34 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will point you HERE for the explanation you are looking for.

I appreciate it Ryan, sorry for getting OT, and again, thanks for all the info!!!!

#17 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Actually, every one of the steel body PKs are all gear drive, it was not until the introduction of the fiberglass body tractors in the mid 80's that they released a hydrostatic drive tractor; also, the fiberglass tractors that where gear driven had a slightly different drive-train then the steel body tractors.

The very first tractors that Economy made only had 24 inch tires. Eventually they came out with other models that had 16 inch tires, but never got rid of the 24 inch models. Even when they went to the fiberglass tractors, they did not get rid of the 16 or 24 inch models; actually, they introduced an even smaller tractor with 12 inch wheels.

This first models had 22 inch wheels and near as I can tell Counrtry Squire was the first to offer a 16 inch wheel as it appeared they made their own or had EP make a square center that fit fit a 5 bolt hub.Those 22 inch tires and rims are a booger when it comes to trying to restore those early tractors.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Ryan313 and OkieGt have said thanks

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:13 PM

This first models had 22 inch wheels and near as I can tell Counrtry Squire was the first to offer a 16 inch wheel as it appeared they made their own or had EP make a square center that fit fit a 5 bolt hub.Those 22 inch tires and rims are a booger when it comes to trying to restore those early tractors.

Brain fart! Thanks for clearing it up!

#19 Jaydeestude OFFLINE  

Jaydeestude
  • Member No: 34566
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:19 PM

The Country Squire was not the first 16".  As you said, some of the early Economys had 22" wheels but some also had 16".  I have two 1948 chain steers that are both 16" spoke wheels keyed to the axle.  I think somewhere around 1950 some used the 16" wheels with the square center and 5 bolt hub. 

Jaydee

• OkieGt said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:52 PM

And all this time, I thought these were simple tractors!

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:06 PM

The Country Squire was not the first 16".  As you said, some of the early Economys had 22" wheels but some also had 16".  I have two 1948 chain steers that are both 16" spoke wheels keyed to the axle.  I think somewhere around 1950 some used the 16" wheels with the square center and 5 bolt hub. 

Jaydee

So I wasnt wrong afterall, lol, that is a first

#22 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Jaydee

Well I can't say for sure what was actually put out from the factory but I can go from information that I have and it shows that 1947 and 1948 came only with 22 inch rubber and 1950 came with 24 inch but may have some early ones may have had 22 inch.1951 came only with 24 inch or says the information I have.Many or the 22 inch rims have been rusted beyond repair and the high price of tires have caused some people to shorten the 22 inch and use 16 inch wheels and tires.The records show the country Squire as the first EP tractor to use 16 wheels.

• OkieGt said thank you

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:27 PM

You gotta love this place, you ask about a tractor to see if it's a decent deal and get the whole Co. history. :thumbs:

• KennyP and OkieGt have said thanks

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:35 PM

You gotta love this place, you ask about a tractor to see if it's a decent deal and get the whole Co. history. :thumbs:

Thats what i was trying to say in my GT archeologist posting

#25 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:37 PM

I know JD well enough to know that he knows these tractors well and I am not about to say that he is wrong as he may very well be correct as I am only basing what I say from information that I have.I also know this company strayed mixing and matching parts throughout the years and probably more so in the early years.

#26 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well I stand corrected as I just looked at a 1947 manual that stated that 16 inch wheels were an option for that year.

#27 Jaydeestude OFFLINE  

Jaydeestude
  • Member No: 34566
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:14 PM

I again have to diss-agree.  As I said, I have two 1948s with 16" wheels (the original welded up flat spoke wheels with a keyed axle) and can name another half dozen 46, 47 and 48s that I know of with 16".  I don't know what you are refering to when you  say the information you have. but it seems that what shows up on some early literature and what the company actually put out don't always match.  I know there is some information on the Yahoo PK site on the early chain steer tractors noting all the little differences but they have changed the Yahoo groups to a "new and improved" version that SUCKS and I can't access anything there right now. 

Jaydee

#28 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:26 PM

I again have to diss-agree.  As I said, I have two 1948s with 16" wheels (the original welded up flat spoke wheels with a keyed axle) and can name another half dozen 46, 47 and 48s that I know of with 16".  I don't know what you are refering to when you  say the information you have. but it seems that what shows up on some early literature and what the company actually put out don't always match.  I know there is some information on the Yahoo PK site on the early chain steer tractors noting all the little differences but they have changed the Yahoo groups to a "new and improved" version that SUCKS and I can't access anything there right now. 

Jaydee

if you push the quote button people will know better to who or what post your referring to, especially since newer posts have established the fact that 16" wheel were around from the start with no objections, just saying.

#29 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Jaydee

Yes I understand that there are early 16" tractors out there but they may have came that way from the factory or the spokes may have been cut down and a 16" rim welded on.

I know the files you are talking about and they have 16",22" and 24' listed on the database on chain steer tractors but those files are listing tractors as they are now.Yes,the new Yahoo format sucks.

• OkieGt said thank you

#30 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:20 PM

My information came from early brochures and owners manuals and I know they are not all accurate but that is all I had to go from.This information comes from a person along with his wife who is thought to be a top authority figure on these early tractors by many people and extensively documents chain steer tractors.,Bill C,

The 1946 and 1947 models used 22" and 16" spoked wheels.  In early 1948, they changed to only 24" wheels (still spoked).  In 1950 they used the International Harvester 24" disc wheels, although the basic models in 1950 and 1951 still had 24" spoked wheels.   (The October 1, 1951 parts list which is the start of the 1952 model year lists the 22" as obsolete, since those were only used on 1946's and 1947's.)

EPCO offered 16" disc  wheels (starting late 1951/ early 1952 based on the October 1, 1951 parts list and observation), but not on an Economy -  you had to buy a Country Squire or PowerKing (or Red E through a different company) to get the 16" disc wheels.  (Believe this is when those square wheels were used.) JIm Dandy begins to be used as a name later in the 1950's and used 16" disc wheels, too.  By the 1962 brochure, tractors with the name Economy do have the option of either 16" or 24" rear wheels, but I'm not sure what year that became an option.