LED flashlight/laser pointer (4 bucks in the hardware store) it fits into spaces where a headlamp won't... (Like when I couldn't find the backhoe pin keeper under the boom swivel casting yesterday at sunset!):D

#17 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 12:17 AM

We like the energy efficient twister bulbs in the "daylight" option. They don't alter the colour of wiring  and are very good for reading manuals-- no pulsing or flicker like some of you have already mentioned. These old eyes - for real--  sure can't take that anymore.

• Alc said thank you

#18 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 12, 2013 - 10:42 PM

I used the new style T8 in both my garages - they work for me

but if I really need light I get out the portable 500 watts halogen

give a lot of light - but it gets very hot

#19 rammer OFFLINE  

rammer

• Member No: 2057
  • 13 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:42 PM

when i built my 12 x 12' shed in 2007, i went down to the local home depot and bought two 4' double light T-8 (cold start) flourescents - i've got them plugged in (not hardwired) and haven't shut them off since installation ... plenty of light

.  lightweight checker plate cover

.  plug in (or you can hardwire)

.  chains are included to hang them from the ceiling.

i think i paid ~40 bucks each ... liked them so much i installed two more in our basement laundry/furnace areas.

Tom (rammer)

Grimsby, ON

ps - in hindsight, when i was at HD i should have bought some insulation ... frosty in that shed during the winter LOL.

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Given the support the T8 fixtures seem to be getting, I went with 4 triple bulb T8 fixtures for lighting the main work area, each plugged into its own duplex outlet but all on one main master switch.  I have one more for over the work bench. They all have their own pull chain so they will turn on/off individually.  I can also throw the master switch at the end of the night and it all goes black. 

IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

• GTTinkerer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#21 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 06:30 PM

4 of these

http://www.homedepot...-5#.Unl_aVMpW40

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#22 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:22 PM

My shop had 4 screw in bulb fixtures so I screwed in the bulb adapters that have 2 outlets built in. I have a 200w heavy duty bulb in each and plugged a 4' double T8 into each as well. Over the workbench I have another 4' T8 (and of course, a few lighted dealer signs for those times I REALLY need to see!)

#23 Papasmirf OFFLINE  

Papasmirf
  • Member No: 49247
  • 14 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:38 PM

Look at new T-8 and T-5 fluorescent lamp fixtures. I've just completed a 12500 sq.ft. building. We use 8' 2 and 4 lamp fixtures T-8's. The T -5 is even more efficient and brighter. Also use daylight lamps. You could mount some along the walls to give you more light under hoods of vehicles and equipment.
  • Alc said thank you

#24 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have 7 150w eqvlt CFL's in a 23'x27' garage plus a droplight on retractable reel and a 300 w quartz lite.

Mike 

• Alc said thank you

#25 bosbar OFFLINE  

bosbar
  • Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 08:52 AM

If you really want some light, cover your ceiling with celotex, shiny side down. Not only does it keep your heat from going through the roof, it really reflects the light. I have a combination of 14 4' and 8' lights. It's like the sun's out all the time.

#26 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 07:44 AM

solar lighting with inverter on led lighting & it dont have to be heaps expencive to buy & set up 

#27 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 07:55 AM

I swapped out the t12 over my work bench for a T8 light bank which has 4 4' bulbs. Big improvement.  I plan to replace the rest of lighting in garage with 4' T8's with 6 bulbs in each light bank. 4 of these units would illuminate my garage sufficiently. 

Edited by Jazz, October 13, 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#28 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 02:07 PM

I covered the ceiling of my 24x24 garage with three rows of T-8s on three switches. I added can lights over my work bench, drill press, chop saw and other work stations. Every other wall stud has two duplex 20A outlets with a 220V outlet at the front and rear walls just in case I ever get a 220 welder. My compressor is under the house hard piped to the garage. My retractable drop light is ceiling mounted by the garage door opener motor. If you can even find T12s stay away from them. They are supposed to be(maybe already) phased out. To help your light reflectivity, install drywall and roll on a few coats of white paint and keep your floor clean. It will be safer and will reflect light better. Drywall in a garage may seem to be overkill but save your nickels and add insulation as you catch it on sale and do one wall at a time. Drywall by itself is cheap plus it keeps sawdust from building up on the sill plates waiting for a spark from your welder. Watch the Habitat for Humanity stores. You can find good stuff there at very good prices. I've found brand new in the box fixtures for pennies on the dollar.
  • MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 02:49 PM

I wish I could afford LED lighting, but it would cost way too much for our 40x42 shop once we complete it.  I have no idea how much lighting I will need. I know the white metal I'm putting on the inside will help a lot, but it'll still take a lot of lights.  Gonna cost more than I can spend I'll bet.

#30 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Like TomLGT195 I also have the silver backed insulation. These are 4' Dual tube T-8 fixtures with electronic ballasts that I bought from an electrician new in the box with bulbs for $30.00 each. I bought 4. They have slotted (vents?) on top that really reflect off the ceiling, almost like having 4 bulb units. The fixtures are rather heavy as compared to the Lowe's or Home depot ones. He said that they were industrial fixtures, but I haven't seen this type any where else. They are great! lights up the shop better than I expected, the electric bill hasn't went up but a few dollars, and I expect that due to the portable A/C I run out here. I wouldn't know where to purchase any like these, but would be interested as I need to replace the ones in the old shop. I don't have the electrician's info any more.    

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks