29 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think GT collectors are starting to produce ancient power equipment archeologists with in its ranks. I will approach the scientific community and ask that we be included in the archeological fields of study, wonder what they will say, lol

• wilberj, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:28 PM

We would have to apply for a Federal Grant. Then we would be recognized as a legitimate scientific field of study. It actually isn't very hard you just have to speak like a politician(lie) on the application. I remember a $15,000 grant in 1976 to study toilet paper rolls dropped out of small planes. They would pay $100,000 today to do the same study(better tp is thicker now). Unfortunately, if its recognized as a field of study the IRS will tax us. Good Luck, Rick
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:52 PM

We would have to apply for a Federal Grant. Then we would be recognized as a legitimate scientific field of study. It actually isn't very hard you just have to speak like a politician(lie) on the application. I remember a $15,000 grant in 1976 to study toilet paper rolls dropped out of small planes. They would pay $100,000 today to do the same study(better tp is thicker now). Unfortunately, if its recognized as a field of study the IRS will tax us. Good Luck, Rick

Maybe not if we apply for a 501© non profit status, I know very few of us make a profit off this hobby, no matter what we tell our wives

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:54 PM

If you want something entered into a big museum in D.C. - you have to write them a check , prove diversity was fully involved , and that the items predated the Nina , Pinta , and the Santa Maria . Them maybe consideration will be given . Or maybe not .

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:58 PM

If you want something entered into a big museum in D.C. - you have to write them a check , prove diversity was fully involved , and that the items predated the Nina , Pinta , and the Santa Maria . Them maybe consideration will be given . Or maybe not .

That would exlude Lindbergh airplane and space ships, and worst of all Superman and Elvis memorabilia

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Items have been either deleted or stored elsewhere in the big buildings depending on current priorities and financial desires , I mean conditions  :rolling:

• OkieGt said thank you

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Items have been either deleted or stored elsewhere in the big buildings depending on current priorities and financial desires , I mean conditions  :rolling:

I was not talking about museums, not sure how that even came up or was inferred, I was rather talking about field study of old power equipment and publishing journals like the scientific community does museums areno more than peep show for thepublic and a way for organization to fund themselves, but actually many museums arepublicly funded by tax dollars, AND most museum paid for much of what they display, yes there is alot of stuff in warehouses, But I guess the humorous point to my post was buried, lol

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Since we got on the subject of museums. I was stationed at FT Belvoir, VA in the 70s. I spent many weekends in the DC area museums. Most were great.

I took my scouts to DC, 3 years ago and the Smithsonian was changed like our society has. I was very disappointed. We were going to go for a second day but a storm knocked out much of the power in DC. We decided to check out the new U.S.M.C. Museum in Quantico, VA. It is very well done and there were a bunch of veterans there to talk to about the various displays. I got to talking with one elderly gentleman about Chosin. Two old Army combat engineers comparing experiences. My scouts had to drag me out of there.

A well done GT museum is a pretty good idea. We tend to be the "alsos" at the tractor shows around my area. I think the old Bolens plant is empty, it should go in there. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 01, 2013 - 02:01 PM.

• Sparky and OkieGt have said thanks

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Since we got on the subject of museums. I was stationed at FT Belvoir, VA in the 70s. I spent many weekends in the DC area museums. Most were great.

I took my scouts to DC, 3 years ago and the Smithsonian was changed like our society has. I was very disappointed. We were going to go for a second day but a storm knocked out much of the power in DC. We decided to check out the new U.S.M.C. Museum in Quantico, VA. It is very well done and there were a bunch of veterans there to talk to about the various displays. I got to talking with one elderly gentleman about Chosin. Two old Army combat engineers comparing experiences. My scouts had to drag me out of there.

A well done GT museum is a pretty good idea. We tend to be the "alsos" at the tractor shows around my area. I think the old Bolens plant is empty, it should go in there. Good Luck, Rick

It wasn't the direction my post was going, I was just strying to be funny/humorous but your post is right on and Ithink there should be a GT museum, I donate to it.

• Sparky and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think GT collectors are starting to produce ancient power equipment archeologists with in its ranks. I will approach the scientific community and ask that we be included in the archeological fields of study, wonder what they will say, lol

All I ask is a PHd.

Ben W.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:57 PM

All I ask is a PHd.

Ben W.

you got it, lol

• superaben said thank you

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:48 PM

All I ask is a PHd.

Ben W.

you got it, lol

Check your profile, it's been added. Need anything else?

• HowardsMF155, superaben and OkieGt have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Check your profile, it's been added. Need anything else?

As in DR. Ben Casey, sorry i couldnt help it

• superaben said thank you

#14 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:53 PM

I love history and wish I could get payed doing it. Just think of how many hours I have just spent on Bolens Ridemaster stuff you guys would go nuts if you already not..

• boyscout862, superaben and OkieGt have said thanks

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:56 PM

I love history and wish I could get payed doing it. Just think of how many hours I have just spent on Bolens Ridemaster stuff you guys would go nuts if you already not..

This is what i'm talking about. Saving what we know to archives, so it is not lost, much big tractor historyhas already been lost mainly because they did not have the technology we have today

• wilberj and superaben have said thanks