2182 Cub Cadet Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 qtrhrs86 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33913
  • 10 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I have a 2182 cub cadet super with a kubota gas engine. I was mowing when out of nowhere tractor started losing all power and wanted to die. I quickly turned off the pto and it would run fine, turn the pto on and it wanted to die. When flipping the pto switch I notice the amp light flashing on/off, raising the rpm's it would stay off. I let the tractor sit for about 20 minutes, tried to mow, it ran fine with the pto on for 3-4 minutes and started acting up again. I put a new battery in it 3 months ago, could the rectifier or alternator be bad? Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks

• Texas Deere and Horse and Douglasduek have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 01:07 AM

I would check the wiring to the clutch and see if it's shorting out somewhere. Also check the ground to the battery, make sure it's a clean connection. If the tractor starts right back up, I doubt it's in the Alt/Rec. or the battery would be dead.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I don't know if there is a set of interlock contacts in the PTO switch but if there is that could be a source of trouble as well. The battery voltage should tell you if it's charging properly. As mentioned above, any bad connections in the charging circuit, including the connection from battery - to chassis, will cause reduced charging current and maybe it's low enough to cause your battery to run down when the PTO is engaged for long periods of time. The regulator could also be giving out on you. 

#4 Kyocum OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6171
  • 270 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:01 AM

First thing that I would check is the battery voltage with the engine running at 1/2 throttle or so. If you are reading 13.6vdc or in that neighborhood you can pretty much rule out a charging issue. You need to start at the source and move on from there. As JDBrian stated make sure all the ground connections are in good shape. If you don't read that you can check the 2 wires that come out of the engine alternator to the rectifier for a 30 VAC reading or better at full throttle. That will tell you the condition of the alternator. I just had to replace the reg/rectifier on my 3 cyl. kubota deisel Cub for a non charging issue.