Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is A Single Phase 8 Kw Generator Good Enough To Handle My Furnace, Fridge, Tv, And Some Lights ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:40 PM

This's the first time I've heard of a single phase gen.  Anybody know how good they are for home use ?  HD has this one :

Valsi 8,000-Watt Kohler Command Gasoline Powered Portable Electric Start Single Phase Contractor Generator

#2 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have 4000-watt  We can run  the TV , blower on the furnace, fridge, some lights, a burner on the stove and PC, but not the AC

Edited by Grumpy, September 01, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

• oldtimer said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 03:26 PM

That should do the job just fine. Plenty of power to start a deep well pump if you need that. If you get a generator make sure you use a fuel stabilizer in your gas and run the generator monthly to make sure it will be ready for you when you need it down the road. 

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Amps multiplied by Volts will give you the Maximum Watts needed to operate your electrical equipment.

Hope this helps..

Example- 8 Amp motor at 110V. = 880 Watts

#5 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 04:47 PM

It would power a house however the fuel use would be enough to kill the deal for me. I would suggest some thing in the 5,000 watt size for most residential settings.

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 01, 2013 - 04:56 PM

A 5000 watt genset is not a whole lot of power. When oldtimer posted single phase, which you don't see very often, that means 110-120 volts only, no 220 volts that some refer to as 2 Phase, which is correct, but not usually used. If you have a deep well pump, chances are it's not "single phase". It's 220/240 volts and a "single phase" will not do it!

• oldtimer and OkieGt have said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Single phase does include 120 and 240.  The 240 is simply two separate legs of 120V lines working together.  I have a 5500 watt generator, and I DO run my 3 ton 220v air conditioner unit, and TV, plus lights.  I can't run the AC and hot water heater together, but I can run either if the other is off.

• Texas Deere and Horse, oldtimer, marlboro180 and 1 other said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Here is the generator he's referring to. It has 110 and 220 volt outlets. A 30 amp twist lock outlet for 220volts.  I'm not sure where the single phase business is coming from in the specs. Normally phase is not referred to unless you have 3 phase power which is used in industrial/commercial applications. 

http://www.homedepot...05#.UiPBLODFVLU

• Texas Deere and Horse, oldtimer and marlboro180 have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think the single phase referred to was just sales hype.

Mike

• oldtimer, marlboro180 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 OkieGt ONLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:18 PM

7 GALLONS AND HOUR, Holy Smokes, You would have to live next door to a tank farm

#11 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Single phase does include 120 and 240.  The 240 is simply two separate legs of 120V lines working together.  I have a 5500 watt generator, and I DO run my 3 ton 220v air conditioner unit, and TV, plus lights.  I can't run the AC and hot water heater together, but I can run either if the other is off.

I was the unhappy "owner" of a single phase generator and that is exactly what it meant!!! 110 volts. So don't assume it is a 220 volt.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:23 PM

7 GALLONS AND HOUR, Holy Smokes, You would have to live next door to a tank farm

I read that as 6.8 gal lasting 8 hours at 50% load.
  • oldtimer and OkieGt have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I read that as 6.8 gal lasting 8 hours at 50% load.

Thats 60.00 a day, right, wow, I think I might sell my 8,000w with the 14hp kohler K321 on it and go with a diesel gen set hooked to my IH424. I've never used the old kohler gen set, it's only been used a few times in its life except to start and test. We've only lost power for more than an hour once in the last 25 years. A friend of mine lost all his food the winter we did lose power, because he was not smart enough to remove his food from the ice box that got hot and put it in the ice cold garage, or house as he didn't even have a fireplace or stove, that's what happens when you let the little lady design the house, "ew those stoves/fireplaces look ugly, lets put a 16 foot tall wall of windows in here instead" that way we can heat the place in the summer and freeze in the winter, yeah it's like that

#14 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I was the unhappy "owner" of a single phase generator and that is exactly what it meant!!! 110 volts. So don't assume it is a 220 volt.

GP, This is the generator that the OP was talking about, this is from the Home Depot website,

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Valsi is a brand of industrial grade generators manufactured in North America. Our generators are manufactured with the highest quality components, including brand name industrial gasoline engines and all copper winding, brushless, 5000 hour alternators with low harmonic distortion for clean electrical output. All our generators come with wheel portability kit, steel constructed gasoline tank, no flat tires and voltmeter as standard along with a 1 year commercial and 2 year residential warranty.

• 8000-watt maximum and 7000-watt continuous. Provides clean power output for appliances, tools and power outages
  • Rugged all steel construction 6.8 gallon gas tanks with fuel gauge provides generator with 7hr continuous run time
  • Kohler command CH15 industrial grade gasoline engine provides dependable long life power with dual electric-recoil start
  • Twin bearing, brushless, all copper winding alternators with 5000 hour service life and less than 5 harmonic distortions for clean power output
  • Two 120-volt duplex outlets and one 220-volt Twistlock outlet with rain protection caps and overload protection
  • 8 in. Solid no flat wheels and handle kit for low maintenance and ease of portability
  • High and low oil engine shutdown to prevent engine damage
  • 1 in. Square tube constructed full protection frame with powder coat anti-corrosion paint finish
  • Click on the “More Info” tab to download the specifications pdf to view the wattage requirement guide
  • MFG Model # : G80MG1500KVAE

• Bruce Dorsi and oldtimer have said thanks

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:19 PM

GP, This is the generator that the OP was talking about, this is from the Home Depot website,

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Valsi is a brand of industrial grade generators manufactured in North America. Our generators are manufactured with the highest quality components, including brand name industrial gasoline engines and all copper winding, brushless, 5000 hour alternators with low harmonic distortion for clean electrical output. All our generators come with wheel portability kit, steel constructed gasoline tank, no flat tires and voltmeter as standard along with a 1 year commercial and 2 year residential warranty.

• 8000-watt maximum and 7000-watt continuous. Provides clean power output for appliances, tools and power outages
  • Rugged all steel construction 6.8 gallon gas tanks with fuel gauge provides generator with 7hr continuous run time
  • Kohler command CH15 industrial grade gasoline engine provides dependable long life power with dual electric-recoil start
  • Twin bearing, brushless, all copper winding alternators with 5000 hour service life and less than 5 harmonic distortions for clean power output
  • Two 120-volt duplex outlets and one 220-volt Twistlock outlet with rain protection caps and overload protection
  • 8 in. Solid no flat wheels and handle kit for low maintenance and ease of portability
  • High and low oil engine shutdown to prevent engine damage
  • 1 in. Square tube constructed full protection frame with powder coat anti-corrosion paint finish
  • Click on the “More Info” tab to download the specifications pdf to view the wattage requirement guide
  • MFG Model # : G80MG1500KVAE

Reads like a super generator for the money.