• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• Member No: 7856
  • 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have been working on a 129 restore. Fired it up yesterday, it smoked really bad and after a bit oil started coming out of the exhaust. How far should I go on the rebuild? Advice on rebuilding is appreciated. I only want to take it apart once. Thanks!
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:47 PM

If you are going to do a rebuild, it is worth doing it completely. You will have an engine to last a lifetime!

Geno

• Jkrogers said thank you

#3 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would buy a rebuild kit.I think there around $150.I think the kits include connecting rod,valves,piston,rings, bearings,and gaskets.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:31 PM

You will need to take it apart completely and measure the cylinder and rod journals to see what it needs. If you aren't competent to do this, the machine shop will. If everything measures good, you may only need rings and a valve job. But, most likely, you will need more. Remember to 86 the balance gears. . . . .  or make some really nice candle holders for Christmas, your choice. It's always good to install new governor gears and point pushrod at rebuild.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:58 PM

If you are going to do it, do it all the way.  Spend the extra money to guarantee you won't ever have to do it again.  Your grandkids might, but if it is done well it will last you. 

A good rebuild is costly, but they don't make K series engines anymore, although they should: they were the best for the time.

Ben W.

• Jkrogers and Rock farmer have said thanks

#6 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• Member No: 7856
  • 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thanks guys, this tractor was close to being a parts tractor when I got it and it has taken awhile to gather parts to get it cranked to see what I had. I have got a good machine shop guy and I will get it torn down and work to get it back together right. Good thing is the hydro seems to work just fine.

I have a lot of experience with engines but not a lot with small engines. Sometimes they can be more be challenging than a full size engine.