• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:01 AM

Got a call from Dad to come and look at this PK that he has found for sale. I have to say that PK's are one brand of GT that I know very little about. I think it's a decent deal, but just don't know enough about them to say either way. The guy wants $1,200.00 for the tractor, 4' Box Blade, 4' grader, 12" plow and a tool bar with a set of hiller shoes on it, all are CAT "0" 3PT. I believe it to be a model 2412 with a K301 Kohler, single transmission and Hydraulic lift. Paint and tire are average.

IMG_20130830_111327_796.jpg IMG_20130830_111439_254.jpg IMG_20130830_111428_011.jpg IMG_20130830_111416_662.jpg IMG_20130830_111553_105.jpg IMG_20130830_111602_271.jpg IMG_20130830_111341_587.jpg IMG_20130830_111335_408.jpg

IMG_20130830_111455_627.jpg IMG_20130830_111514_694.jpg IMG_20130830_111524_821.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Good looking tractor. That BB looks well built!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:05 AM

If it runs decent I would say that's a deal with all the attachments. Up here in the Northeast I see just the tractors going for that price.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Looked up the serial number and it is a '75.

I would say that with what it has, $1200 is a more then fair price for a 24 inch model. I will have to take a closer look on the desktop.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#5 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Don't sound like to bad of a deal I thought I wanted one until I got on one a friend had for sale. Just didn't feel good to use take it for a test ride

• Texas Deere and Horse and OkieGt have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yhat is a good deal, but as one poster said DRIVE it, they are a mower primitive type of tractor than newer GTs, the newer all gear drive late 80-90s PKs are more like our GTs but werent offered in the 24 inch models. Gotta realize this virtually the same tractor as was introduced in the late 1940s

Edited by OkieGt, September 01, 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#7 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:47 AM

If it was close to me and I had the cash, I would buy it. That is a lot of stuff coming with it and it looks to have a new or rebuilt steering box. The only thing I'm not sure of is why there is a K301 in a 1975 PK. Someone has a chart on tractor/engine combinations, I just have to remember who.

Steve

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Now that I am on the desktop, I can pick it apart a little more. The body tunnel is cut, it has been painted, not the original exhaust which could be better or worse then the original, the engine may have been replaced, as it is not orange.

Another thing I noticed is that the front wheels have a lot of lean, the bearings are probably worn.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Now that I am on the desktop, I can pick it apart a little more. The body tunnel is cut, it has been painted, not the original exhaust which could be better or worse then the original, the engine may have been replaced, as it is not orange.

Another thing I noticed is that the front wheels have a lot of lean, the bearings are probably worn.

Why would the tunnel cover be cut, to get to trans?

Is it the wheel bearing or spindle bearings? Are they bushings?

I will check the engine more Tuesday.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Actually, every one of the steel body PKs are all gear drive, it was not until the introduction of the fiberglass body tractors in the mid 80's that they released a hydrostatic drive tractor; also, the fiberglass tractors that where gear driven had a slightly different drive-train then the steel body tractors.

The very first tractors that Economy made only had 24 inch tires. Eventually they came out with other models that had 16 inch tires, but never got rid of the 24 inch models. Even when they went to the fiberglass tractors, they did not get rid of the 16 or 24 inch models; actually, they introduced an even smaller tractor with 12 inch wheels.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Ryan, You are the "MAN" when it comes to knowing these PK's !! :thumbs:

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Actually, every one of the steel body PKs is all gear drive, it was not until the introduction of the fiberglass body tractors in the mid 80's that they released a hydrostatic drive tractor; also, the fiberglass tractors that where gear driven had a slightly different drive-train then the steel body tractors.

The very first tractors that Economy made only had 24 inch tires. Eventually they came out with other models that had 16 inch tires, but never got rid of the 24 inch models. Even when they went to the fiberglass tractors, they did not get rid of the 16 or 24 inch models; actually, they introduced an even smaller tractor with 12 inch wheels.

Yes but I thought economy was proceeded or had a lower level called Jim Dandy that had 16 inch tires, and I thought economy was called by another name before economy, maybe I'm wrong. I wasn't saying that thePK weren't gear drive, just the opposite, but that some of the new models were gear drive, others not. I think were both saying the same things, but it really isn't pertinent to this tractor. You know your PKs. As with many PKs I've seen their previous owners have found it necessary to modify them because of one reason or another. And you really have to look one over that's been "freshened up" for resale. The phrase "freshened up" will guarantee that I will never consider buying a tractor that the seller uses that phrase, ever. What it means most of the time is he has cobbled the tractor together and somehow gotten it to the point he can find a sucker to dump it on. By the time you get into one of these freshened tractors many times you find they may only be parts tractors. But I amnot saying that about this PK at all, just saying, ya gotta look real close, lots of shysters out there. PKs are awesone tractors but hteir use and our GTs use may vary widely, a GT may primary be a mower that does snow removal and gardening chores, wheras the PK is baiscally a little tractor meant for primarily farming, but can mow and push dirt or snow

Edited by OkieGt, September 01, 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Why would the tunnel cover be cut, to get to trans?

Is it the wheel bearing or spindle bearings? Are they bushings?

I will check the engine more Tuesday.

Yes, that is why it would be cut, really no other reason. After years of use the button on the bottom of the shift lever gets worn, and causes the tranny to jam. You can find more information on it HERE. It is a very easy repair, and I did a write up on it HERE. Also, if you get a chance to drive it, try all gears and listen for noises from the tranny, the bearing tend to wear out on them.

While you are at it, you should check the entire front end in the tractor. Check the bushings in the spindles, thrust bearing between the spindles and axle, and where the axle pivots on the frame. Where it pivots on the frame it will probably have a bearing inside the hub of the axle, some had bushings. Also check the backside of the pivot, sometimes where the nut is welded to the frame it will break. Another thing to check is the small wheel hub axles where they go into the spindle, that is supposed to be tightened so it does not move by the nut on the back. All of these things usually show wear by now, but what is likely causing the wheels to be at the angle are bad bearings in the wheel hubs.

Here is a diagram of the front end; I put red dots on the things I mentioned to check.

Attached Files

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and OkieGt have said thanks

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yes but I thought economy was proceeded or had a lower level called Jim Dandy that had 16 inch tires, and I thought economy was called by another name before economy, maybe I'm wrong. I wasn't saying that thePK weren't gear drive, just the opposite, but that some of the new models were gear drive, others not. I think were both saying the same things, but it really isn't pertinent to this tractor. You know your PKs. As with many PKs I've seen their previous owners have found it necessary to modify them because of one reason or another. And you really have to look one over that's been "freshened up" for resale. The phrase "freshened up" will guarantee that I will never consider buying a tractor that the seller uses that phrase, ever. What it means most of the time is he has cobbled the tractor together and somehow gotten it to the point he can find a sucker to dump it on. By the time you get into one of these freshened tractors many times you find they may only be parts tractors. But I amnot saying that about this PK at all, just saying, ya gotta look real close, lots of shysters out there. PKs are awesone tractors but hteir use and our GTs use may vary widely, a GT may primary be a mower that does snow removal and gardening chores, wheras the PK is baiscally a little tractor meant for primarily farming, but can mow and push dirt or snow

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will point you HERE for the explanation you are looking for.

• KennyP and OkieGt have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 12:02 PM