Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is A Single Phase 8 Kw Generator Good Enough To Handle My Furnace, Fridge, Tv, And Some Lights ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Single phase doesn't mean just a single voltage. 99% of all small homeowner gennies are single phase whether single or dual voltage. As someone else already said, if it's 3 phase you couldn't even start to move it by hand. I guess a simple way to explain 3 phase power is go to an electric supply house that carries 3 phase motors and ask to see a 5 HP motor in 3 phase and the same in single phase. There's a large difference in size. IE: you get more usable power from 3 phase.
Mike

I know all about single phase and 3 phase. What my post states is exactly what I ran across. The generator WAS 110 only and marketed as single phase Not 220. It came with a whole garage lot that I purchased sight unseen. And technically 220 is 2 phase as they are opposite phase.

#32 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:32 AM

We have gotten about as far from the original posters Q as we can get. Let us suffice it to say that THIS generator has a 220 outlet and is "single phase". I do not doubt that one generator may not have them, and another does... I have a small gen set that is only 110. It's enough to run my fridge on and a couple lights.

We may be talking about many different animals with the same name.

If it is a 240v generator with a center tap transformer (like our power distrib) it would be 120/240 single phase.

If it has 2 windings 90 degree off, it would be able to do the same work, just be (2) 120v generations, in different phases. 2 phase, 120/240

If you removed one of the windings of the 2 phase, it would only be capable of single phase 120.

A fourth option is that this is a single phase 120v generator with a step up transformer for the 240v.

Without an electrical diagram or one to tear into, who knows?

#33 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 04:29 PM

this link explains it better than me :smilewink:             http://www.five-two-one.com/

Looks like a universal potential relay and a start cap to me. Everything I work on already has one. Am i missing something?

#34 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Looks like a universal potential relay and a start cap to me. Everything I work on already has one. Am i missing something?

Nope :D , funny around my service area only 50% of the units I see have them. As you know it's just a hard start, but this brand seens to last longer than others that I have used.

#35 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think the single phase referred to was just sales hype.

Mike

As explained above the Single phase means the type of energy that is supplied/ generated.  It is very important you buy the correct power Generating device that will produce the correct type of energy to power your household electrical equipment's needs.  

Single Phase is two hot legs only.  (each Hot leg carries 120 V AC.)  

Hot leg to Hot Leg connections will yield 240 V AC.  

One Hot leg to Neutral will be 120 V AC  **It is important to "Balance" how much energy is connected to each leg of the generator or the circuit breaker for the overloaded leg will trip..**

So 8000 W will provide either 33 Amps PEAK of 240 V AC OR  66 Amps PEAK of 120 V AC..  (**33 Amps per leg) Continuous loads will be a bit lower as stated above..

So 8000 Watts should power the fridge and some lighting & a water pump (*there are different horsepower pumps based on well depth)  but electric hot water tanks are energy hogs and may require a larger generator..  (10 KW should be enough)  Electric baseboard heating or clothes dryers is another energy hog and an even larger generator would be required..  So evaluate your home's electrical needs carefully and THEN shop for a generator to supply your basic energy needs..    

NEC Electrical code requires that you have a Main power isolating switch or device to ensure you do not send electrical power back out to the pole or your feed lines because that will put the power company repairmen at risk of electrocution!!

Just wanted to share a bit of info to help..  Hope it does..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 02, 2013 - 07:36 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#36 HydroHarold ONLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:43 AM

"Just wanted to share a bit of info to help.. Hope it does.."

Thank you!  This ffinally explains to me what the 2 load gauges in my generator transfer panel are reading.  Now I have a total grasp of yet another microscopic bit of electrical knowledge... but 12vDC is my absolute working voltage limit!:D

#37 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Okayyyy.... after starting all this stuff I ended up getting the Predator generator from Harbor Freight.  Reviews looked pretty good, and the price was right.  $529 for 8750 surge / 7000 running watts. with electric start.    Got it yesterday, and put the wheel kit on this morning. Ran around looking for a battery but didn't find one yet. Monday I'll  check out a motorcycle shop a couple of towns away.   BUT----- be prepared for more dumb quesitions, lol !   Like :   Manual says it has to be grounded before use. I'm "fairly" sure that's if it's hard wired to the house; which I hope to get done before winter; but I want to run some tests under load with just extension cords, Will that be alright ??  and to open up yet another can of worms.......    I always use Stabil or Startron in my gas engines,  and have never had a problem with either summer or winter stuff, so I imagine the gen. would be safe ?

#38 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just crank & run the generator once a month or month & a half & let her run till full temps.  Plus plug something into the generator to jog it as well.  Running it regularly is the best way to keep it in ready shape, plus the fuel conditioner of course.  After a year, I'll drain the old gas out & replace with fresh.  I put the old gas in a piece of farm equipment to use it up.  

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:36 PM

So the battery tray is sized for a motorcycle battery?  Walmart carries most sizes.  If it would hold a GT size battery, I'd go with that.

#40 oldtimer ONLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I went to Walmart near us, and they were out of the only battery that might fit.    The search continues.   Thanks for answering my question about maintenance.   How 'bout the grounding thing if I just  plug in a few things to see if it works ??  

#41 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I've never ran a dedicated ground to mine, but that IS the proper way.  

#42 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:55 PM

I went to Walmart near us, and they were out of the only battery that might fit.    The search continues.   Thanks for answering my question about maintenance.   How 'bout the grounding thing if I just  plug in a few things to see if it works ??  

Shouldn't have to ground it, the things you plug in will be grounded thru unit. Give me an email if you want to know how to run it with-out a hard wired panel. I never could justify the cost of wiring in permanent because of time of use , so I do like most of the other 80% of users in a emergency outage at of cost of about 75 bucks and 5 minutes of time. 

#43 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Thanks John, that sounds good to me!