#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well what happens when you have a parts 446 minus engine and a 222. You come up with a 442 that Case never built. Got bored one night and figures why not. I started with a 222 in decent shape and a great engine. Swapped everything over and here ya go! uploadfromtaptalk1378047162446.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378047188624.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378047209715.jpg This was '73 222. The donor tractor was an '81 446. Hence the long frame fenders. I thought they would be too long for getting on and off but its not much different. I didn't do a full paint job. The frame, axles, and engine have not been touched by me. The stuff I painted was done in all Case dealer bought paint. So obviously someone before me didn't use the correct color on the other stuff. I painted the fenders (seat supports included), wheels, and hood. I also have a 442 decal kit that best matched the 222's decals. Does anyone have any pics they can post of a 444 around the same year and paint so I can see how these all line up? Also, how long should I wait before adding them? The paint is a little over a week old. I just assembled everything this morning. Still have to install and wire the headlights. Also any tips on the seat? Its an original Case seat. Wouldn't mind getting something a little better looking. I'm looking for a factory or at least real close to factory seat. Hope you all enjoy! Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dropped82, September 01, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hmmmmm.  I have a 446 with a bad engine and a 222 with possible hydraulic issues.  Now I'm getting second thoughts about my plans for them.  Would you mind sharing what things you dis for the switch?

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:07 PM

It really wasn't all that bad. You have to swap the front axle and spindles. They share the sane wheels. Also the steering link is the same length but the 400 series is thicker. Also the complete rearend motor included. The 400 series hydro motor is a lower RPM to keep the speeds down. Also with lower RPM and the same flow you will get a higher torque output with the 400 series as opposed to the 200 series. If you kept the 200 series motor it would be scary fast! The only other difference is the fenders. They share the same seat supports. Its 100% bolt in job. No drilling, cutting or welding. The 200 and 400 share the same frame. The only difference were the '81 and later 400 series frames were 4" longer but as you can tell with mine it still works. I did keep the 222's hydro lines since my donor 446' were longer. They are the same diameter. Just longer to accommodate the longer frame.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• jdslednut and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:25 PM

It really wasn't all that bad. You have to swap the front axle and spindles. They share the sane wheels. Also the steering link is the same length but the 400 series is thicker. Also the complete rearend motor included. The 400 series hydro motor is a lower RPM to keep the speeds down. Also with lower RPM and the same flow you will get a higher torque output with the 400 series as opposed to the 200 series. If you kept the 200 series motor it would be scary fast! The only other difference is the fenders. They share the same seat supports. Its 100% bolt in job. No drilling, cutting or welding. The 200 and 400 share the same frame. The only difference were the '81 and later 400 series frames were 4" longer but as you can tell with mine it still works. I did keep the 222's hydro lines since my donor 446' were longer. They are the same diameter. Just longer to accommodate the longer frame.

Eric

Now this is a re-engineering job I really like, ya done good, real good!!!!!

#5 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well what happens when you have a parts 446 minus engine and a 222. You come up with a 442 that Case never built. Does anyone have any pics they can post of a 444 around the same year and paint so I can see how these all line up? Also, how long should I wait before adding them? The paint is a little over a week old. Also any tips on the seat? Its an original Case seat. Wouldn't mind getting something a little better looking. I'm looking for a factory or at least real close to factory seat.

First off you did a good job. As mentioned in another post using the hydraulic motor from a 200 series in a 400 series is possible and I did it to my 446 that I use strictly for lawn mowing only. You do loose some drive power, but it's very suitable for mowing and in high range its fast. Make sure everything is tight in the steering cause she goes about 15 mph. It's pretty awesome.

To answer your questions. Case did build a 442 in 1969 - 72. I will attach some pics for you. If the paint has been drying a week you should be good. That's how long I normally wait to install decals. The seat can be ordered through a dealer or Michigan Seat Company has some that look nice but will require drilling different holes to mount it. They are available through Northern Tool here.... http://www.northernt...y-vehicle-seats

It's kinda neat how it has the older Desert Sunset Paint and newer style fenders nice job.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• a903Big.jpg
  • 135081.jpg
  • 224.jpg
  • DSCN0331.JPG

Edited by Mjoe7, September 01, 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yes you are correct on that 442 being built. They stopped building them in '72. So I figured I may catch some heckling for building and decaling a '73 442. I'm just gonna call it a "grown up" 222 lol. Now I'm thinking of throwing together a long frame 200 series lol. I have everything but an engine. Or maybe extend it and put a dump bed on it! Hmmmm? Thanks for the pics. I may put the decals on tonight. I'm not a fan of installing decals for fear of putting one on crooked. Anyone ever used maple hunter decal? Can I wet them down so I can move them around? Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dropped82, September 01, 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Found this on ebay from a 1971 442.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2eca0c2965

Attached Thumbnails

• 442 hood.jpg

#8 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 03:38 PM

I considered that but considering the year of mine beibg '73, I wanted to also have the '73 style decals. Fortunately Maple Hunter had them. The Case is in a different lettering.

Eric

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I considered that but considering the year of mine beibg '73, I wanted to also have the '73 style decals. Fortunately Maple Hunter had them. The Case is in a different lettering.

Eric

Maple Hunter has them buy year along with separte dash decals with a little soapy water you'll be okay, dont over think it or rush it

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I got the '76 and earlier 442 set. Still haven't got the dash decal even though I need one. I will get that when I paint the frame and axles.

Eric

#11 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Well went ahead and dove in head first on the decals. I only put on the hood, range selector, and rear decals. Anything on the frame will just be more to sand off this winter when I can get to painting it the right color. I know, I know, I should've tore it down but I have work to do with it so I just did the basics for paint. Here ya go!
uploadfromtaptalk1378094098434.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378094114872.jpg
Didn't really know where to put the rear one. I've seen them in different spots. I thought this looked good. If its not the right spot then I made this tractor my own lol. Even if I sell it down the road, I will always recognize it lol.

Eric

• bigspoon said thank you

#12 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 02:41 AM

The back one usually went on back of the seat. Kinda to one side. I prefer the center though. Looks fine. Decals can be removed with a heat gun and your finger nail by slowly pulling them off. I just did it on a 1990 JD 332 hood I repainted for a guy. I managed to pull one decal off completely with out it breaking. Stretched it out though. LOL!

Yours looks great! Cant wait to see it all done when you get to the frame.

#13 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 10:02 AM

It won't be till winter when I do everything else. I have too mount the sleeve hitch now and get it ready for Daniel's plow day. Then of course I have to turn mine over shortly considering its already September. Is the seat pan supposed to be a different color then black? The decal is black and so is my seat pan. On my later 446 it has a white Case decal on the seat. Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dropped82, September 02, 2013 - 10:04 AM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 10:17 AM

It won't be till winter when I do everything else. I have too mount the sleeve hitch now and get it ready for Daniel's plow day. Then of course I have to turn mine over shortly considering its already September. Is the seat pan supposed to be a different color then black? The decal is black and so is my seat pan. On my later 446 it has a white Case decal on the seat. Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I think early seat pans may have been the lighter cream

#15 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm not too worried about it being on the seat. Definitely too late now lol. I do like it there. I plan on putting a taillight on the other side. At least now I will have something on the other fender. Well to continue on, I got the sleeve hitch I made a while back mounted. Not too bad. Just needs some paint.
uploadfromtaptalk1378179890496.jpg

After looking at it, I'm gonna go ahead and drill the other 2 outside holes and weld nuts for the stabilizer. I would think my plow will need to be a little closer to the tire. Which hole do you guys mount your plows?

Also found my other good lens from my parts tractor. I can now mount the headlights. Although I think I'm done for the night. Gotta work in the morning.

Eric

• OkieGt said thank you